Question for Cheer and Dance Moms

Dsnygrl1205

DIS Veteran
So It looks like my step daughter's cheer team may be attending nationals at the Wide World of Sports this year. They have placed first in their competitions so far so DH and I are putting money away already just in case.

I can't find too much information on package prices for this kind of trip. Hopefully there are a few cheer moms out there to answer some questions I have.

1. What is the average cost for a trip like this?

2. Are there often parents that attend but are not chaperoning? DH and I want to attend the competition but don't necessarily want to be chaperons for the week.

Any information would be appreciated :goodvibes

So It looks like my step daughter's cheer team may be attending nationals at the Wide World of Sports this year. They have placed first in their competitions so far so DH and I are putting money away already just in case.

I can't find too much information on package prices for this kind of trip. Hopefully there are a few cheer moms out there to answer some questions I have.

2. Are there often parents that attend but are not chaperoning? DH and I want to attend the competition but don't necessarily want to be chaperons for the week.

https://www.espnwwos.com/events/football/pop-warner-super-bowl/
Click on "Planning."

I was there in 2006 but I remember when dd's team knew they were going to WDW to compete, we booked our flights that night! Other people drove so that wasn't a panic moment for them. We also went down a couple of days early and added the days to our package. I wasn't a chaperone; from what I remember, the coaches pretty much took care of that aspect.
WDW also assigns a rep to help your team out with reservations, info, etc.
The price on the link above shows $461 for a 4 person room occupancy.
HTH!

I have been doing more research in the last couple of hours and it looks like what they'll do is put 3 girls and one adult in each room to meet the quad occupancy rate.

So DH and I can get our own room and we'll be spectators.

One last question though. Would it be frowned upon for DH and I to stay at a different resort? I'm not loving the idea of staying at the All Stars with all the cheerleaders ;)

SD will be with her friends more than with us anyway...

I have been doing more research in the last couple of hours and it looks like what they'll do is put 3 girls and one adult in each room to meet the quad occupancy rate.

One last question though. Would it be frowned upon for DH and I to stay at a different resort? I'm not loving the idea of staying at the All Stars with all the cheerleaders ;)

My dd and I stayed with another mom and cheerleader.
I'm sure there was families who brought other kids and stayed in other resorts. I'm thinking as long as there's 4 people (and you could find a mom who wouldn't mind having your dsd in her room) it should work out fine. Also, there were cheerleaders who's parents/families could not attend...they had to stay with someone, right? :) I don't know if you'd be eligible for the spectator's package if you stayed at a different resort, but maybe that's not an issue for you.
(I found the link which happened to be Pop Warner; not sure if that's her organization though...)

Sorry, but you must stay at the same hotel as your cheer team. It isn't fair that you not suffer like the non Dis folks who don't know better than to stay at the same place as all the cheerers. :rolleyes1

Is this high school or all star? And which Nationals? In cheer, Nationals are a dime a dozen :goodvibes

Or, are you thinking you will be getting a bid to the Summit or Worlds? Summit and Worlds, the costs are much different if you earn a full paid or partial paid bid.
Costs can vary greatly depending on the hotel you stay in, the competition fees and transportation.

To get an general idea of costs, you can go to the EP's (Event Producer's) website and look up how much the competition costs and what kind of room packages they have.

For instance, if you are going to the UCA High School Nationals, you would go to the Universal Cheerleading Association website. Scroll down and click on Pricing Information.

Now, that also depends if you are free to book your own lodging. In our gym, we are all required to stay in the same hotel and we must book our rooms through the gym. Our gym prices may be a bit higher if they are renting a spring floor (they often reserve a ballroom and put a spring floor in for practice), renting our own buses for transportation, etc. But you can reduce the costs a bit if you share a room with another parent.

Unless you pay an all inclusive monthly fee, you will need to factor in the competition cost (entrance fee,) into your budget.

Then there is transportation. Are you driving or flying to WDW? Factor in food and park tickets if they are not included in your package.

As for chaperons, that again depends on what is required at your school/gym. Our gym requires an adult in every single room. So the you basically have to go down with your own child unless you can find another parent to take them if their room is not full. With 4 to a room, a parent could only be responsible for 2 other children. Even the older kids have to have a parent in the room. There is no group travel chaperoned by just a few parents in our gym.

We love having all our parents there to make lots of noise while our teams are on the floor!

Again, it would depend on what competition you are going to and what your particular rules are.

We are required to stay with our children at most competitions. But those are rules that are from our gym, not from the Event Producer.

However, Summit and Worlds, where they may get paid bids, which pay for the cheerleaders to stay at the "cheer" hotels designated by the competition, it is not unusual for parents to stay away from the mayhem :goodvibes

Here is a little more background on the situation. My Step Daughters Mother can't attend this competition so My DH and are going instead. I'm assuming that the girls won't want to share a room with a man and since she's not my BD I'm not planning on volunteering to chaperon. (SD lives full time with Mom).

Here is what I know. SD12 is either Junior Midget or Midget Pop Warner. I don't believe there are gym fees because they practice at the local middle school. Her squad has about 15 girls.

I'm assuming that her mother will be making most of the arrangements for who she's staying with. We're just the ones who get to pay for it :laughing: Her squad has 4 coaches and I'm sure a lot of the actual cheer moms will be attending.

So really DH and I are just here to pay and to show our support at the competition I guess.

Here is a little more background on the situation. My Step Daughters Mother can't attend this competition so My DH and are going instead. I'm assuming that the girls won't want to share a room with a man and since she's not my BD I'm not planning on volunteering to chaperon. (SD lives full time with Mom).

Here is what I know. SD12 is either Junior Midget or Midget Pop Warner. I don't believe there are gym fees because they practice at the local middle school. Her squad has about 15 girls.

I'm assuming that her mother will be making most of the arrangements for who she's staying with. We're just the ones who get to pay for it :laughing: Her squad has 4 coaches and I'm sure a lot of the actual cheer moms will be attending.

So really DH and I are just here to pay and to show our support at the competition I guess.
Before you make any kind of plans, make sure you know the rules of your team. Every team has different rules regarding travel. Some allow a chaperon type situation while other teams, like ours, require each parent to be in the room with their cheerleader.

I was looking at the Pop Warner packages that are required. Since you are asking about budgeting, remember, those prices are usually per person and not per room. Don't see any clarification, but every cheer package we have ever looked at (been doing this for 10 years), the prices were per person.

So, if you had a quad room, for the 3 day package without dining, all 4 people in the room would be paying $461 dollars each.

Not sure if this includes the cheerleader's entry fee into the competition. But good news, your Milkhouse spectator fees are cheap for Pop Warner. Last time we did a competition at WOS, if I recall correctly, the entry fee was $25 per person, per day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter