Question About Tipping - MDR

AnthonyDrexelBiddle

Earning My Ears
Hi There - About to head on my first cruise and have a quick question for you experts on tipping.

We are on a 4 night Wish sailing and we will be eating dinner at both Palo Steakhouse and Enchante. Are we expected to tip the MDR servers on the nights that we do not eat in the MDRs?

Yes you are. You are automatically charged $14.50/nt/guest. This covers the stateroom host, server, assistant server, and head server. The servers actually work at other stations during the day, so your gratuities are actually covering any food service you have on your cruise, even by someone else. (Except for the upcharge restaurants and room service, those would still require tipping.)

I understand. I guess I am having trouble getting my head around the concept of what - in my mind - is double tipping. I'm having 4 meals in the upcharge restaurants at which I will need to tip (no problem). But I then also have to tip the other servers who are working elsewhere for services I am not using? I have NO problem tipping (and tipping well for service) - I do have an issue with tipping for service I am not actually receiving.

.But I then also have to tip the other servers who are working elsewhere for services I am not using?
Unless you don't eat any meals in the MDR's (breakfast & lunch) or Marceline Market or on Castaway Cay you are using their services indirectly. As Geomom mentioned the dining room staff also rotates working those areas for breakfast and lunch and there is no direct tipping done there it is all part of the $14.50 per day fee.

Tipping is still ultimately up to you, and if you chose to deduct the tips for those servers, no one here or even on board would likely stop you.

This is probably the thing I dislike most about cruising, the fact that these billion dollar companies won't just pay a fair wage and instead make it my job to contribute to their employees' compensation (oh, and the fact that the servers may face negative consequences if you mark on your survey that the food was anything but excellent...) But, I acknowledge as someone who does enjoy cruising, that this is the way the industry is. I budget as though the cruise price includes those 'automatic' gratuities.

I understand. I guess I am having trouble getting my head around the concept of what - in my mind - is double tipping. I'm having 4 meals in the upcharge restaurants at which I will need to tip (no problem). But I then also have to tip the other servers who are working elsewhere for services I am not using? I have NO problem tipping (and tipping well for service) - I do have an issue with tipping for service I am not actually receiving.
I completely get what you're saying, and mostly agree with you, but we always pay the expected gratuity, regardless. I think the issue here (and honestly in many places in the US, now - see tipping on to-go orders or when paying before receiving food) is that tips have become a way of providing base compensation for many workers, rather than actually being tied to the service they're providing.

As the others replied, the servers do rely on the "tips" as a major part of their income, and it's not as though they have another way to make up the difference if someone does not show up for dinner (whereas at a normal restaurant, they would theoretically have different people to serve if you don't go there). If you don't tip, they basically end up paid less, through no fault of their own. I see the standard gratuities as something that really ought to just be part of the overall cost, but that the cruise line (this is not unique to Disney) hides as an optional(!) expense. So, it makes sense to pay it like any base cost - I don't really see it as a tip for service (and really neither does Disney, or it wouldn't be auto-charged).

That said, providing the gratuities is technically up to you, and you can actually get them removed from your account if you wish. But, unless you say something, it will be auto-charged to you.

P.S. I don't understand exactly how this works, but from what I've heard, the comment cards are actually one of the best ways to recognize good service - the ratings evidently matter a lot to them, and if someone is mentioned (positively) by name that is good for them.

P.S. I don't understand exactly how this works, but from what I've heard, the comment cards are actually one of the best ways to recognize good service - the ratings evidently matter a lot to them, and if someone is mentioned (positively) by name that is good for them.
It is. As to the tipping, if DCL (and others) raised the cruise fees and paid everyone equally what would be the incentive for them to go above and beyond. At least with the tipping system in place they definitely work to make you happy and then many increase the tips to reflect the better service.

Thanks for clarifying the intent. My *wish* is that the US could get behind paying people a living wage and away from tipping culture but alas I don't think that is to be.
This is not a US thing on the boat, its more of a cruise line industry item. Yes the US has the issue with tipping (which is a double-sided sword, by servers getting tips, it does keep their wages up with inflation whereas minimum wage employees typically get screwed here)

For the boat its because they pay folks all sorts of minimum wages based on where they are from, which can be fractions of US minimum wage. (but usually significantly higher than the specific native country's minimum wage)

As PP said, cruise line tipping has long been about something else than the concept of tipping on land. The cruise lines introduced the idea many decades ago to keep the fares low and to put the responsibility of providing a living wage to their tipped positions employees on the customers.

Once it became problematic for some employees, they started to charge a set amount of tipping automatically, knowing that most guests will simply not do anything about it. They can still call it tipping because guests can remove them by going to guest services, but for the employees, it has nothing to do with "going above and beyond" for an extra revenue, but rather they do it to make sure they receive an essential part of their living wage.

Considering that the hourly rate onboard for tipped employees is usually extremely low - we've been told that some senior tipped servers on DCL do very well regardless of tips, but that most of them wouldn't be there if not for them - cruisers should not consider tips as a bonus given for exceptional service, but simply as a part of the total cost of the cruise. The real tipping starts when someone gives anything above the recommended daily amounts.

the suggested gratuity is really a bargain when you think about it. If we tipped an appropriate amount every place we ate, every day of the cruise, plus the room steward it would cost way more.

Interestingly, Virgin Voyages has done away with tipping on cruises and just includes it in the fare. Literally. When you pay for a drink for instance, there is no line to add a tip.

People will say that Virgin is more expensive, but when you consider that gratuities are not needed (because Virgin compensates crew at a non-tipped wage level), WiFi is included, sodas are included, gym classes are included, gelato is included, etc, it’s actually a pretty good deal… and their food is fantastic.

Also, on DCL it bugs me that I have to pay a tip on a) popcorn, and b) just buying a Wish MV cooler (with no alcohol in it). I literally paid someone around $3 to hand me a bag…

Interestingly, Virgin Voyages has done away with tipping on cruises and just includes it in the fare. Literally. When you pay for a drink for instance, there is no line to add a tip.

People will say that Virgin is more expensive, but when you consider that gratuities are not needed (because Virgin compensates crew at a non-tipped wage level), WiFi is included, sodas are included, gym classes are included, gelato is included, etc, it’s actually a pretty good deal… and their food is fantastic.

Also, on DCL it bugs me that I have to pay a tip on a) popcorn, and b) just buying a Wish MV cooler (with no alcohol in it). I literally paid someone around $3 to hand me a bag…

So this is a British company thing though. A lot of the British cruise companies either claim they don't have tips or have offers continually that include the tips. Virgin as a British company have gone down that route because Brits do not tip in general its a very odd concept and so if you want to appeal to British cruises its one of the best marketing ploys. I'm sure last summer with the Staycations Disney did they got a rude awakening on how our culture just doesn't get tipping the way American culture does. I know I for one heard multiple people when walking past guest services asking to remove tips. Virgin have just got rid of this option to reduce the headaches.

In terms of MDR tipping, I think what you have to think of it as you are tipping for those meals you do have outside of the restaurants. You will be eating more than just dinner every day and these are what you are actually providing that tip for as you would in the US.

I'm having 4 meals in the upcharge restaurants
I’m curious how you managed to pre-book the upcharge dining for all 4 nights of your cruise? Usually one can only pre-book 2 dinners, 1 in each restaurant, and then get on a waitlist once onboard for additional.

As to MDR tips - others have answered. While it goes to your assigned dining team, it covers all meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) because those servers work other locations as well and there is no mechanism in place to tip for those meals.

I’m curious how you managed to pre-book the upcharge dining for all 4 nights of your cruise? Usually one can only pre-book 2 dinners, 1 in each restaurant, and then get on a waitlist once onboard for additional.

As to MDR tips - others have answered. While it goes to your assigned dining team, it covers all meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) because those servers work other locations as well and there is no mechanism in place to tip for those meals.

I think you can prebook 3 actually because first night bookings aren't the same as the rest of the cruise but yes seems strange to get 4

They could do Palo brunch and dinner, Enchente (SP sorry) brunch and dinner?

To be completely honest, we did Palo Brunch and Dinner on the same cruise once and said "NEVER AGAIN." It is always one or the other now.

Sorry if that wasn't clear: Dinner & Brunch at Palo Steakhouse, Dinner & Brunch at Enchante booked through the concierge

So this is a British company thing though. A lot of the British cruise companies either claim they don't have tips or have offers continually that include the tips. Virgin as a British company have gone down that route because Brits do not tip in general its a very odd concept and so if you want to appeal to British cruises its one of the best marketing ploys. I'm sure last summer with the Staycations Disney did they got a rude awakening on how our culture just doesn't get tipping the way American culture does. I know I for one heard multiple people when walking past guest services asking to remove tips. Virgin have just got rid of this option to reduce the headaches.

In terms of MDR tipping, I think what you have to think of it as you are tipping for those meals you do have outside of the restaurants. You will be eating more than just dinner every day and these are what you are actually providing that tip for as you would in the US.
It's customary to tip about 10% in British restaurants, though. And bellhops still take tips, too. And I saw plenty of tip jars at takeout places and coffee shops. So, who says that British people don't have a tipping culture? Nonsense.

Sorry if that wasn't clear: Dinner & Brunch at Palo Steakhouse, Dinner & Brunch at Enchante booked through the concierge
Ok, that’s all I could think of to get 4, but I guess in my mind “brunch” doesn’t preclude dinner in the MDR. Maybe with a late brunch and early dinner seating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter