Question for DisneyDarwin....kayaking in Key West

umich cruiser

Earning My Ears
I read that you kayaked in Key West. We are planning to do the same. Looking on-line there are many kayak rentals. Which did you use? Was it easy to get to? Where did you kayak? Did you have a guide or just use a map? Lots of questions, I know, but I need help to plan this. Thanks alot

Hi umich cruiser -

Not DisneyDarwin but haven't seen him around for awhile so I'll pass along what we've found out.

The biggy is to be VERY careful what you book in terms of kayaking in the Key West area. Shirley and Norm did some checking for us when they were down there in November and the most visible provider has you kayak through a canal that cuts through downtown and ends up in the salt basin! Not what we were looking for.

Also you need to differentiate between the sea kayaking and the other kayaking.

We did more checking and ended up booking the excursion that DCL offers. It takes you to one of the wildlife refuges in the area and further conversation with Norm and the DCL excursion rep in March narrowed this in as being Bird Key which is across a channel (about 1/2 hour by motor boat) from the port. It uses 2 person kayaks on a guided tour through the mangrove swamp.

This is similar to what DisneyDarwin described in his report. But I don't remember who he used. Good luck and have fun.

BTW - does umich mean you're associated with the university of michigan or just a fan? :)

Deb

We were on the 5/10 Magic sailing and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw DisneyDarwin working on the Magic as an Assistant Server!! We saw him in Januray when he was a guest on the ship for 2 weeks. We chatted with him and he said he didn't have much time for the internet these days which is understandable. We saw him in Topsiders one morning and then again at Topsiders for lunch. If you see a tall young man named Darwin from England it's DisneyDarwin!!

FantasiticDisFamily, Thanks for the information. We were hoping to do this excusion on our own, the Disney one is about $20 per person more. You don't remember the name of the rental company? I really don't want to kayak on a canal through the downtown! Do you know anything about Adventure Charters & Tours? The trips depart from Safe Harbor Marina on Stock Island. Does this mean anything to you? We were in Key West a couple of years ago, but just wandered around the town and watched the sunset. My husband, son and daughter all graduated from UofM, and my daughter is now working for the business school. So we are fans and have ties there too!

FantasticDisFamily Thanks for the information. Was the tour you went on with Island Kayak? In the Passporter, they are listed for the Key West Kayak Back to Nature Tour. How far was it to get to where you started kayaking? Their rates are only $35 per person for 3 hours as opposed to the Disney excurison $59. With 6 of us going, that's a big difference in price. Yes, we are both fans of U of M and tied to them. My husband, son and daughter all graduated from there, and my daughter works for the business school. Where in Michigan are you from?

Hey there - this is Shirley - Kayaking in Key West can be very very deceiving - as all knows, Norm and I were born and raised there and know all the ends and outs - when I heard there was "kayaking" in Key West, I just could NOT imagine where people were being taken - then I discovered it was through man made areas that were behind homes - and if you expected to see "back to Nature" stuff - just forget it - as Deb said, it takes quite a bit of checking it out - those that I contacted were very evastived as to where folks were taken especially when they learned we were from there - as I still proclaim about the tee shirt shops being rip offs - you do have to watch the excursions down there.
If I can help, just email me for I do have packages of Key West that are free except for a SASE - it gives you and idea what Key West is all about.
Have a great time.
Always
Shirley

Hi umich,

We're on the west side of the state - Muskegon area.

Anyway, we have not sailed yet so all of my information is based on research - and I HOPE it is accurate. :confused:

I checked in to Island Kayaking because of the listing in the Passporter. Do NOT book with them unless you want to see the back of those homes Shirley mentioned. I'm really surprised they are in the Passporter to tell you the truth.

We ended up booking with the DCL Back to Nature excursion. NONE of the independent providers I checked with (but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there) went "off island" as it were. But the DCL CM confirmed that the provider they use does - they take you in a motor launch about 1/2 hour away to one of the sanctuary islands. Based on the information she had, combined with some general research on the area, and talking with Norm - then looking at a detailed map of the keys area it appears the tour goes to Bird Key.

Technically the entire keys area is a bird sanctuary. So even if you're kayaking through town the tour operator can claim you're in a wildlife sanctuary! :mad:

This is one of those excursion areas that there isn't a lot of information on so when we get back I'll post on our experience.

Deb

I'm so glad I got your information, I would not have liked kayak and looking at the back of people's houses with maybe a bird flying overhead! Not quite sure what we are doing now.....wish your trip was sooner so I could hear your reports. Ours was so long in coming, I can't believe we are 37 days away now! After this winter and this cold, wet spring, we need it. Thanks for your help.

I hear what you're saying. It is cold and miserable over here. DH was headed out for work around noon and checked one of the webcams with a temp guage...it said 49 degrees!

And they call this the start of summer?

Good luck on what you decide.

Deb

Hey U Mich Cruiser, it's me your long lost sister. Finally got Michael to sleep and the rain stopped, 40 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter