• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about the Soarin' announcement

srpresto

Earning My Ears
So, I saw that Soarin' Around the World will be coming to Epcot next year, and I am very excited. But does that mean that the California version will be retired completely? Will it still show at Disneyland, or will they show both versions at Epcot?

Good questions. I've not seen anything that would indicate that the current version would be kept anywhere. However, I also haven't seen anything that indicates it wouldn't be kept.

So, I saw that Soarin' Around the World will be coming to Epcot next year, and I am very excited. But does that mean that the California version will be retired completely? Will it still show at Disneyland, or will they show both versions at Epcot?
Everything that I have read indicates the new movie is a replacement. The California version is being retired.

Everything that I have read indicates the new movie is a replacement. The California version is being retired.
It's likely it will be retired for now but could come back if they wanted and relatively easy because they are switching to a digital system rather than the old film system.

My guess is it will be retired for now, but be brought back in 5-10 years. However, there is no official word one way or another.

I would assume that movie would go away for awhile but the new digital theaters would allow for fast or multiple options to be available. I look forward the possibility of special occasion films.

I'm in agreement with the DISUPLUGGED team...
With the move to Digital technology, it will allow easier transition and optimal archiving of the older version of the ride. And the idea that it would come for special events makes sense.

My question about it all, is...
Will the Soarin' Around the world soundtrack be a NEW composition, or will they use the original score and just possibly re-tool it for the new film?
Personally, if it IS going to be a new score, it's gonna have a tough go at it, because the music for Soarin' is damn near perfection!!! :)

Will the Soarin' Around the world soundtrack be a NEW composition, or will they use the original score and just possibly re-tool it for the new film?
Personally, if it IS going to be a new score, it's gonna have a tough go at it, because the music for Soarin' is damn near perfection!!! :)
That we don't know yet.

I was having the same discussion with my wife earlier this week. I would probably miss the score more than the movie. The original music was composed by Jerry Goldsmith, so not even like he can re-tool the music since he has since passed away. Though I would love if they got Michael Giacchino to rework it. He's done a ton of excellent stuff for both Disney and Bad Robot and both done reworking of classic scores (for MI:3 and Star Trek as well as Jurassic World) and also done theme park stuff - including the re-done Star Tours as well as the French Ratatoullie ride, so I would trust him to take what Goldsmith wrote and update it.

It pretty much has to be a new score. The music is intended to compliment/reinforce the visual. With different scenes you need different music.

Did they announce and official time for next year? Like spring summer or winter?
I expect the new film at DCA by next summer. These theaters got the new projectors earlier this year. The film looks much better. Also, most of the signage and even the CM costumes now just says "Soarin", with the new logo. I doubt DCA will be delayed while Epcot catches up.

I heard they promised it as exclusive to Shanghai when they open. Perhaps they're getting even a different film, but I guess I wouldn't expect it to change at DLR or WDW until later in the year.

I heard they promised it as exclusive to Shanghai when they open. Perhaps they're getting even a different film, but I guess I wouldn't expect it to change at DLR or WDW until later in the year.
It was supposed to be exclusive but i believe that has been changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter