Question about Teppan Edo

Akess

Mouseketeer
My husband and daughter would like to try Teppan Edo during our December trip. My issue is I absolutely cannot tolerate onions in my food. Additionally, I can taste it if onions touch my food, or my food was cooked on the same surface as onions. I really wish I wasn't this picky because it would make meal planning and preparation at my house so much easier; however, I literally gag at the taste of onions. Does anyone who has dined here before know if the surfaces that onions are prepared are separate from areas where the meat and sides are prepared? I also notice in photos that onions appear to be mixed in with the noodles. Can it be requested to leave the onions out, and will those noodles be prepared in a separate area?

as far as I remember the onions are cooked on the same surface as everything else.

I don't know if you have ever eaten at a traditional hibachi grill but thats basically what Teppan Edo is minus the Hibachi flare (they have to tame down the special hibachi tricks and effects bc its Disney, lol). Anyways what it is is you get seated at a long table with other people and in front of where you are sitting is a huge grill/cooking stove thing. The waitress comes out and takes your order and then the cook comes out with all the food unprepared and cooks everything right in front of you. Its pretty cool to watch, but if you are that sensitive to onions I would avoid this place at all costs, because like I said everything is cooked on 1 stove top and you are seated with other people so its not like you can say please don't bring any onions out. And if I am not mistaken I think they use the onions as part as 1 of their tricks. Maybe you can find another place that everyone can agree on. I would definitely stay away from Teppan Edo.

All you can do is ask them to cook your food first and without onions. But then you have to sit there while everyone else's food is cooked with onions. don't know if you are sensitive to just taste or to smell also.

I know the Hibachi places here will sometimes fix one portion for someone off to the side of the rest. I don't know if that is an option at Teppan Edo, but everything for the table is definitely cooked on a single surface. The meal definitely includes onions. If you have eaten at other Hibachi restaurants, I would just avoid this one - they aren't able to do as large of a show because they don't do anything with large flames.

:-)Tell them you're allergic to onions and I'm sure they will make sure no onions come into contact.

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 3
We've dined at Teppen Edo many, many times, and I loathe mushrooms, and someone else in my family hates onions. It's NEVER been a problem; the chef will keep the food that he is preparing for you separate and away from the ingredients that you don't like.

They scrape and clean the heat top surface before they begin your meal, so you won't get the flavor or taste of anything that was prepared on that surface previously.

If someone does have an actual allergy, they may handle it even more carefully. But if you're like me, and don't even want the flavor of onions (mushrooms in my case), the chef will make sure that it has no contact with them at all. Enjoy!!!!! :sunny:

As someone who has shared a table with other parties who had special requests, it is intrusive. Flame away if you must.

This is a unique restaurant where, unless your own party is taking up all 8 seats, my personal feeling is it is rather rude to force others (whom you don't even know) to accommodate your personal preferences. Yes, the other diners can/will get their meal prepared as it should be but the timing & portions of everything ends up off since they typically do the special requests firsts.

I'd pick another place where you won't affect other guests' experience. Just my philosophy not to intrude on others at a place set up like Teppan Edo.8-)

Thanks for the feedback. It looks as we are going to skip this restaurant...we wouldn't want to "intrude" on another party and ruin their Disney vacation.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks as we are going to skip this restaurant...we wouldn't want to "intrude" on another party and ruin their Disney vacation.

If you want to dine there, then do it! Like I said above, we make special requests and it has never been a problem. It doesn't interfere with the "show" that the chef puts on at all. I'm kind of surprised to read some of the replies here that say that if you have a special request then you are intruding on someone else's dining experience. Maybe the other diners should reconsider where to dine if hearing someone tell the server and the chef that they have an allergy or don't want mushrooms will ruin their dining experience. :scratchin

Yes, the food is all cooked on the same surface, but it's very large and the chef has plenty of room to prepare different meals. They clean the surface very well before preparing your meal. They will keep your food far away from the onions if you want them to. Go and enjoy!!!! :sunny:

My husband and daughter would like to try Teppan Edo during our December trip. My issue is I absolutely cannot tolerate onions in my food. Additionally, I can taste it if onions touch my food, or my food was cooked on the same surface as onions. I really wish I wasn't this picky because it would make meal planning and preparation at my house so much easier; however, I literally gag at the taste of onions. Does anyone who has dined here before know if the surfaces that onions are prepared are separate from areas where the meat and sides are prepared? I also notice in photos that onions appear to be mixed in with the noodles. Can it be requested to leave the onions out, and will those noodles be prepared in a separate area?

OP, you shouldn't have to skip this restaurant. Tell them that you cannot eat onions, they will make your food separate in the kitchen and bring it out when everyone else is ready to eat, they did this for me because I have legit food allergies and there was no problem. Either way, people need to be understanding both ways. I don't feel that you are impeding on anyones dining experience and you should just go and enjoy this restaurant. :)

Let's try this again...

OP, don't give up going to any restaurant just because of some Buzz Killington's here. Karma will get them when they get stuck at a table with people who have allergies and they can't get moved.

Disney is one of the best destinations in the world for dining with allergies or issues. The fact that a few seem to think that since they're "normal", you can't eat there. Yeah, doesn't fly with me and a lot of others as well.

If you want Teppan Edo, go eat at Teppan Edo. If someone at your table has a problem with it, then look at them and tell them that: 1. You'll gladly trade your illness (or whatever the issue is) with them and 2. They can asked to be moved somewhere else, so as not to put a downer on the show you'll get.

Teppan Edo is one of the best restaurants in the World Showcase, don't pass it up. The food is great, portions are good sized and, IMHO, it was worth what I paid for the meal to eat there, unlike our dinner at Kona the next night (which is an entirely different story).

I can't eat any seafood so when we go to Teppan Edo, if someone at the table has ordered seafood, they cook most of mine first. I think that I get the veggies and noodles at the same time as everyone else. It doesn't really throw off the timing of the meal at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter