• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about tolls - driving from Port Canaveral to Gulf Coast (and then to MCO)

mcd2745

These Mickey pretzels are making me thirsty!
What is the beat approach to the tolls? I'm sure I've heard before that they are eventually supposed to go completely cashless, but has that happened yet? I also know all states are supposed to make all their collection systems compatible with each other at some point, but that hasn't happened yet - otherwise I could just take our EZPass from home.

We're renting a minivan (from Dollar) in Cape Canaveral after getting off our cruise and heading towards the Gulf Coast (New Port Richey) to visit family for a few days before heading back to MCO (flights were actually cheaper than TPA). I guess my preference would be to just pay all the tolls with cash and decline any of the options that seem like a rip-off the rental company will offer. Is that still possible? Google Maps plots the best route as 528 to 417 to I4, and I know 528 & 417 are toll roads. I assume no more than 10 bucks total for that trip, then maybe one or two on 528 coming back to MCO.

Get a roll of quarters and maybe 10 ones and you'll be over-prepared for what the roads ask of you. And that way you don't have to take the booth that gives change.

Get a roll of quarters and maybe 10 ones and you'll be over-prepared for what the roads ask of you. And that way you don't have to take the booth that gives change.

Thanks. So you can still use cash at all tolls...none have gone completely cashless yet? Is that still supposed to happen?

Yes you can use cash at the toll booths. But I would take more than 10 in $1. A lot of tolls are $1. and some change. And on 528 there seems to be a toll every 5 feet. JK

But I'm sending the OP off with $20. A roll of quarters AND the ones. :)

I do have to back up, though, because I re-read and the OP says the GULF coast. I just read "coast" and my mind went east-wards. So I actually do not *know* if there are cash tolls going west once you've passed WDW, and I hope others can speak from a place of knowledge and not mis-reading it. :)

Your last Toll will be at Celebration Toll Plaza on the 417 ...... Just before you join I-4 Heading for Tampa.

( Watch out for Mickey's Head Outline on the Electric Pole ,... on Right as you Join I-4 )

Appreciate the responses. My main concern was completely cashless tolls that would require either getting a Sunpass or accepting what the rental company (Dollar) offered. Good to know that's not the case at this point.

FYI...In my research, I came across the info on "interoperability". The Feds mandated back in 2012 that all toll collection systems nationwide (like SunPass, EZPass here in the northeast, etc) are supposed to become compatible with each other by October of this year. It's highly likely though that deadline will get extended (of course 4 years isn't enough time for state gov't agencies to accomplish something). But it would sure make things easier for everyone if we could just bring our transponders from our home states to use in Florida.

Last edited:
Isn't there a website that allows you to check the amount of the tolls in Florida? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different state

But it would sure make things easier for everyone if we could just bring our transponders from our home states to use in Florida.

Sure would.

Then again, not everyone uses toll roads or lanes or bridges in their home state and therefore not everyone has one. Makes things a huge pain when there are no cash tolls for people like that.

I like cash tolls and don't understand why places feel the need to take the option away.

Sure would.

Then again, not everyone uses toll roads or lanes or bridges in their home state and therefore not everyone has one. Makes things a huge pain when there are no cash tolls for people like that.

I like cash tolls and don't understand why places feel the need to take the option away.

They don't want to pay employees to stand there and collect tolls/give change. Plus, some toll workers have sued their municipalities for illnesses they claim was related to breathing in exhaust fumes. So I'm sure the agencies want to rid themselves of that potential liability as well.

We don't have toll roads here in MN....so a transponder from home would do me no good. I hope the cash-friendly tolls stay. Otherwise, we will be looking at alternate routes that add mileage/time to avoid them..

What about NON U.S.A. visitors ...... We have no need or have your type of Transponders

Our choice is Cash booths & they also keep people in a Job

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter