Question about tours... specifically the Behind the Steam Trains Tour

maureeny

Earning My Ears
Has anyone been on the Behind the Steam Trains Tour? Did you enjoy it? We are also signed up for Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage, and the Behind the Seeds Tour. I think the Behind the Steam Trains Tour looks very cool... I was just wondering if anyone can tell me more about it (I think sometimes when you call to book, the CM has a scripted response). We are staying at Boardwalk, and would have to take a cab over to MK about 6:45 am to be on time. I also know it lasts for 3 hours (7:30 am to 10:30 am) and you go behind the scenes a bit to see where the engines are kept, maintained, etc. Anything anyone else can tell me? Thanks in advance!!

I've done this tour twice, and probably going for a third time this January. My husband and I both love steam trains, and actually operated an authentic steam train at our local amusement park.

The reason it starts so early is because they take you back to the round house (which is actually square) where they keep the steam trains, there is usually 4 of them but I believe one of the steam trains is up in ohio for a major overhaul. (maybe the Lilly Belle not entirely sure).

They go over the basic mechanics of the steam trains, how they work and if nothing has changed in the last 2-3 years you also get to take a look in the cab of a cold engine. (one that isn't fired).

They go through the starting up of the firing process, firing if you are not familiar with the term literally refers to building the fire in the firebox of the engine. Its the fire that heats the water, that creates the steam that moves the engine. They go a little in depth on that, and it since it is a timely process you usually leave after they get the process started. If I remember right they then take you a train ride back up around the park and explain how the block system works, basically how they keep the trains separated, and the basics of operating the engines and trains at the park.

Afterwards they also spend quite a bit of time on the history of the specific WDW engines, where they came from originally, how they were restored, and generally the history of Disney and trains. Walt Disney if you are not aware was a HUGE steam train fan which is why there are steam trains at both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in Florida.

If you really like trains I might also recommend a stop at the Iron Spike room at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. They have a few of the cars from Walt Disney's original Carolwood Pacific line that he ran at his own personal home. This was partially what spured the development of Disneyland.

Hope this helps! It is a very enjoyable tour.

Jennifer

I did not take it, but my Dad did and he loved it. He's a big train buff, so this was right up his alley- he had nothing but good things to say about it. So I guess I can't give specifics, but I can tell you that you'll have a great time!

DH & I did this tour and absolutely loved it! We stayed at AKL and the buses were early enough that we got to MK in plenty of time to meet up with the train conductors!
My DH is Chief of Rail for San Diego County and he was thoroughly impressed with everyones knowledge of the trains and overall train history as well as Walt's love for trains.
The signature train pin they give you at the end is awesome! That I will never trade away! :goodvibes

Thank you all for your help so far!

A little more information..... (that may be helpful)...

We are not huge train people, but on the same note... we do think trains are very cool. It's myself, my husband, and our son - who will turn 11 yrs on this trip. I was thinking it would be a very cool educational experience for our son (and us). Will we get lost if you don't know a whole lot about steam engines prior to the tour?

Also, does anyone know if you get to ride the train for the 9:00 am park opening? We are pin collectors... so I thought the pin at the end was a cool perk!!

We did this tour three years ago and will be doing it again in two weeks! It is a good one. The only down side that I could say is that because you go back stage for part of it, you can't take pictures of the round house. Which really is a bummer since there is so many neat things to see! You ride the train from Main Street Station to the round house, and then back agin when you time back there is up. The park will allready be open when you return to Main Street. Really cool in my book. :thumbsup2

I just went on the Steam Train tour this morning. I'm not a train buff, but DH is, and I'll give it 2 thumbs up.
Our guide was great. I learned so much. Very interesting. It started at 7:30am and ended right around 10:30am.

1) Good tour.
2) But, absolutely no cameras or cell phoes with cameras.
3) They have been known to ask for your cell phone until tour ends.
4) Security concerns and secrecy concerns of trains & monorails.

My dad did this tour about 3 weeks ago. After he made us stand around and watch the trains leave Toontown Station for 15 minutes on our trip last year, I thought he'd enjoy the tour and bought it for him for his birthday.

Anyway, he loved it and regaled us with fun train facts for the rest of our trip. We were staying at Coronado and he took a cab to the Contemporary and walked from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter