Question about Soarin

DisneyShaw

Earning My Ears
OK, so I have read everywhere that this is the greatest ride in WDW and I would definitely try to go on it but reading the description I can't quiet figure out if it would be OK for small kids (6&4). Also, both DH and I do not do well on the "simulator" type rides, where you sit still and the just shake you around and move the screen. It really messes with my equilibrium and makes me very queesy (throw me on a good rollercoaster any day :-). So will I get the same sensation from Soarin?
Thanks for your help

You should be fine. My DH can't do those simulation things either and he loves Soarin' and I get motion sickness very easy and I don't on it. There are a couple of times I kind of have to look at one part of the screen but, that is it.

My DS loved it at 3 yo. He talks about it all the time.

My kids were 7 & 4 this past trip and they loved it. It is a great ride. My DH does not like the simulator rides (Star Tours) but he loves Soarin.

You shoule be fine. The ride has the passenger sit in a chair that is elevated off the ground. Your feet dangle. The ride gently tilts to the right and left in the slow, leisurely manner of a handglider. Nothing more. You will be in front of an IMAX sized screen so if those have a dizzying affect on you then be forewarned. I have never met anyone who has a problem with this ride. It is NOT a thrill ride by any stretch of the imagination and the HM is scarier:lmao:...

I have never met anyone who has a problem with this ride.

It is gentle, but I would not go quite that far. People who have issues with heights will definitely have a problem with this ride. I rode it but I was gripping anything I could grip and hanging onto my 5 year old like crazy. I spent most of the ride looking backwards at the ride mechanics that were visible. That kept me feeling somewhat safe.

It is a gorgeous ride - well done in every sense. But it really makes it seem as though you are hang-gliding WAY above California. That's why I say, if you have an issue with heights, proceed carefully.

Edited to say: My then-5-year-old loved it. She's 8 now and she still loves it!

People who have issues with heights will definitely have a problem with this ride.

Problems with heights are more pronounced if you are in row 1- you're the highest up and you have no visual cues that you are actually affixed into anything. In rows 2 and 3 you can see the feet of the people above you (it doesn't sound like much, but it helps). In row 1 I grab onto the handholds (I'd have less trouble if it was a six point harness and not a simple lap belt), but in rows 2 and 3 I have no problems.

I agree...a very gentle ride....but I sometimes have a problem with heights so I was hanging on with white knuckles! But the little boy next to me was leaning out!!! He was enjoying his soar!

I do not think this ride is all it is hyped up to be. I personally will not stand in line for this ride again. Not what I was hoping for. SO many better ones.

It's my favorite. I've seen many small kids on that love it and love dangling their feet.

Word to the wise: Do NOT bring anybody on that doesn't like to have their feet dangling. This past trip to WDW, I brought my mom on it after I've been on it many times in DL. My mom has a fear of her feet dangling, but I figured that since she was indoors and not really going anywhere she'd be fine. She ended up gripping my arm so hard and crying a bit. I don't think she'll ever forgive me for that one. Whoops... haha.

I can't do simulator rides (Like Star Tours), but am fine on Soarin'. My DS (age 5) loves this attraction and rode it three times this past summer.

I rested my dangling feet in the netting basket under the seat to counteract my unease.

Anyone who has a problem with Soarin' needs to leave the park and immediately go the ER....you're sick.

My cousin put her 7 year daughter with special needs on it and she loved it. 'Nuf said.

DH can't even watch teacups and loves soarin -- but only in the front row. The feet hanging in front (very minor) is distracting and he gets a tad dizzy in the 2nd and 3rd.

I'm afraid of heights and spent the first time white knuckling it, but watching because I was afraid I'd never get on it. LOVE it! Not worth a 2 hour wait (nothing is) but still great.

Obviously dh's fear of spinning and my fear of heights is a problem for Dumbo and the magic carpet ride.

I've been motion sick 2 times in my life.

The worst was on a motor cycle video game...the one that has a real motorcycle you sit on.

The only other time was Soarin. It was slight, but I was a bit.

I know I'm in the minority on this.......even in my own family, but, I just didn't think it was that great. Or maybe I should say.....not that great for the wait.

My DS loves Soarin, he's been on it a couple of times, the first time being when he was 4. As far as getting thrown out of whack by simulators, I can understand that...I can't do them either. Soarin is a little different though because it doesn't have the shaking thing, I have had no problems with it. I would just take the kids on, and if you start feeling icky, just close your eyes to block out the screen movement. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter