Question about "weight" requirement...

tarepanda87

Earning My Ears
I'm sorry if this has already been asked before, but here goes!

My daughter has a height chart in her room, and has been eagerly waiting to reach 40". We marked it on her height chart, and told her as soon as she reached 40", we'd book another trip. She did it! She's so excited:) She is especially excited about some of the roller coasters, like Big Thunder and Space Mountain.

I have a concern. My daughter is on the skinny side - she only weighs 30 lbs - 7th percentile for her age. I don't see minimum weight requirements for any of the rides. Are my concerns valid for her riding these rides in the event of a sudden stop?

Please let me know your thoughts on the matter. We go at the end of April - and I want to prepare her in advance should we decide that there are rides that might not be safe for her.

Thanks in advance for your (hopefully kind and constructive) opinions!

Welcome to DIS!

There is not an official weight requirement. If she measures up to the height requirement at the measuring stick for whatever attraction, they will let her ride.

Now, that said --- there have been many a parent who has reported on here that although their child measured up, they held on to him/her throughout the ride for the same similar fear/concern that you are expressing here.

Personally, I believe that if there is a very strong force in play, a parent's hold is not going to be strong enough to make a difference. It truly comes down to the lap bar, belt, harness, restraint of that particular attraction. If you do not feel comfortable with your daughter riding something due to her petite stature, that is an issue that you need to address and be the judge. It is going to be an internal family discussion, not one that Disney is going to say, "Nope, she can't ride." Disney CMs will measure her based on the height requirements. Any concerns beyond that, are yours to reconcile. I suggest discussing it with her beforehand so that she understands that you may say, "No" even if Disney says, "It's okay."

- Dreams

Never saw a weight requirement. Our son just made 40 in January and he did fine. I think Space Mountain might require 48 inches. Better double check but BTM was fine.

The only ride that freaked me out with my tall and skinny DD was BTMRR. I don't know of there are new cars after the refurb, and how they might be different, but in the old cars, both riders shared the same lap bar. My lap was quite a bit higher than my daughter's, so she was very loosely restrained. It seemed like she was 6 inches off the seat every time we caught some air. I'm sure it was mostly just me freaking out, but I did think "this can't be safe" more than once.

No issues like that with Space. Each rider has an individual lap bar.

Have a great trip!

No weight requirement.

The ONLY issue we've ever had with child size is on Big Thunder Mountain. And it was because of the serious size difference between DS and DH. DS usually rides with me, but I just wasn't feeling up to it that day, so they went together. DH turned to DS and DS was sliding towards the floor of the ride vehicle, neck at bar level. So not good. I'd heard of it happening before, but I honestly never really believed it. :guilty::blush:

But that's still not really weight of DS. He was 8, I think, and well over 60 lbs. It was just the difference between him and his dad.

Remember! It doesn't matter what it says on the home chart or the doctor's chart or a ruler you pull out of your purse. All that matters is Disney's height sticks. They are an upside-down L, and the child near that height WANTS to touch that top stick. If they are ducking and not wanting to hit it, they won't hit the mark and they won't be riding. Stand straight and tall, and don't duck.

Also, if she's still really close, be sure to do all the height-req, MUST DO, rides at the very beginning of the day! Make sure she gets lots of sleep, is hydrated all day and evening, and isn't wearing herself out too much during the days. The opposite of those things, along with gravity, pulls the fluid from our intervertebral discs over the course of the day, which makes us shorter. Ever notice you have to adjust your car's seat forward at the end of a rough day, and you have to put it further back in the morning? That's what is happening. We all shrink during the day, and when there's a big ride on the line, prep for success and do it FIRST!

Also be aware that multiple rides on one big ride can also cause it. 4 times on Space might be fine, but that 5th time might have to be put on hold, because she might not hit it that time.

My daughter was exactly like yours (weighed 90 lbs on her wedding day).
The first time I took her on BTMRR, I screamed the whole way because I was trying to keep her from flying out of the ride. Weight should certainly be an issue in addition to height. I strongly urge you not to take your daughter on BTMRR.

Remember! It doesn't matter what it says on the home chart or the doctor's chart or a ruler you pull out of your purse. All that matters is Disney's height sticks. They are an upside-down L, and the child near that height WANTS to touch that top stick. If they are ducking and not wanting to hit it, they won't hit the mark and they won't be riding. Stand straight and tall, and don't duck.

Also, if she's still really close, be sure to do all the height-req, MUST DO, rides at the very beginning of the day! Make sure she gets lots of sleep, is hydrated all day and evening, and isn't wearing herself out too much during the days. The opposite of those things, along with gravity, pulls the fluid from our intervertebral discs over the course of the day, which makes us shorter.
All of this is so true. I've measured the sticks due to people complaining their child was 40" at home, but too short at Disneyland. The sticks are exactly on the money (except Jumpin Jelly Fish, which is 41".) I would hate for her to get there and expect to ride all the rides, only to find out she is an 1/8" too short.

All of this is so true. I've measured the sticks due to people complaining their child was 40" at home, but too short at Disneyland. The sticks are exactly on the money (except Jumpin Jelly Fish, which is 41".) I would hate for her to get there and expect to ride all the rides, only to find out she is an 1/8" too short.

Tuesday evening, we saw a couple arguing with the CM at Space over their DD's height. They were certain she was over 40" not just 40" and she did not hit the bar, so yes, go early in the day!!

I'm with everyone else, BTMRR freaked me out! I really hope they change to belts rather than the lap bar with this refurb. With all the turns and hills the kids slide everywhere, I held onto my DC for dear life and couldn't wait for that ride to get over because I was so stresses about my tiny 5 yo.

I always hold on to my thrill seeking, skinny DD on basically any fast ride. I definitely have worried about her flying out of BTMRR!

I hold onto DS4 when on BTMR...but if my mom is with us, I like to ride 3 people in the car. DS4 is in the middle and there's no sliding around in the seat. DS6 is a thrill seeker and will ride with DH and doesn't want to be held onto! LOL. Last time they rode it though they were just turned 3 and 4 almost 5.

The only ride that freaked me out with my tall and skinny DD was BTMRR. I don't know of there are new cars after the refurb, and how they might be different, but in the old cars, both riders shared the same lap bar.

Based on everyone's wonderful responses, it seems BTMRR is the ride I should be most concerned about. I forgot they are just finishing up refurbishing it. Perhaps DH or myself will ride it first and see how we feel about it.

Thanks for the suggestions with the height. She would definitely be bummed if they told her she couldn't ride something after we've assured her she is tall enough. When we measure her with shoes on, she's almost 41", so hopefully there will be no disappointments.

If she can't get on a ride, I figure, it's Disneyland. There will be momentary tears until we put her on a different ride, and then it'll be smiles again. We've taken her to DL a few times already, and while she gets a little sad about not riding bigger rides , or ride closures (we've already prepared her for Little Mermaid being closed for refurbishment - as this was her favorite ride last time we went), she's generally happy while at the happiest place on earth:) I think I would be more disappointed than her...

I rode BTMRR with dd who was measuring barely 42" with shoes on and is 34lbs. It was not an issue. Yes, the lap bar was above her lap, but there was no way she was going to fly out. She loved it!

My DS hit 40" at age 3. He was 31lbs. BTMRR freaked me out but he loved it. I am the parent that holds him thought and sometimes try to put a leg on theirs since I'm definitely heavier. I'm hoping the new cars have separate lap bars. Everything else was not an issue. I did get some looks and comments going on TOT (his favorite ride!) with a tiny 3 year old lol! Most were telling family members if he could go on it, they shouldn't have any issue.

I did get some looks and comments going on TOT (his favorite ride!) with a tiny 3 year old lol! Most were telling family members if he could go on it, they shouldn't have any issue.
DD7 started riding TOT when she was four. It instantly became her favorite and countless people have told others in their party the same thing about my tiny little one (though I think she'll finally be tall enough for Screamin' on the next trip - how time does fly...)

I've never had trouble with my youngest on BTMRR, but, I have always kept my arm around her if it's just the two of us (it's often me and both girls), simply because of the lap bar situation. I'm not a big person (size 4), but the lap bar still isn't close on a small 4 year old.

My daughter was right at 40 inches when we took her three days before her third birthday. I let her ride Soarin' and maybe would have allowed Splash Mountain, but she got scared. I might have allowed Big Thunder, but if they are young I would wait on Space for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter