• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about transfer of points OKW to BCV

brownsoup

Disney Daddy
My brother is a DVC member at OKW. If I hit him up and barrowed some points – how would I use them to my benefit if I own and BCV and want to stay there. For example – lets say I have 100 points I can use towards a 2br 260point BCV week stay and my Bro transferred 160 points to me – would I have to wait until the 7 month window to request? I’m a bit confused on how to “pool” family points to make it all work. Thanks for the feedback - Steve

Yes, you would have to wait until the 7 month mark to make your reservation, at least for the part that you needed the OKW points for. You could book the room for as many nights as you could with your BCV points prior to the 7 month period and then wait til the 7month for the remaining part of the reservation.

I believe the textbook answer is, yes, you would have to wait until the 7 month window. Transferred points are supposed to retain their home resort and use year characteristics...presumably to prevent exactly what you are suggesting. That would mean your Bro's OKW points would still be OKW points.

Now, whether the textbook answer occurs in the real world may be another matter entirely. I have read posts indicating that DVC's computers can't actually do that, and in reality, transferred points sometimes (always?) assume the identity of the account they are transferred to.

I have not tried what you propose, so I can't give you an answer based on personal experience.

Jim the answer man! Thanks all. I can always try it the "renegade" way at 11 mos and then if I strike out just dial early at 7mos.

brownsoup said:
Jim the answer man!
Actually, I don't even pretend to know the answer to your question. Transferring points is one of the most difficult areas of DVC to understand, and I am certainly NOT an expert. I was just offering what I've heard...

Since the deal is between you and your brother, you two should be able to work out any issues that come up. Just be aware that you will NOT be able to transfer the points (or any points) back to him during the same use year. You can only transfer in one direction per use year.

I just posed this question to Memeber Services yesterday. The answer was: The points take on your resort home status and your month for the use year.

The use year part is what effects me the most since I have a Feb use year. If someone transfers points to me and for example they have a September use year, it gets very hairy. Like for 2006 points, points which they had that were good until September 2007 are now only good until February 2007. I'm not very clear on what would happen if they tried to transfer me 2005 points which would be good for them until September 2006, since February 2006 is already passed!

I don't know the answer for the UY question, but I do know first hand that the transferred points changed from MY SSR home resort to the other members BCV home resort!

As a matter of fact, the person who I transferred into had contracts at both BCV and BWV, so they asked me which contract I wanted to transfer my points into.

And I guess that when transferring points to another member, you can *only* transfer points from a current UY correct?

You can't say, bank points from 2006 into 2007 and then in 2007 transfer the balance of both that UY's points and the banked points to another membership? ( and as an offshoot question for posterity, if you COULD do it, which I assume you can't :), can you also transfer BORROWED points? )

You cannot transfer banked or borrowed points. You can bank transferred points, but that's it.

In the past when I have done transfers MS always tells me that the points retain their UY and home resort. Whether they really do or not is another question.

When we bought our Vwl contract it had 100 points from 2004 that I was told had to be used by 09/06. These supposely had been banked. When we closed I received a call from another agent in the timeshare office and he said that I had to bank these points. I was confused so I called member services and she said the 100 points had been transfered in and she didn't know where they had come from and I did need to bank them and they would be good until 09/07. All I can think of is that the seller sold the original 100 04 points and then reread the contract where they advertisied the points and I was verifing all points so she had some transfered in which extended their life. Hope this made sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter