Question about Skipper Canteen and kids

Kerriosu

Earning My Ears
I loved Skipper Canteen when I went by myself. I want to take my whole family, but I don't think my kids will eat anything on the kids menu. Will they bring you something different, like chicken nuggets or cheese pizza, by any chance? Thanks!

I am not familiar with the kids menu, but if it is not on the menu it is highly unlikely it is available in the kitchen. I don't think you should expect something that is not available to be served.

I heard on a podcast that restaurants will bring in chicken nuggets for kids anywhere if requested. I've just wondered if anyone has experienced this first hand.

I heard on a podcast that restaurants will bring in chicken nuggets for kids anywhere if requested. I've just wondered if anyone has experienced this first hand.

If they are available in an adjacent kitchen -like 'OHana & Kona - they often will. What kitchen is adjacent to Skippers Canteen? I certainly wouldn't expect them to be running around the park to fetch chicken nuggets. But I don't have personal experience.
I am interested in others experience.

Skipper Canteen is reputed to not offer anything off menu. They share a kitchen. With Liberty Tree.

easy wdw had an article up, back in Feb I believe, that you might be able to order off the LTT kids menu for the kids. Other people have reported, on different threads, that you can order the kids mac&cheese, without the meat. I was thinking of trying this for DS in June. Anyone have any experience with either?

The problem with sharing the LTT kitchen is that for dinner, there's no fall-back option because LTT is AYCTE, and doesn't do plated kids' meals. So it depends on time of day vs. the LTT switchover, and even then, it's up to the CM.

They share a kitchen with LTT as mentioned. But it doesnt carry chicken nuggets or pizza either. I would never expect any restaurant to send runners to another restaurant to find an off menu item.

I understand the impulse to return to a restaurant youve enjoyed, but from experience, part of being a parent is tempering ones desire to eat in a particular spot with the limitations of your children ( either their palates or their behavior). Sometimes you need to postpone dining at a certain place until the children are older and have a better appreciation for food. It's just easier on everyone if you go with places that have a menu that your child will like.

I am very happy to see different entrees with different flavors being offered at various restaurants but am surprised that children are not accommodated in the Magic Kingdom resort of all places. And I do not have young ones to feed. On the other hand, maybe this is Disney's subtle way of making this a more quiet adult restaurant in the park.

I am very happy to see different entrees with different flavors being offered at various restaurants but am surprised that children are not accommodated in the Magic Kingdom resort of all places. And I do not have young ones to feed.
Children are accommodated. There is a children's menu. As with the adult menu, if it is not to their taste, their traveling party should consider a venue with a more appealing range of options.

I am not familiar with the kids menu, but if it is not on the menu it is highly unlikely it is available in the kitchen. I don't think you should expect something that is not available to be served.

That's very untrue in Disney. They always make things off the menu. They will prepare vegan, gluten free and dietary restriction items and they always find something for the kids when available. many share kitchens and pantries so it's usually no big deal.

While I can't speak to this restaurant in particular, I can share how my family has approached similar issues in the past. At DLR my DH and I love Cafe Orleans, but their kids menu leaves some things to be desired, so several times we have stopped to pick up chicken nuggets or a hot dog for my DS prior to arriving at our reservation for dinner. The kid gets what he wants, the grownups get what they want and everyone is happy without expecting the restaurant to conjure up something not on their menu.

While I can't speak to this restaurant in particular, I can share how my family has approached similar issues in the past. At DLR my DH and I love Cafe Orleans, but their kids menu leaves some things to be desired, so several times we have stopped to pick up chicken nuggets or a hot dog for my DS prior to arriving at our reservation for dinner. The kid gets what he wants, the grownups get what they want and everyone is happy without expecting the restaurant to conjure up something not on their menu.

This! Exactly!

That's very untrue in Disney. They always make things off the menu. They will prepare vegan, gluten free and dietary restriction items and they always find something for the kids when available. many share kitchens and pantries so it's usually no big deal.

I'm sorry, but that is just not true. And it is becoming more untrue as restaurants put their foot down on the ever increasing number of guests asking for off menu items. Dietary accommodations for medical or religious reasons are one thing. Pickiness does not fall under these categories.

I'm sorry, but that is just not true. And it is becoming more untrue as restaurants put their foot down on the ever increasing number of guests asking for off menu items. Dietary accommodations for medical or religious reasons are one thing. Pickiness does not fall under these categories.

Thank you for this!!!! I have read over and over folks asking how to get special meals because they have a picky eater, and still want to eat at any given restaurant. THe one that really stood out was the guy who did not want any of the food at Cape May but wasn't to eat there with a friend, so he was going to ask for a meal to be made just for him....Really?????? Would you do this at home? Pak an eatery and then refuse to choose an item off of the menu or eat from the buffet?

I have a DGD and while we never would intentionally choose a restaurant that had nothing that she would eat, if we wound up at one, she would manage. But the key is....we would never deliberately put anyone in that situation, not us, not her, and not the restaurant staff.

We visited in February, and cast members were outside the restaurant with the menu chatting up guests. After looking at the kids menu, we asked about possible modifications for our youngest, who is not a particularly adventurous eater, and the cast members brought up the fact that we could order some items from LTT. I can't remember exactly what she ended up with, but I know it included a side of fries.

Overall, the lunch was fantastic, and we ended up in the Schweitzer booth surrounded by butterflies, which was beautiful! My impression was that the restaurant was not particularly busy, which was why cast members were outside trying to drum up some walk up interest. We had planned on just grabbing a quick service meal, but I'm so glad we stopped to chat with the Canteen staff! It was one of our favorite meals on the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter