Question Concerning Split Stay, Waitlists, Linked Ressies, and DDP

WDW_Fanatic

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this has been answered previously or is in the wrong thread, but I have a question concerning DDP with Split Stays and waitlists, and am now utterly confused about how it is handled since the September reversal on DDP segmenting...

Anywho, here's my situation. We have reservations, but, due to availability, are split between two resorts and have two ressies with two different reservation numbers.

We have waitlisted the second portion of the trip at our first resort in hopes of not having to move. It hasn't come through...yet **fingers still crossed!** I've never waitlisted before, but was told that if it came through, the reservations would be linked and we wouldn't have to change rooms.

We decided today that it works very well for us to do the DxDDP for the first portion of our trip, and the regular DDP for the second portion. We haven't added them yet to the ressies, but I plan to soon.

That made me to start to think about the new rules, and I came up with some questions (mostly hypothetical, as I doubt anything will change suddenly, but I like to understand all the rules and am now confused with the changes over the last year...):

1. I assume, as our ressies currently stand, we will have no issues doing the two dining plans for the different portions of the trip since they are at different resorts and under different reservation numbers. Correct?

2. If our waitlist comes through before I get a chance to call them to add the DDP, and the reservations become linked, will we still be able to do this with the rules put in place when they reversed the segmenting reservations policies? Also, if I add the two different DDPs, and then the waitilist comes through, what will happen then?

We don't mind having to check in/check out and change rooms, even if the waitlist comes through and we can stay at one resort. I just hope, with the new rules, I'll be allowed to add the two different DDPs, and now am wondering what will happen if my waitilist happens to come through before I get a chance to call them in the next couple of days (unlikely, but it does raise an interesting hypothetical situation...)

Thanks, all, and I hope everyone is having a magical weekend so far! :goodvibes

The more things going on with your reservations the greater the chance of a mistake or problem. If the DDP is important to you I would cancel the WL and move to the other resort.

:earsboy: Bill

My understanding is that you can not wait list once there is a DDP attached to a reservation.

My son is going this week and has 2 nights at AKV and 3 nights at OKW. We waitlisted one night at AKV so that he could do 3 there instead of at OKW.

When I called to get info about the DDP (he wanted it only for AKV), they told me that once I paid for the plan, they would cancel the wait list. I ended up waiting to add the DDP right at day 7 prior to the trip, once we knew the wait list would not fill.

However, there was no problem getting the DDP for just AKV.

In terms of getting two different plans, you will only be able to do that if you switch resorts, or you switch room types if you are at the same resort.

You can not have two different plans for a reservation that is for the same type of room at the same resort.

My understanding is that you can not wait list once there is a DDP attached to a reservation.

Now I'm confused ... We added our DP a while ago (for length of stay) and were not told that our WL would be cancelled. Since then I've had to call MS for other reasons and so have had them check the status of our WL. They've always said it's still active. (FWIW, our WL is for a length of stay change to a dedicated 2BR instead of our current L/O.).

Is canceling a WL once DP is added a new thing?

OP, sorry for veering this thread away from your original question.

Now I'm confused ... We added our DP a while ago (for length of stay) and were not told that our WL would be cancelled. Since then I've had to call MS for other reasons and so have had them check the status of our WL. They've always said it's still active. (FWIW, our WL is for a length of stay change to a dedicated 2BR instead of our current L/O.).

Is canceling a WL once DP is added a new thing?

OP, sorry for veering this thread away from your original question.

If you have called and were told that you still had an active WL, then it means I was given the wrong information by MS--not a huge surprise.

In my case, I simply waited until the 7 day mark to add it because I knew by then it wasn't happening, but this is good to know for the future.

Regarding the waitlists and DDP, you can keep your waitlist active if you are waitlisting the same length of stay that you already have. If you are waitlisting a missing night, the reason you can't have DDP is because MS would need the payment for the extra nights DDP if the waitlist matched, and since it is an automatic confirmation, no one would be contacting you to get payment for the DDP.

For the OP, if you like the idea of doing two different DDPs, you should go off the waitlist, as you cannot have 2 DDPs if your resort/room type/party size is the same. Just make sure to remember your DDP will stop and start with each reservation, so plan your dining ressies accordingly :)

Regarding the waitlists and DDP, you can keep your waitlist active if you are waitlisting the same length of stay that you already have. If you are waitlisting a missing night, the reason you can't have DDP is because MS would need the payment for the extra nights DDP if the waitlist matched, and since it is an automatic confirmation, no one would be contacting you to get payment for the DDP.

For the OP, if you like the idea of doing two different DDPs, you should go off the waitlist, as you cannot have 2 DDPs if your resort/room type/party size is the same. Just make sure to remember your DDP will stop and start with each reservation, so plan your dining ressies accordingly :)

Thank you--that would explain why I was told. We were waitlisting only one night--one that would not have the DDP already attached to it.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for your responses! It makes sense that you can only waitlist with dining plans if, should the waitlist come through, you have the same plan for your entire stay.

It actually hit the 7 day mark before I got to call (already counting down the days!!), so my waitlist was already cancelled when I called (didn't come through :sad1:, but we're making the most of it by getting an extra signature meal because of splitting between deluxe and regular DDP! :yay::yay:)

Thanks again, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter