• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about using wheel chairs for part of day

psycgirl

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I was just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis this week and can't put any weight on either foot right now. We leave for disney world in 10 days and if I don't heal by then I'm going to need a wheel chair. I've never used one before ever let alone at disney.

I most likely won't be able to walk long distances or stand for more than a few minutes. If I get a wheelchair I am wondering if I would be able to park it somewhere and walk into a store or ride a few attractions close to each other without getting back in the chair after each attraction if they are a few feet from each other. I'm not sure how this whole process works.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm pretty discouraged from this sudden condition as I spent 6 months planning this trip and the doctor acted like I should cancel it.

Will you propel yourself? Or will someone push you? Either way, Disney is big, huge, it goes on for miles and miles, with lots of uphill climbs. Whoever will be maneuvering the wheelchair is going to be exhausted, especially in the Florida sun.

I suggest you consider an ECV. It is a great choice for getting around if you must be off your feet. You can rent one at each park, or off-site for continual 24 hour availability.

Whatever you decide, you can leave your WC/ECV outside the store/restaurant, or in the general area. Just don't leave valuables on it when it is out of sight. And consider a cheapo poncho to cover it if it looks like rain. :)

We haven't decided yet but if I'm in a manual I would push myself some and at other times someone else could push me. So there are general areas to park the wheelchair where I could leave it and go in a few places then come back and get it? I'd like to walk a little bit if I am able. It will really depend on how painful it is when I get there. Right now I can't walk at all.

We haven't decided yet but if I'm in a manual I would push myself some and at other times someone else could push me. So there are general areas to park the wheelchair where I could leave it and go in a few places then come back and get it? I'd like to walk a little bit if I am able. It will really depend on how painful it is when I get there. Right now I can't walk at all.

I do not want to sound like a nay-sayer, but you will not be able to propel yourself more than a few feet in a rental manual wheelchair. I use a manual wheelchair in daily life, and it took me a year before I could do any real distance. My wheelchair is custom fitted and weighs 15 lbs... many of the rentals weigh 45lbs.

If you cannot have someone push you consistently, you really do need to consider renting an ECV.

About using a wheelchair part-time - no problem! Lots of people do this. In fact, I posted about this issue a few months ago - Check out the thread here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2564976

I use my own manual wheelchair part of the time, what I do, is in the mornings when my body is at it's best, then I walk, and wear my flip flops, after an afternoon break, then I bring the chair and wear my braces. Later in the day is when I need it the most, so that's how I do it. I sometimes push myself, maybe like 5-10% of the time, but DH or DS push me around. My chair also is a Quickie, so its' super light. It's tough with the hills to push yourself, mostly AK.

You won't be able to move yourself in a standard wheelchair for more than a few minutes-- like to go to the bathroom, and being pushed is tiring for the person pushing, and can be frustrating for the one being pushed, depending on how good the pusher is. Get an ECV and just plan to stay in it until you get to the front of the line and transfer from it to the ride. I am the example of what not to do with PF, and because of it I am now permanently disabled. I know the pain you are in. Stay off of your feet.

Often the length of the line can be deceiving, so if you park outside you may not realize that by the time you get to the front you have walked quite a distance. Or the ride could break down or just have a temporary stop that can leave you standing there for way longer than you can handle. It isn't worth risking further damage just because the line doesn't seem that bad.

Every ride has an option for staying in your ECV all the way through the line to the front, parking near the ride to transfer and then get back to your scooter, with a few exceptions. For Pirates you have to transfer to a standard wheelchair and I think maybe one or two others. You will be asked at the ride if you are able to transfer. Just say yes and they will direct you where to go.

You can take the ECV in the shops if you want and then stop and get up if you need to or usually you can find a place outside to leave it. But believe me, I have had no problems in any of the shops with my ECV-- unfortunately for my husband!

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with plantar fasciitis this week and can't put any weight on either foot right now. We leave for disney world in 10 days and if I don't heal by then I'm going to need a wheel chair. I've never used one before ever let alone at disney.

I most likely won't be able to walk long distances or stand for more than a few minutes. If I get a wheelchair I am wondering if I would be able to park it somewhere and walk into a store or ride a few attractions close to each other without getting back in the chair after each attraction if they are a few feet from each other. I'm not sure how this whole process works.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I'm pretty discouraged from this sudden condition as I spent 6 months planning this trip and the doctor acted like I should cancel it.

I really would consider a scooter. It can take months to heal so I would not count on it being better in 10 days. My sister has suffered with it over 4 months now.

Denise in MI

We are looking into renting one for the week.

My main question is if I bring my own to the park are there general areas to park wheelchairs so that I could walk around within the lands if I am able to and then come back and pick it up. For instance, fantasyland has all the attractions really close to each other and I think I can walk from one attraction to the other but not from land to land. I think it would be easier to do that than try to pop in and out of the chair for each attraction a few feet from each other while keeping up with the chair. I'm trying to wrap my mind around this but it is hard since this will be my first wheelchair experience. My hubby wants to get a lock to put on the wheel so that it wouldn't be stolen but I don't know if that is what people usually do there or not. The cast members may need to be able to move the chairs around so that might not work. I'm wondering how people keep them from being stolen.

Yes, you can park your wheelchair in stroller parking, but you cannot lock it to anything. I know some people lock the wheel to the frame, so it can be dragged, but not wheeled far away. CMs WILL need to be able to move it around, so if you lock it to something, they will cut the lock and remove the wheelchair.

You will see lots of wheelchairs and scooters in stroller parking.

Thanks that is very helpful information!! This forum is the best for figuring things out ahead of time ;) Do they care how long you leave your chair in the stroller area?

Not really, but you will want to be aware of parades and fireworks - Fantasyland shuts down during the fireworks, and it is difficult/impossible to get from one part of the park to the other when there are parades happening.

I think you will want to use it in most queues, as they are mainstreamed. Soarin is 1/4 mile in and 1/4 mile out, and that does NOT include the really big hill out front. If a ride breaks down or takes longer than you thought, you could be stuck in a queue for a while, and there is no way your family could leave the line to go get the wheelchair! I suggest you keep it with you whenever possible, just to have a place to sit!

Great!! Do they have a list of the stroller areas anywhere online for the different parks?

I rented a chair long ago for a visit when I was recovering from a bad fracture. Afterone day in a park I called the vendor and successfully swapped it foe a scooter. Both my wife (the pusher) and I were strong and in good shape (except for my leg) and it was really hard work!

ETA: WDW is surprisingly hilly when one is a noob in a chair!

Great!! Do they have a list of the stroller areas anywhere online for the different parks?
No, because they move the spots from time to time.
It is pretty easy to figure out where the spots are though. The attractions that are not close together usually have their own stroller parking area. Where attractions are close together, the will usually have a combined parking area that is close to several attractions.
They are pretty easy to find - many have signs and if they don't look for an area with tightly packed rows of strollers. There is almost always a CM nearby tidying the strollers, so if you don't know where to park, you can ask.

Wonderful! I'm guessing there is at least one or two at the world showcase at epcot due to it's size

Also someone was telling me about getting a card at guest relations. i know there is one in every park but are they in the resort as well so that I can get a card the night I check in. I didn't want to hold my family up right when we enter magic kingdom since it is the early magic hour and they don't want to waste any time. I may have them leave me there to get my card myself and have them come back to get me if there is no way to get it beforehand. I certainly don't want to take away from the fun for my family

You can only get a GAC at parks or DTD. Sorry.

I'm not sure what kind of GAC you would actually be given. WDW's response to mobility problems is a mobility device such as an ECV or wheelchair. If it would be difficult to navigate stairs for those rides where you wish to park the chair and walk (for the few rides that do have stairs), you can get a GAC for that, but there isn't a GAC that will shorten queue lengths or wait times or offer you somewhere to sit if you don't bring your chair.

I'm not sure what kind of GAC you would actually be given. WDW's response to mobility problems is a mobility device such as an ECV or wheelchair. If it would be difficult to navigate stairs for those rides where you wish to park the chair and walk (for the few rides that do have stairs), you can get a GAC for that, but there isn't a GAC that will shorten queue lengths or wait times or offer you somewhere to sit if you don't bring your chair.

That makes sense. I didn't know if they had different levels of GAC. Definitely no stairs with my foot unless it is one or two. I can't put full weight on that foot long so I just shuffle at home or limp or hold on to the rail and pull myself up but it is a lot of effort and very slow. I should be able to do short queues but if too long I will definitely just stay in the chair. It will all depend on how my injury is by next week. There is a chance it could get better if I stay off them as much as possible this week or I could make it worse I'm sure by walking on it this week so my feet have been up since last week as much as i can.

One correction - you can only get a GAC at the 4 Theme Parks, not at Downtown Disney.

For more information about GACs, check out post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or with the link in my signature.

After much discussion with my husband we decided to go with a rental scooter offsite so that I have a chair with me always. This way I can have freedom and can get myself around the park if I am left alone during our visit. It was a hard decision because I know I'm going to get those stares and rude comments that I've been reading about from other guests but at the end of the day I have to do what is best for my health and when I tried to walk on my foot today it didn't go well. I'm just surprised at how many posters have had negative comments or looks from other guests. I have been to disney 6 times previously and I never felt that way about anyone using a wheelchair or ecv and that saddens me that people can be so judgmental and rude to someone they don't know especially at such a magical place like disney. The fear of that kind of experience almost made me cancel this trip that I've been planning 6 months for when faced with this new injury. My husband suddenly became protective and said that he would deal with anyone making any comments at the rides or especially the buses. I pleaded with him to rent a car so we could avoid an awkward scene at the buses but he thinks it would be too hard to transport the scooter in a car. I'm still going to try to get him to change his mind about that if I can. I just hope I can drive it. I am not the best driver to begin with. I think I need to visit the grocery store and practice before next week. At least now I shouldn't slow down my family. If they waited for me to limp on one foot we wouldn't get much done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter