Question for anyone with diabetes

Wish_I_Was_At_WDW

Mouseketeer
Can diabetics eat sweets if they are made with Splenda instead of sugar?

I am trying to decide what to make for a friend and I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thank you!

Can diabetics eat sweets if they are made with Splenda instead of sugar?

I am trying to decide what to make for a friend and I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thank you!

Diabetics can eat anything it is not the sweets they need to count it is the carbs. Sweets contain a lot of carbs.

As previous poster said, diabetics can eat sugar. They just must count it in their carb total. Some may not want to because it doesnt fit into their diet plan. For instance, I could have one can of Mountain Dew or 3 apples or a TON of salad. Who wants to eat 3 apples? You are getting much more for your carb buck with one apple not too mention more satsifaction (Maybe! sometimes you just HAVE to have that Dew!)

But, to answer your question about Splenda. Diabetics can eat anything with an artificial sweetner. They (and everyone) must be careful about things sweetened with sugar alcohols.

I agree with the previous posters. It's about controlling carbohydrates. I think it's very thoughtful of you to consider this for your friend. I would use the splenda to make the sweets and be sure to tell her of the ingredients and she'll probably know how much she can eat. :)

My MIL is diabetic and I make her many desserts that are sugar-free. Splenda has lots of recipes to choose from! Although diabetics can eat sugar/carbs in moderation I know MANY that will not eat desserts that contain sugar.

I make a no added sugar banana cream pie that is really delicious using sugar-free jello pudding and dream whip. You can also use sugar-free cool whip.

But, to answer your question about Splenda. Diabetics can eat anything with an artificial sweetner. They (and everyone) must be careful about things sweetened with sugar alcohols.

You are correct.

I just wanted to add that even though Splenda is made from sugar it will not raise blood sugar levels because Splenda is not digested in the body.

I would like to recommend Dream Feilds pasta products.
Most Pastas are about 41-43 carbs a serving. Even though Dream Fields also has 41 carbs a seving only 5 of those carbs are digestible. So Dream Fields pasta usually does not spike the blood sugar of diabetics the way most pastas will.

I second the Dreamfield pasta recommendation.

I would check about the artificial sweetners as everyone has preferences.

I cannot eat Splenda - horrible chemical aftertaste. I would rather go without or eat a smaller portion of something made with sugar than anything made with Splenda.

As a diabetic who controls the disease solely through diet (having at one time been on four medications for the illness) I can tell you that Splenda, is a better choice for controlling blood glucose than sugar.

However, sugar is not the worst culprit. White bread, white pasta, those sorts of things are worse than a teaspoon of sugar. Granted, many desserts require more than a teaspoon of sugar.

Remember that splenda/sucralose is sweeter tasting than sugar, so use less. It does not caramelize so you can't use it for that type of dessert.

As a diabetic my chosen dessert, when I want to use calories and carbs in that manner, is usually a small selection of cheese.

It's kind of you to want to make a special dessert for your friend who is diabetic. All too often folks with diabetes are not included in those sorts of things. It's really nice when someone cares enough to make the effort.

There are loads of recipes on the internet for nice desserts for diabetics. Remember that any recipe you have may be able to be adapted. Whole wheat flour (often if you use whole wheat pastry flour you'll end up with a finer texture) can replace all or most of white flour in cookies and other preparations. And as we've already said, sucralose can replace sugar.

I'd try to stay away from aspartame and saccharine, but that's just me.

Hope that helps a bit!

for many years we have made jello cook and serve sugar free chocolate pudding mix into a chocolate pie......My mother in law was a diabetic and she would count her carbs before she ate her main meal to make sure she could have dessert at our house.....My husband uses my great great grandmothers stoneware pie plate which uses six boxes of the chocolate pie mix and 11 cups of milk.......the family would have this pie at the holidays and no one knew that it was a sugar free pie.....
I am a diet and exercise control diabetic....if I am on a good day I will have that piece of pie or cake and enjoy it while it goes down......
You are nice to think of another persons diet ......

I was so glad when I found out carbs are the killer, not the sugar, although sugar should still be watched. However, I won't use Splenda. Personal preference. I'm sure there are occasions though when I don't read the ingredients on all packages and have some slip in.

I was thrilled when my blood sugar was 71 this morning...after having had two REAL Pecan Sandies cookies last night! :banana: :banana: :banana:

As far as diabetics are concerned, the worse mistake I see hosts and hostesses make (even at church socials) is to only provide non-diet drinks. A non-diet drink contains 35 or more grams of sugar per serving.

As far as diabetics are concerned, the worse mistake I see hosts and hostesses make (even at church socials) is to only provide non-diet drinks. A non-diet drink contains 35 or more grams of sugar per serving.

Or the only diet drinks available are loaded with caffeine, i.e. Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi. The caffeine free drinks are all loaded with sugar: Sprite and juices. No Diet Sprite, etc., available. So the only "choice" of a drink becomes water.

I'll have to look into Dreamfield pasta. I've been eating Barilla PLUS pasta as it has a very high protein & fiber count with a much lower carb count.

Another diabetic checking in...

I control mine with diet and medication (long story on the medication recently). Like the others, it's not the sugar as much as many other things. I can have a regular candy bar and it won't spike my blood glucose anywhere near what starches will. Not that sugar is not harmful, but, again, it's moderation that's the rule for everything. Exercise is a factor as well and will help burn off extra carbs. I love french fries, but they are one of the worst for me. I'd be better off having a candy bar with my burger, although the bun isn't so good, either. I can get away with eating the bad stuff, but not as often as I might like. Hmmm... maybe I should just stick with candy bars... nah... :upsidedow

Thank you for considering your friend's health. I think if you offer food choices that are lower in carbs during the meal it allows your friend to make her own decision is great. My friends have learned that I love diet pepsi, veggies & salad, and will make sure that is on hand when they have dinner for a group. So then I can choose to fill my plate with salad, a small portion of spagetti and sauce and maybe have some dessert... a taste.. or maybe later have a cocktail...
so by offering a sugar free dessert, sugar free drinks, lower carb entrees, you are making life choices easier!

Splenda has lots of recipes.. gotta love it!

I NEVER drink 'diet' anything because I choose to stay away from all chemically altered sweetners. I drink water or I sweeten my tea sometimes with stevia which I carry. "Diet" drinks are not good for anyone.

I am a diabetic and I would ask your friend. Diabetics can eat anything by counting carbs but some do not do this and still go by the old exchange system. Some can use Splenda or any sweetener and some cannot. For example I can use Splenda but cannot use equal or any of the sugar alcohols. Your best thing is to check with your friend about what he can and cannot have.

As for diet drinks, since I cannot have anything with equal (aspartame) I take my own drink with me to parties, church suppers, Disney World, DCL, etc. Only once have I been questioned about it and after I explained the problem I was allowed to being my cans of soda in with me. Simply put, I inform them that for medical reasons I need to bring my own unless they can provide unsweetened iced tea. Can't even drink coffee anymore because I can't have dairy and most places do not carry soy milk.

I second asking your friend. Everybody controls their diabetes differently. Most desserts will be high in carbs regardless of what kind of sweetener is used due to the other ingredients. Additionally, some people eat little to no carbs while others take a more balanced approach. If she is on insulin, she can take what's called a bolus to cover whatever carbs there are and may have fewer restrictions than somebody not insulin. It is a myth that people with diabetes cannot have sugar.

It's wonderful that you are taking her into consideration. I'm sure if you asked her she would be happy to tell you what she can or cannot have.

You are correct.

I would like to recommend Dream Feilds pasta products.
Most Pastas are about 41-43 carbs a serving. Even though Dream Fields also has 41 carbs a seving only 5 of those carbs are digestible. So Dream Fields pasta usually does not spike the blood sugar of diabetics the way most pastas will.

Thanks for sharing this. I am a type 1 Diabetic....28 years!!!! I have never heard of Dream Fields?? I will have to look for it on my next trip to the store.:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter