Question about walking through Disney World

Erina

Disney Princess
I'm planning my first trip to Disney World in Feb. 2013, and I have a couple of questions. From what I've read so far, it looks like it cost around $15 for transportation from park to park Would it be possible to just walk from a Value Resort to one park per per day (4 day total)? How much walking is involved? I plan on bringing some good sneakers and bottled water. Its just adults as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

There is no way to walk to any park from a value resort. You do know that WDW provides free bus transportation, don't you?

If you're staying onsite, the Disney buses from resort to parks is free. Parking at the parks is also free, if you chosde to drive. You cannot walk from any of the value resorts to any of the parks, though.

If you're staying at a Disney resort they offer bus trasnportation at no additional charge. Or if you are staying at a Disney resort and would like to drive to a park, there is no charge as you just show the attendant at the booth your resort voucher you get at check in.
Now if you were not staying ON Disney property then you would have to pay to park each day.
You definitely don't want to walk to a park from most resorts, especially the values. The Contemporary or the Poly are doable walks to MK. Or Beach Club to Epcot.

There is lots of walking through the parks alone each day so good shoes are good to have!

There is no way to walk to any park from a value resort. You do know that WDW provides free bus transportation, don't you?

Sorry, I did not know that. This is all new to me, so that is why I asked. Thanks!

I'm planning my first trip to Disney World in Feb. 2013, and I have a couple of questions. From what I've read so far, it looks like it cost around $15 for transportation from park to park Would it be possible to just walk from a Value Resort to one park per per day (4 day total)? How much walking is involved? I plan on bringing some good sneakers and bottled water. Its just adults as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)
Transportation between resorts and parks is free. If you drive to a park, it costs to park if you aren't a resort guest. Also, the busses do not go from park to park, the got from resorts to parks and back. The monorail visits several resorts and two parks, which is also free. There is also a boat that visits several resorts and Magic Kingdom.

If you're staying at a Disney resort they offer bus trasnportation at no additional charge. Or if you are staying at a Disney resort and would like to drive to a park, there is no charge as you just show the attendant at the booth your resort voucher you get at check in.
Now if you were not staying ON Disney property then you would have to pay to park each day.
You definitely don't want to walk to a park from most resorts, especially the values. The Contemporary or the Poly are doable walks to MK. Or Beach Club to Epcot.

There is lots of walking through the parks alone each day so good shoes are good to have!

Very informative. Thank you so much! I thought it would be good to stay at one of their resorts instead of one outside. It will save us money in the long run :) The voucher thing will definitely come in handy if we choose not to use their transportation.

Thanks again!!

Are you staying at a Disney resort? Transportation between resorts and parks is free. If you drive to a park, it costs to park if you aren't a resort guest. Also, the busses do not go from park to park, the got from resorts to parks and back. The monorail visits several resorts and two parks, which is also free. There is also a boat that visits several resorts and Magic Kingdom.

We don't have hopper passes, so one park per day is fine with us :) We are planning on staying at one of the value resorts.

Transportation between resorts and parks is free. If you drive to a park, it costs to park if you aren't a resort guest. Also, the busses do not go from park to park, the got from resorts to parks and back. The monorail visits several resorts and two parks, which is also free. There is also a boat that visits several resorts and Magic Kingdom.

Actually, they do go park to park.
They just don't go from park to Downtown Disney or DD to parks.

Do they really? That's great! I learn something new every day when I read these boards. I guess I never thought to look since we never do park hoppers.

Correct. Technically they don't go to/from Magic Kingdom--those buses service the TTC and then you catch a monorail or ferry to MK.

OP, Disney World is spread across land that is twice the size of Manhattan. You do not want to walk between anywhere, with the possible exception of Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

We don't have hopper passes, so one park per day is fine with us :) We are planning on staying at one of the value resorts.

You made a great choice to stay on Disney property. You can take the free buses to the 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, and DTD. Each theme park has its own bus. The buses will be marked when they arrive at your resort bus depot.

If you bring a car, parking is free at your resort. Parking is also free for you at the parks and DTD. Just show the theme park parking attendent your parking pass, which you keep on your dashboard in front of the steering wheel.

It is faster, when visiting Magic Kingdom, to take the bus, not drive to the parking lot. The car lot is on the other side of a large lake, and in addition to parking your car, you have to take a ferry boat or the monorail to the other side of the lake, to reach the park entrance. However, if you take the bus, the bus depot is right next to the park entrance. Lots of people like to park at the MK lot and take the monorail or ferry to MK. It's fun. Just that it takes a little additional time.

Some places you will see boats. In front of MK, at the Epcot World Showcase, and just outside Epcot International Gate, between France and the UK. You can board any of these boats for free. The boat just outside the Epcot International Gate will take you to the deluxe resorts on Crescent Lake and also take you to Disney Hollywood Studios.

You are also allowed to ride the monorail free. One monorail circles around the monorail resorts. One monorail is an express from the TTC (MK parking lot) to MK and back. The last monorail goes from the TTC to Epcot and back. Even if you ride the monorail to just look around, plenty of people do that. Stop in at one of the beautiful monorail resorts and take it all in or have a meal there.

Disney doesn't want people exploring too much on foot. There's critters, and there's lots of cars. The Florida sun, heat and humidity will defeat many people after just a short walk. You can walk all around your resort, and all around the parks, but if you don't see a sidewalk, don't walk there.

Don't forget the free transportation from the airport to your resort if you are staying onsite!!!

The $15 is to park for the day,if you park at one park in the morning you pay that $15,which is for the entire day,if you then choose to go to a second or third park in the same day just keep your parking receipt so you don't have to pay to park again that day.

Transportation is also free from park to park,there are buses,monorails,and boats that can get you from park to park,which mode you use depends on where you're coming and going.

If you stay at a Disney resort there are buses,monorails or boats to get you to your park free of charge,if you stay onsite and wish to drive to the parks,parking is free as well.

Basically if you're staying offsite you pay $15 and you can go wherever you wish inside Disney free of charge.

Just to give you an idea of how far apart things are in WDW...

WDW-Prop_050312.jpg

I think your best bet is to pick up a guidebook like Passporter WDW so you can get more familiar with WDW. Looking things up and asking questions on the net is convenient, but having an actual book with almost everything in it is valuable.

Even if it was possible, I don't think there are sidewalks.

OP,
You're staying on site, and there are definite advantages to it. You're also going at a slower time of the year so the buses shouldn't be crowded at all. As PPs have suggested, buy a guide book and read up on WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter