• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question for all the dog lovers out there

My mom only gets Beagles, and she would never think of getting another breed.

My first dog, as an adult, was a German Shepherd. After he died unexpectedly at age 5 from Lymphoma, I swore I would never get another German Shepherd. He was the PERFECT dog, and I knew that any other German Shepherd would never compare, and I knew that would never be fair to the new dog.

After Sampson died, we got a black lab. We raised him for one year, and then he went to be trained to be a bomb & arson dog - he now has a career with a handler. My experiences with a Lab were not the best - he was much to crazy, active for me, so I will never get another one (no offense to the Lab lovers out there).

My new puppy is a Yorkshire Terrior, and she is just wonderful - such a joy!!! I can honestly say that I would get another dog from this breed when something happens to my little Sophie (lets hope that's not for a long long while). But who knows what the future brings, but for now, I"m all about the Yorkies!!!:goodvibes :dog:

If I ever "repeat" a breed, I'll get another cocker.

I'm on my 4th cocker spaniel. The last 3 were rescues. The first one was a gift from a backyard breeder (28 years ago). I've never bought a dog, but I have paid fees to the rescue groups.

Quick question for those in the know. What is the difference between German Shepherds and Malinois? They look almost identical.

Malinois can really vary in color. Some are a fawn color (like the dog I had) and some are a deep black or a mixture of the two (which are the ones that look like German shepherds.) I looked this up online:

German Shepherd vs. Belgian Malinois

What are the differences between a German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois?

This is a common question - generally speaking the Belgian Malinois is smaller, faster, more agile and higher in prey than a German Shepherd.

I am often asked if the Belgian Malinois is as effective as the German Shepherd for protection work due to being smaller. The force a dog hits with is a mix of speed and weight - although slightly smaller in most cases the Belgian Malinois hits harder than a German Shepherd due to the speed factor.

The Belgian Malinois also bonds more strongly with their owner much preferring to live as part of the family with their owner rather than in a kennel.

Here's the website I got that from: http://www.malinois.net.au/Buyer Beware.htm

They are often used as K9's and that's actually how I ended up with one. Ours was just a peach and we got her as a puppy when dd was 2 and they were always best pals. DD was devastated when she passed away. I did laugh when we got our golden retriever puppy when dd was 15 and they asked if I thought she could be forceful enough to train the puppy and not be fearful of her. That kid has been bossing big dogs around since she learned to talk. :rotfl:

Quick question for those in the know. What is the difference between German Shepherds and Malinois? They look almost identical.
I don't know a great deal about the Malanois, but I know one when I see one. Police officers are often surprised if you know what one is.

What I do know is that they're similar - both are highly intelligent herding breeds that make excellent working dogs. My understanding is that the reason the Malanois is sometimes chosen for police work over the GSD is that they don't have the health problems the GSD has seen, at least here in this country. European GSDs are thought to have better bloodlines, ie more careful breeding, so police dogs often come from there, or at least from good European bloodlines here.

Any time a breed becomes popular, unfortunately, poor breeding is not far behind - by those in it for the money and not necessarily the betterment of the breed. Because the Malanois is far less popular than the GSD, their breeding is probably more controlled and selective which helps avoid or eliminate health problems. Let's hope they don't become too popular. :worried:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

Thank you so much my fellow doggy DISers for the info. I also want to add that with all the political threads, this one is such a breath of fresh air!!!!!

I love this thread! We're dog suckers. Period. Over the last 30 years we've had lots of dogs, most of them rescued - including five that turned up on our porch and never left. Some had been abused and others were simply homeless. We've had beagles, goldens, dalmations, bichons, lhasas, poodles, border collies, spaniels and lots of Heinz 57's. We found other homes for some but kept many of them. And we loved them all and mourned when they were gone. There wan't a "bad breed" among them. We're currently down to two - a bishon-lhasa mix and a 15 yo silver-gray toy poodle. They're our babies. We'll probably always have dogs. They really are God's gifts.

DisFlan

Ours is a blimpy clown-dog. He does the goofiest things & when he gets all "riled up" he will do a "pugtona" where he runs with his short legs, eyes wide & curly tail flying straight back. (Looks like a chubby sausage scooting across the floor)

When you talk to him, he tilts his head back & forth like he is listening intently to everything you say. He lives for food. He can tell if we are shopping for food, talking about food, cooking food..... and the worst is eating food. He will whine like he is being tortured when food is on the table.

Besides eating, his favorite thing is laying arround watching movies with us.

He doesn't like taking long walks...when he's had enough, he will sit his fat butt down & won't walk anymore. Stubborn little chunk he is!!!

When I was a kid we had a husky,then a doberman. My DH and I own 2 shepherds they are the best dogs. I just wish I could cut back on their fur.

We had a Boykin Spaniel who was the best dog evah! So soft and smart and sweet.

Growing up we had a Great Dane, think dumb and very sweet. A weiner dog, smart and spunky. A beagle, liked to dig and roam.

We had a Keishound (sp?) her name was Buddah Belly. She was the sweetest smelling dog ever with a funny disposition! Her paw pads smelled like a mix of dirt, grass, and love. :teeth:

Tar was DH's favorite dog. He was a black lab. DH would take him to Kansas every year to hunt; they were like best friends. Tar delevloped cancer and died within weeks of being dx. DH hasn't fully grieved the loss. :sad:

We've had a few mutts, all loveable wonderful mutts.

We have a mini Schnauzer right now. Not the brightest bulb but oh so sweet and wonderful. Riley loves to play and bark when prompted. :teacher:

We are big dog people.

This is OT, but are you guys looking forward to the movie "Marley and Me" coming out in December? I am taking a whole box of Kleenex with me to see that one. I told my DH he had to read the book when I finished it, but I marked the part where it started to get sad..He is so tenderhearted, and Marley was so much like our Opie-yellow lab, that I didn't think my DH could handle it when the book took a bad turn.

What a great book, the movie should be wonderful, too! Stars Jennifer Anniston and Owen Wilson.:thumbsup2

I don't think I can see it - although previews looked very cute. I blubbered all thru the book. I can't even believe I read it. My lab who died was a yellow lab too - although not a troublemaker at all like Marley :)

You know, I think one reason that I've never had the same breed of dog twice is that I don't think I could bear to have another dog that looked just like one I'd loved who passed away. I think I'd always be comparing the new dog to the old dog, KWIM? Does that come up at all for any of you who stick mostly with one breed?

I adopted my first greyhound, (he was 4 and a half when we adopted him)...white with red patches 10 years ago.. When he was 8 he decided :goodvibes that a senior white with brindle patch male grey (12 years old) that had been abandoned by his family would be his "brother" and for two years they happily shared beds and toys. Then came the day when my first grey passed..and I swore I'd never go thru that pain again.
But I missed coming into the house and not having happy feet running to me..or a cold nose poking at my face in the morning..or a helicopter tail spinning wildly just because I walked into the room. And..well..I missed the people I'd come to know with the rescue group...so I just went to visit..you know..just to say "hello" and got greyhound "hugs" ...they knew..they knew their friend was gone..and I needed those wagging tails and wet noses. But I also knew... there had to be a difference.. no white... I didn't want to see a flash of white dog with patches..it was just too soon..and I thought.."well..maybe a girl this time." A couple of weeks later I met her.. a female..black with a bit of a white chest..white toes...shorter than either of the boys had been..(female greys are generally smaller than males).. different in personality, too.. more...girly...yet..got a heck of scary bark..but loves to cuddle up on the couch with mom.
Do I compare her with the "boys"? At first I did..a little bit..and I shouldn't have.. but she was only off the track maybe 10 days and WHINY! at first... the boys never whined! 'Course..the "boys" had to mark every tree we passed in tandem making walks very short..whereas she's too much of "lady" to do anything so personal in public!
And...sometimes the comparing isn't a bad thing... it's just taking the knowledge of what I learned about behavior or training or whatever and putting into practice.

Trying to remember all the dogs that have owned me - that's a test of my memory!

When I lived at home we had beagles for my dad to hunt with (Queenie and Freckles), a beagle that I rescued from an abusive home (Heidi) and german shepard mixes (Duke and Sarge). I really miss them all still. :sad1:

Since I've been on my own -
Sunshine - a spitz / shepard / lab mix
Miranda - a whippet
Lady Bell - a blue tick hound
Italy - a rescued greyhound

Little Italy and Little Miranda - some greyhound puppies we fostered, my DS named them.

The puppies found homes, I lost my other dogs and then I just couldn't bring myself to get another greyhound. I still miss my girls too. :sad1:

We decided to go with labs then and have -

Shadow - black lab
Simba - yellow lab
Jack - black lab, Shadow and Simba's son
Shy Boy - chocolate lab, Shadow and Simba's son and by 6 months, Jack's younger brother

Just this past June my DH ex sister-in-law called. They were losing their house and couldn't keep their greyhound but wanted her to go to someone who they trusted to care for her and we were the first people they thought of. How could I say no?

So we have Kayla too. She's a fawn greyhound.

And it's not that I don't like our labs, I love them and they're all funny in their own way but I've really bonded with Kayla. I guess I have a soft spot for greyhounds. :lovestruc

And yes, they all stay in the house. It seems like a lot, 5 dogs and big ones at that but they're all really good dogs and have settled in with each other.

Now the dog hair, it never ends. And the price of dog food? :eek:

We like German Shepherds and Chihuahuas. NOT MIXED!!! :scared1: Wouldn't that be a vicious beast. :lmao:

We also have an Akita and while I love Chuck, I am not likely to choose that breed again. Nothing wrong with him, just as I mentioned we seem to have an affinity for GSDs and Chihuahuas.

As a child I had a Beagle that my parents got from a friend of theirs and a Terrier mix that we got from our local no-kill shelter.

As an adult we have had a Border Collie/Terrier mix that we got from a no-kill shelter. He was a fabulous dog. Looked like a Border Collie, with the instincts of a Terrier. Sweet as pie. It broke our hearts when we lost him at age 8.

We then adopted a Golden Retriever puppy from a "Kennel" on eastern Long Island. Well, they say they are a kennel and they also say they breed their own. Stupid me fell for it. Turns out they get their puppies from the same places that pet stores do. Yep, our poor Caleb was a puppy mill puppy -- inbred and not properly socialized. As it turned out he had severe aggression problems that increased as he got older and bigger. He attacked several people, including DH and me. We tried to place him in a no-kill shelter and with the rescue people but, for obvious reasons, they could not take him and we were left with no choice but to put him down. Absolutely the most gut-wrenching thing I ever had to do. I was torn up with sorrow and guilt for months.

Today we are going to meet and hopefully adopt our third dog -- a rescue older Golden. She is 7 years old and said to be calm, gentle and very affectionate. I'm a little nervous, but trusting in the rescue people to have made a good match.

I grew up with dogs despite the fact that my mother didn't like animals. My grandfather was the local dog catcher and he adopted many of the nicer ones he caught. He always had 2 for inside and the rest outside and 1 of them would always be mine (I spent every day at my grandparents'). My grandmother always loved little poodles and the last one she ever owned was the meanest little turd you'd ever want to see -- Susie. My grandma was this tiny little thing, just the sweetest woman in the world, but she'd sit with Susie in her lap and Susie would snap and growl at anyone who so much as looked at her. :lmao: My dog was Junior -- a big black lab. I was so broken-hearted when he died that my my mother finally caved in and took us to the shelter for a dog to have at home.

Rusty was a mixed breed. He wasn't very well behaved that I recall, but I loved him. He got hit by a car when he was 7.

My next dog I got in college and imposed on my parents -- Daiquiri. He was the best dog ever and I "rescued" him(so I justified to myself at the time) from a small pet shop. He was an interesting mix and ended up looking like a fox. He was a reddish brown with big pointy ears, a pointy snout, and a large bushy tail. I adored that dog. He always slept between my feet, but the night I went into labor with my 1st child, he came up and curled around my mid-section, which he'd never done before. How did he know before I did that I was in labor? He died in 2000 from old age and I was just heartbroken.

Haiku is a mixed-breed black lab. She's not my favorite dog. She's a monster who is slightly aggressive, barks, chews, & just wreaks havoc wherever she is. But we committed to her and we've done our best by her (including taking her to a behaviorist & training). She's only 8 1/2, but I don't think she's got that long of a life left ahead of her. Her face has turrned white and she can barely walk. It's so sad to see her limping around, but she can still move once she gets a big dose of adrenaline (someone knocks at the door or we have a visitor).

Our latest is Zoe, who was a stray. We call her Daiquiri Jr because she looks so much like him except her ears are flat (you can see her in my avatar). She's probably my favorite of all the dogs. So sweet and obedient, except when Haiku is encouraging her to do wrong. One thing, though, she really brought new life into Haiku. What cracks us up about her is how vocal she is. She whines and whimpers and moans and groans and yips and yaps and humphs. :laughing: She always has something to "say" about everything. I don't mean that she barks at everything, but she just can't seem to help herself to make some sort of vocalization. Cute!

I think two at a time is our limit. I would love another one, but Haiku is too much of a handful. My son has been volunteering at the shelter and keeps calling me every time he finds another dog he likes and I feel so mean telling him no! DH would kill us. :teeth:

Sorry for rambling! I've really been enjoying these dog stories.

As a child I had a Beagle that my parents got from a friend of theirs and a Terrier mix that we got from our local no-kill shelter.

As an adult we have had a Border Collie/Terrier mix that we got from a no-kill shelter. He was a fabulous dog. Looked like a Border Collie, with the instincts of a Terrier. Sweet as pie. It broke our hearts when we lost him at age 8.

We then adopted a Golden Retriever puppy from a "Kennel" on eastern Long Island. Well, they say they are a kennel and they also say they breed their own. Stupid me fell for it. Turns out they get their puppies from the same places that pet stores do. Yep, our poor Caleb was a puppy mill puppy -- inbred and not properly socialized. As it turned out he had severe aggression problems that increased as he got older and bigger. He attacked several people, including DH and me. We tried to place him in a no-kill shelter and with the rescue people but, for obvious reasons, they could not take him and we were left with no choice but to put him down. Absolutely the most gut-wrenching thing I ever had to do. I was torn up with sorrow and guilt for months.

Today we are going to meet and hopefully adopt our third dog -- a rescue older Golden. She is 7 years old and said to be calm, gentle and very affectionate. I'm a little nervous, but trusting in the rescue people to have made a good match.

I'm so sorry about your puppy but congratulations on your new golden. Please post a picture when you get a chance--I'd love to see her. We lucked out with our golden, Sunny. She's just very sweet and we love her to pieces and so do all the neighbors. She's very popular and my next door neighbor's grandkids often come to my front door to ask if Sunny can come out to play. :rotfl:

I think two at a time is our limit. I would love another one, but Haiku is too much of a handful. My son has been volunteering at the shelter and keeps calling me every time he finds another dog he likes and I feel so mean telling him no! DH would kill us. :teeth:

I'm not allowed to look at the pets listed in the paper by the shelter and the Humane Society. :lmao: I'm only allowed one at the present time and DH just rolls his eyes whenever I start talking about another one. He loves dogs and he and Sunny are great pals but I think he's ready to be done with dogs.

Sorry for rambling! I've really been enjoying these dog stories.

No need to apologize! I love hearing them, too. Thank you, everyone, for all the great stories. :thumbsup2

Currently we are blessed to have Lucy, our 7 lb. chihuahua/toy fox terrier home security system. She is a very loving and loyal dog that is full of life and extremely funny. Lucy literally prances when she walks and attracts attention from everyone. We love her to pieces. :love:

I'm laughing a little at your "home security system".

We adopted an 8 year old white shepard/yellow lab mix from the humane society 2 years ago, and have an excellent "watch" dog. You (or any stranger) can come in our house, and our dog will watch you. Won't bark, you could probably pack up the whole house, and our dog will be watching you, wagging his tail, hoping for a treat, or a pat on the head!

We have a Scottish Terrier, which I NEVER would have chosen. I didn't think they were soft enough as their skirt hair is bristly. But, now, I absolutely love her and couldn't imagine having a different kind of dog. I love that she isn't too big or too small, she doesn't follow me around the house all day, she doesn't lick faces. She was SUPER stubborn to train, and my DH had lots of little nips on his hands but it was totally worth it. She obeys all commands and just has the best most loving temperment of any dog I have ever seen. I just love her to death and someday when she passes, I could definitely see us going with a Scotty again!

I grew up with a Scotty and my mom had a Scotty before I was born. She was so sweet and loyal to our family, not as stubborn as yours was though.:goodvibes Trained very easily. I love Scottish Terriers!:love:

That said, I have a Jack Russell Terrier and that is the breed I will be sticking with. Their craziness and energy level suits me!:laughing: I love that JRTs don't realize that they are small dogs and you're not supposed to be able to clear a 4 ft fence with air to spare when you only stand 14" at the shoulder.:goofy:

Last night at a family party I spent much of the evening with two Jack Russell Terriers and an English Bulldog in my lap. :thumbsup2

MushyMushy said:
I grew up with dogs despite the fact that my mother didn't like animals.
My mother isn't a huge fan of animals, either. Fortunately, my father was. :teeth:

justjudy said:
I bet they've taken extra care to match you up with a great dog. Good luck today, and hope to see pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter