Question about visiting other resorts

Lisa3

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the Polynesian in Nov. but we really want to check out AKL (DS also wants to buy a carved giraffe). What is the best way to get there from the Polynesian? Is there a bus from TTC to AKL and then AKL to Animal Kingdom? Is there a bus from AKL to TTC? We will have a car but we really hate to use it after that long ride from NJ. Also, when is the best chance to see the animals, morning or evening?

Use the car.

To use Disney transport you'll have to take the monorail around Bay Lake to the MK. Get off, walk down the ramp, go to the bus area and wait for and get on a bus to the AKL. Even in the best circumstances, hitting the monorail and the AKL bus with zero wait, I bet you're looking at 20 minutes.

In spite of car fatigue, you can park at the AKL in the non- valet lot, which isn't very far from the front door, maybe 200 yards, for free. When you get to the guard booth show him your parking permit from the Poly and tell him you're going in to look at the AKL. He'll waive you on through.

I'd always used Disney transport only before last winter, when I had a car. Trips to off places like AKL, DD, Disney Sports are way easier, faster, and less frustrating that using their transport.

Have fun

If you staying at the POLY I believe you can walk to the TTC next to the poly and take a bus to AKL

Yes, you can walk to the TTC from the Poly - it's only 5 minutes or so through beautiful grounds...very pleasant :)

However, buses don't run to the resorts anymore from TTC (resort buses only run back and forth to the MK main gate now with the exception of the WL) so you'd have to go to AK and then get a bus to AKL from there.

What would probably be better is to hop on the monorail as it's more frequent and reliable to the MK, and then pick up the AKL bus direct from there, rather than relying on two buses :)

Animals are usually out both early morning and evening, but it really depends on how hot it is at the time - it helps too if you're around when they decide to feed them...no shortage of beasties to see then ;)

Take a cab!! It will not cost you that much money & you can avoid the hassle (at least it is in my opinion) of getting in the car, driving over,etc.. We stayed at AKL for the first time last in July. We had a great view of the animals both morning and afternoon. Maybe you could go over in the aftrenoon, explore a bit then have dinner at Boma or Jiko - both great restaurants at AKL. You could always end your AK park visit by taking the bus (or walking) over to AKL, then explore, have dinner & cab back to the Poly. Enjoy!!

Lisa3 - I don't think it will be real quick however you go; but I think I would take a bus to DTD and change to an AKL bus right there.

There are lots of ways to get there. One way, during park hours, is to hop on a bus to any theme park and then just hop on the AKL bus from there. You can easily get over there after time spent at the AK by hopping over to the AKL on a short bus ride and then after your tour of the AKL catch a bus from there to any park -- then hop on a Poly bus. Or if you go the MK from the AK by bus you can hop on the monorail. After hours the easiest way I have found is to hop a bus to the Marketplace and transfer from there to an AKL bus. With the expanded hours at the Marketplace you don't have to worry about not being able to catch a bus back to the Poly. We always rent a car when we are there as it saves tons of time resort hopping or going to the Boardwalk or Marketplace. It is about a five minute drive and the bus service can take up a bunch of time but it is certainly doable. As far as seeing the animals, we've had our best luck after it rains. We always catch lots of animals on the safari ride. When we stayed at the AKL the animals seemed to roam into our view on a fairly regular basis all day long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter