Question about staying up late at the Oceaneer Club.

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
My kids are early-to-bed generally, asleep by 9. (Maybe a bit later on the weekend.) Seems to me there's lots of stuff late at the club, though: activities that don't start til 8:30 or so, and movies, then there's the slumber party... And, um, I'd kinda like to get out with dh and a big bunch of Dis'ers on our cruise. (I would've preferred to be able to have a sitter in our cabin after bedtime, but it was about the only thing I liked better about RCL compared to DCL...)

So, is it still fun for the kids later in the evening or have you seen kids in there cranky and tired and wishing for Mom and Dad? I guess I can just try it with my two and say "please page me if you're not having fun". A little worried about late-bedtime "hangover" the next day too, though we're not so much into the ports and seems like a slow start in the morning wouldn't be so bad. Experiences?

My kids are early-to-bed generally, asleep by 9. (Maybe a bit later on the weekend.) Seems to me there's lots of stuff late at the club, though: activities that don't start til 8:30 or so, and movies, then there's the slumber party... And, um, I'd kinda like to get out with dh and a big bunch of Dis'ers on our cruise. (I would've preferred to be able to have a sitter in our cabin after bedtime, but it was about the only thing I liked better about RCL compared to DCL...)

So, is it still fun for the kids later in the evening or have you seen kids in there cranky and tired and wishing for Mom and Dad? I guess I can just try it with my two and say "please page me if you're not having fun". A little worried about late-bedtime "hangover" the next day too, though we're not so much into the ports and seems like a slow start in the morning wouldn't be so bad. Experiences?

With my GK's, they seem to love to stay up late and get up late. It is harder to get them up for shore excursions that it has been to get them up in the morning. The GK's have an early bedtime during the school year also but with all the things going on, they don't seem to have a problem.

Like you said, you can always have them page you if they are tired. Sounds like you have it handled.

My daughter got bored withthe "night" movie time on our 4 night cruise.

We are from the West Coast and I don't think she really got her body changed over to the time change. So when the counsellors are trying to have "quiet movie time", she wasn't really ready to sit still.

But it's also not like she slept in any earlier in the mornings.... She might have just been excited about the whole thing so sleep was not even on the radar until she pooped right out.

My daughter got bored withthe "night" movie time on our 4 night cruise.

We are from the West Coast and I don't think she really got her body changed over to the time change. So when the counsellors are trying to have "quiet movie time", she wasn't really ready to sit still.

Hey Ken, I know where Quesnel is--we lived in Victoria for 10 years! (Now in Halifax.) I have to figure out, is the cruise mostly on Atlantic time? I was thinking we'd have a wee bit of a morning edge/evening lag if on Eastern, but if we're on Atlantic, it would work out better for our evenings... :confused3

When our ds was younger, he would fall asleep on the mat watching the movie. Our older daughter never had a problem staying up a little later. She had and still has more energy than DH & me put together.

Grant it, we are from Central US time and the cruise is on Eastern time mostly (1 hour ahead of our normal), my kids did great in the clubs/lab after hours. Now grant it, mine sleep in. If I had kids whom still got up with the crack of dawn, I would think about it, because that brings cranky kids. Now when my DD was a toddler, we brought her back in the day for naps. We NEVER do early excursions, so this helps us as well.:hippie:

Thanks everybody! Really reassuring, I guess it's possible they'll adjust, as it seems like lots of kids do...and if not, we'll adjust. I'm thinking, we'll probably just go to bed with them (what usually ends up happening on vacation--at least we get some extra rest!), so I can see getting up before them and enjoying quiet "downtime" then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter