• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about the trundle beds at POR

Sireney

Earning My Ears
I've been searching through so many POR posts, and haven't seen anything 'yet' that describes the trundle bed. What I really need to know, is just how big/comfortable, is this bed. I have three teens, 17, 15, and 13. My 13yo being the likely candidate to sleep in the trundle. He's around 5'4", and I just want to be sure that it's going to be comfortable, before I go ahead and book. I also wonder if perhaps someone has a picture of the room with the trundle bed out, so I can see how crowded it's going to be.

At this point, though, any info would be great!

We've been to WDW many times, and always stayed at a value resort, POP being the most frequently visited. While we love it there, we thought we'd try something different.

So..born is the POR idea. The resort looks so beautiful, and POFQ looks beautiful, too. *Providing many new pictures for this avid scrapbooker :banana: * and the price for a mid August trip is pretty good, too.

We originally wanted to take advantage of the package with the free dining, going 8/26 - 8/31, but, our daughter starts her first year in college on 8/27 :sad1: so, that cancelled that idea out.

Thanks so much!

Here is the layout of POR:

portorleansriv.gif

POR room lay out

Here are some photos of the POR room with the trundle bed from Allearsnet:

ABbeds.jpg

ABtrundle.jpg

ABtrundleopen.jpg

the trundle bed

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

I've been searching through so many POR posts, and haven't seen anything 'yet' that describes the trundle bed. What I really need to know, is just how big/comfortable, is this bed. I have three teens, 17, 15, and 13. My 13yo being the likely candidate to sleep in the trundle. He's around 5'4", and I just want to be sure that it's going to be comfortable, before I go ahead and book. I also wonder if perhaps someone has a picture of the room with the trundle bed out, so I can see how crowded it's going to be.

At this point, though, any info would be great!

We've been to WDW many times, and always stayed at a value resort, POP being the most frequently visited. While we love it there, we thought we'd try something different.

So..born is the POR idea. The resort looks so beautiful, and POFQ looks beautiful, too. *Providing many new pictures for this avid scrapbooker :banana: * and the price for a mid August trip is pretty good, too.

We originally wanted to take advantage of the package with the free dining, going 8/26 - 8/31, but, our daughter starts her first year in college on 8/27 :sad1: so, that cancelled that idea out.

Thanks so much!

Hi! We're staying at POR too, over free dining! I've never stayed there before, and can't wait.

I've been doing some research on POR in preparation of our trip, and it sounds as if the trundle bed is kind of tiny, and meant for little kids. However, I have read a few posts of people saying they did have older kids (over the age of 9) sleeping in them, and it worked fine.

Here's what it says about it on allears:

"Alligator Bayou lodges are a more rustic, backwoods cottage setting, featuring 16 smaller two-story Cajun-style buildings with charmingly rustic wooden furniture and settings. In addition, the rooms in Alligator Bayou contain a trundle bed that will sleep a child bringing the room occupancy total to 5. The Trundle Bed is intended to accommodate children under 9; or persons under 5 feet tall. They are narrower than a conventional bed."

Kelly

We stayed at Por recently. Our kids are 13, 10 and 4. Mostly our 13 year old ds slept on it and he said he was comfortable. Thirteen year old boys can sleep standing up however lol. It is meant for kids 9 and under but if you have an easy going unfussy kid not too tall they will be fine. The only downfall is when it is pulled out the people sleeping on that double have to get off on the opposite side of the bed. hth

The trundle isn't big and from home, it'll seem like only a small person can sleep on it. BUT, I'm here to tell you that my stepdaughter slept on it when she was 17 years old and about 5' 7". She said it was more than fine for her and she had no problem sleeping on it. It doesn't just depend on the size of the person, but whether or not they can handle sleeping in a smaller space, if that makes any sense. It's *so* convenient to be able to get 5 people in a room at POR with a trundle, so we thought it was worth it even though the trundle wasn't very big.

BTW, I'm a huge scrapbooker myself and I usually take a gazillion pictures! I, unfortunately, didn't take many pictures inside the room at POR when we were there, so I don't really have any to share.

We stayed there a couple of years ago. My DS (an only son w/ 3 sisters) went on that trip. He was 20 at the time and 6 ft. tall. As a college student, he's used to "crashing" on friend's sofas and I don't even want to think about where else he might be when he's not in his own dorm room. He said that it wasn't as comfortable as his bed at home, but not too much worse that his bed at school. There's a curtain that can be pulled over the sink area, giving his 2 sisters that went on that trip a little more privacy to change. I certainly wouldn't call the room spacious, but we're used to cramped quarters on vacations since we're a large family. He said he would be fine staying there again. However, since my DD-20 is now engaged, my future son-in-law seems to go with us everywhere. So now we get 2 rooms (connecting, is possible) at Pop and the future son-in-law and DD share one room. Getting two connecting rooms at a value resort isn't too much more than getting one room at a moderate. The big plus for us is that we have 2 bathrooms. You might also want to consider the Family Suites at AS Music. For the money, I still prefer to just get 2 connecting rooms at a value. Plus, I think even the trundle is more comfortable than that sofa bed.

Those pics that Minnie posted on POR are out dated...the rooms have been rehabbed and are MUCH brighter, IMO.

We loved POR-AB...and I thought the trundle was great. I laid on it and felt very comfy (my 6yo actually slept on it though....) but I am a kinda smallish lady... 5'2.

I think you will love the atmosphere but with three teens, you may be more comfy in two rooms...it was large enough for three women and two little girls but, 5 adult like people...it may be small.

First, thanks for all the great responses! :) :cheer2:

My 13yo was sitting by me when the pic showed up of the trundle bed, and his first words were....well, he said he wasn't going to be sleeping on that. LOL He's afraid of getting stepped on while sleeping, too. :rotfl:

We're somewhat tempted to just book two rooms, that are adjoining, at POP, as usual, so that we have two bathrooms, and two TV's, and real beds for everyone to sleep in. :dance3:

But, of course, it's all still up for debate...I really want to try somewhere new. :rolleyes1

What I really need to know, is just how big/comfortable, is this bed.
As you can sort of make out from the above photos, the bed is about a foot shorter than a double sized mattress. The "bed" consists of what is basically a shallow wooden "tray" on casters. The mattress is about half the thicken of a standard mattress. When we last stayed at POR in a trundle room, our then 11 year old son deemed it "OK... but not great."

101_1001.jpg

here is a more updated pic of the beds at POR just FYI...these are very nice and bright...not dingy and old looking like some others I have seen

they were very nice beds...but ITA on the trundle...probably not good for a teenager IMO

Have you thought about staying at the Dolphin hotel?

The Dolphin will sleep 5 and they have a free roll away for children.

The Swan/Dolphin hotels often have great rates that cost about as much as a Disney Moderate.

Here is the link to the discount thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1284875

It is a real 4 star hotel.

Deluxe but not as expensive as Disney's deluxe resorts.

The heavenly beds are ...well heavenly.

The Grotto pool and hot tubs are fun and relaxing.

Plus Epcot and MGM are just a short boat ride or walk away!

From Epcot hop on the monorail and head on over to the MK!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/swan100.jpg

dolp2.jpg

dolp43.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/dolp5.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/dolph21.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/swan25.jpg

*note photos are from allearsnet

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

Are air mattresses allowed in the resorts? If they are you might consider getting a twin one and just using that instead of the trundle bed. Just a thought.

Yes, air mattresses are allowed in the resorts. We've used them. However, unless your child really likes air mattresses, the POR trundle bed is still probably a step-up over them.

After reading through lot's of posts on this board, and others, I found that a lot of people do bring an air mattress, so, I've started to consider doing that. A twin size air mattress isn't that much money, and the pump is relatively inexpensive, too.

Disfan3 - wow, the colors are so bright and cheery now. Thanks for that pic!

Minnie - thanks for the suggestion of the Dolphin. I'm going to be back and checking prices/dates today! :coffee:

Disney will not allow you to book a POR for 5 people unless one of your children is under 10. They will ask you the names and ages of everyone in your party, so unless you plan on miscounting, they will not allow you to book. There are many threads about rooms that will hold 5, you should check them out:)

We just got back from a split stay at POR and 2 rooms at All Star Sports.

For our one night at POR, DH and I had one double bed, DD13 and DD7 shared a bed, and DS15 had the trundle. We put pillows under his feet to extend the length. He didn't sleep well, to say the least. (His other alternative was the floor.)

At the All Stars, DS15 had his own bed, the girls shared a bed, and DH and I had our own room. We had two bathrooms, which made it much easier getting out in the morning. (The guys shared a bathroom, and the ladies shared the other one so that we didn't have to worry about modesty issues.)

POR IS a beautiful resort, and we loved the room and the setting. In fact, DH wants to know where they get their furniture! The All Stars are garish in comparison.

Disney will not allow you to book a POR for 5 people unless one of your children is under 10. They will ask you the names and ages of everyone in your party, so unless you plan on miscounting, they will not allow you to book. There are many threads about rooms that will hold 5, you should check them out:)

When I called last night to inquire, the rep on the phone was definitely willing to book the room for me, based on my whole party, and she had the ages of all my children right there on her computer screen. Plus, I specifically told her that my youngest was a 13yo. She did go on to say, that the trundle was designed for children, up to the age of 9. But, that I could certainly book it for my party.

Thanks for your input, though. :flower3:

Disney will not allow you to book a POR for 5 people unless one of your children is under 10.
There have been some people that have reported being told that by reservation CMs at CRO, but it appears to be bad information at CRO as the "solution" to this problem was for the people to politely hang up and call back to speak to someone else.

When I called last night to inquire, the rep on the phone was definitely willing to book the room for me, based on my whole party, and she had the ages of all my children right there on her computer screen. Plus, I specifically told her that my youngest was a 13yo. She did go on to say, that the trundle was designed for children, up to the age of 9. But, that I could certainly book it for my party.

Thanks for your input, though. :flower3:

Thanks for the info!::thumbsup2 I went to Disney's own web site after I posted, and it did allow me to enter three older children. I wonder why some of the CMs have been giving people problems when they want to book? Not enough coffee in the morning?:snooty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter