Question about Sinus Infections and Surgery

Friend of a Mouse

Braille: To touch words and have them touch you ba
I saw an ENT today and for chronic sinus infection issues and was told that I have a deviated septum. This was a follow up after two weeks on antibiotics for my fourth infection since Thanksgiving. I had a CAT scan done and found out that there is a deviation to the right affecting the frontal (in the cheeks) but not the ethmoid (near the eyes) sinuses. He showed me a spot on the CT where there is a narrow drainage passage and on the right it does not go all the way through and therefore cannot drain. You could see the right side was much smaller and he said that is the reason I keep getting sick- it doesn't take much for it to swell shut and it can't drain. You could also see significant fluid in the left which he said was a chronic infection so I am now on a different antibiotic for a month.

I go back in a month at which point we may talk about surgery. For those who have been through this, I do have a few questions:

1.) How successful were the antibiotics for clearing things up? Did it stay that way?

2.) How painful was the surgery?

3.) How long was the recovery?

4.) Did it make a noticeable difference?

At this point, I just want it taken care of. I am a singer and have had to leave a singing group because my voice just isn't reliable any more thanks to all the sinus infections. My only concern is the timing. In March the theme park I work for starts training for the season and I don't want to miss any if I can help it and I don't want to take too much time off of teaching either.

Thank you for any experiences that you can share!

My son has chronic sinus infections and I swear something is wrong. I took him to an ENT / Allergist this summer and found out he has allergies. But even with allergy Meds, he is constantly sniffly and always has drainage. I'm going to take him to a different dr but don't know if he needs an allergist or ENT... Or if all ENTs are allergists. Can you blow your nose? He literally cannot blow his nose.

I hope your surgery goes well and fixes all your sinus issues. It's very frustrating.

Have you tried a nasal steroid? I'd try that before surgery. Sinus surgery can sometimes go very wrong. Do you have really good insurance? It seems like doctors lately are more than willing to operate on the people with good insurance because so few people have it. Good luck.

I was in this situation. I also had a cyst in one sinus. I had the cyst aspirated, no big deal, but continued to get infections, so I ended up having the deviated septum fixed. This was major surgery, but totally worth it. (My insurance covered it - I mean it was worth it in terms of suffering.)

I had surgery about 7 years ago. It was the best decision ever. The ent said I must have broken my nose several times and not realized it because that was the only explaination for my right side being so small. For about 18 months I was on heavy duty abx for 2 weeks and then it would clear up for a week but then flared up. So back on abx and I was starting to lose my voice everytime it flared up. I had a cronic infection in the bottom of my sinuses that just would not go away. The surfery itself was not bad. When they took the packing out it really hurt. It is also important to do the followup even though it hurts. What they do is stick a vaccum tube up into the sinus and vaccum all of the blood and junk out. Towards the end it didn't hurt but it did feel weird. My sister and dad didn't do their followup and they still have sinus problems. I have probably had 3 sinus infections in 7 years and they clear up quick with abx.

I had a deviated septum fixed about 3 or 4 years ago. I had chromic sinus infections and am a mouth breather and my doctor also thought it might help with my chronic migraines.

It was a day surgery procedure ... I don't think I was at the hospital for 6 hours. I was uncomfortable for the first day and you need to keep changing your dressings under your nose since your nose just drains and drains. I was given the week off of work but didn't need the whole time. I was feeling normal 3 days later but still looked a little rough - I had a bit of a black eye and my nose was terribly swollen. I actually didn't think the surgery was that bad. I didn't need rhinoplasty though - I have heard that the recovery time increases if this is the case.

I didn't have the vacuum procedure another PP mentioned so I can't comment on that. I did have to use a sinus rinse (think Neti Pot) for awhile and that probably took care of the extra blood and stuff up there. I found when they removed the packing to be a little painful but not too bad - more a weird feeling.

It has helped with my sinus infections and constant draining in my throat. It has not helped my migraines. Would I do it again? Yes.

Thank you for the advice. I don't know if all ENTs are allergists, but this one is. I actually did this after going to an integrative doctor because nothing seemed to be working and she told me to see an ENT. She was surprised my regular doc and allergist had not recommended it. (Though to be fair, since i knew antibiotics wouldn't help, I just kind of rode them out and only went when it turned into bronchitis).

I have been takign a nasal steroid spray. I also take allergy meds and use a sinus rinse daily. I have decent insurance, but that idd not seem to be a motivating factor since he said let's try the antibiotics first.

In answer to another question, yes, I can blow my nose, but it only helps for a split second when I am having a problem. I was in the middle of an infection when I first saw him and the right side had swollen shut so he could not even look at it, that was the only time I couldn't blow my nose.

My biggest problem other than the frequent infections is the drainage another PP mentioned. I had to give up my singing group at church because I seem to lose my voice every other week. It has also stopped me from auditioning to be part of the shows at the theme park I work at- something I have wanted to do for years. I'm really hoping that that will go away and I can go back to singing.

I've done a number of sinus surgeries. They're not bad, and the results have always been good. When I did get the deviated septum fixed, it was a little more complicated, and your nose does drain for a while enough that you keep some gauze under it for a few days (week?). I might have taken a week or so off from work, no more than that.

For a couple of years after my surgery my nose would randomly start running. Usually when I was bent down to put my son in his car seat. Sometimes it would gush. When ever I lost my voice I would get a same day appt with my ent and they would stick a mirror on a stick thingy (like at the dentist) in liquid nitrogen and then stick in the back of my throat. Voila. My voice would come back. I worked in a call center at the time and everytime I lost my voice I had to go to the dr because I needed to be able to speak for work. For a couple of weeks after the surgery I had to use a saline spray every hour to keep things loose.

I had sinus surgery 2 years ago, following months of chronic sinus trouble and headaches. The ENT tried a number of different antibiotics, but nothing helped. It got to the point that half of my head was almost completely impacted with infection. I really had no choice at that point but to have surgery. The main purpose was to clean out the infection and open the sinuses. The dr. said he'd only fix my deviated septum (literally twisted in 2 places) if he had to in order to get to all the infection.

He did have to fix the septum. The first few days of recovery were not pleasant while the splints were still in. :sick: Once they were out, I felt much better though there was still more healing to go. I went back to work 10 days after the surgery. The headaches didn't go away for about a month, but once they were gone, they were gone!

Yes, it helped tremendously! I haven't had any more sinus trouble. It was definitely worth it. The only down side is that my sense of smell is now super sensitive. Can't hardly stand the smell of perfume or cologne. It gives me an instant headache, especially if people douse themselves in it. (Why do people do that??) Same thing with cigarette smoke. Instant headache. :headache:

I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery because it solved my sinus issues. The alternative was to settle for being sick all the time. No thanks!

I had sinus surgery 3 1/2 years ago. It was for a deviated septum, constatnt sinus infections and polyps. Recovery is really easy and it bought me some much needed time off antibiotics & steroids.

I go back for my next roto rooter next week and can't wait to feel better again!

I had my deviated septum fixed almost 20 yrs ago after suffering from horrible sinus infections and headaches. So glad I did it. The surgery wasn't bad. They removed some cartilage. My nose was very swollen, but no bruising. I do remember them pulling out the packing the next day and that was an experience!

So glad I did have the surgery. I can breathe so much better and don't get sinus infections like I used to.

My son had chronic infections. One visit the doc looks up his nose and says he's fine. But he had a smell; the same smell he always had with sinus infections so I asked the ENT to take an xray. Sure enough sinus infection. After 2 weeks we go back, "he's fine". Um, take another xray; dang infection still there. Another 2 weeks of antibiotics, we go back same routine but after the xray we get a CT scan. My son had no sinus opening on one side so his infection/stuff could not drain and would not clear. This was a one day surgery. He went in thru the nose and drilled thru the bone to make an opening. No nose packing. My son does have special needs so he does not respond to pain like others; after he had his tonsils removed he asked for potato chips when we got home! But I think he did good, he didn't complain and it cleared up his problem. He only gets infections now when his allergies rage so we have to prepare for allergy season early.

Is the bone in the sinus area what they need to open or is it the septum only. My input is for the bone in the sinus area below the eye.

I am in the same boat but my ENT told me that Sinus Surgery will not work for me. My Primary explained the surgery and I don't think I would go thru with it. THey would have to break my nose and rebuild it with no guarantee it would help. I wont' go thru that.

I'm not sure yet that they would do anything about the drainage issue. I think they would just fix the deviated septum, but I'm not sure.

My voice has been better this past week or so, so I am debating whether or not to go through with the theme park audition. For those who had the surgery, did it have any effect on your voice?

I'm currently avoiding surgery... Like OP, I have a very small passage on the maxillary at the septum, which gets even smaller when my allergies act up (or when I get any URI). My doc started me on allergy injections. I have had great results. I still get sinus infection way too much, but I'm terrified of the surgery, and besides, DH can't really be here to take over, so I couldn't do it if I wanted to!

I had surgery about what is it now, maybe 5 or 6 years ago?
I had an infection monthly, and turns out i had the same as you, plus some bone blocking my sinus, which made it not drain. They went in, and fixed it, only to find out 6 months later it didn't stay. So they had to do it again. Its very painful, and gross fyi.

I saw an ENT today and for chronic sinus infection issues and was told that I have a deviated septum. This was a follow up after two weeks on antibiotics for my fourth infection since Thanksgiving. I had a CAT scan done and found out that there is a deviation to the right affecting the frontal (in the cheeks) but not the ethmoid (near the eyes) sinuses. He showed me a spot on the CT where there is a narrow drainage passage and on the right it does not go all the way through and therefore cannot drain. You could see the right side was much smaller and he said that is the reason I keep getting sick- it doesn't take much for it to swell shut and it can't drain. You could also see significant fluid in the left which he said was a chronic infection so I am now on a different antibiotic for a month.

I go back in a month at which point we may talk about surgery. For those who have been through this, I do have a few questions:

1.) How successful were the antibiotics for clearing things up? Did it stay that way?

2.) How painful was the surgery?

3.) How long was the recovery?

4.) Did it make a noticeable difference?

At this point, I just want it taken care of. I am a singer and have had to leave a singing group because my voice just isn't reliable any more thanks to all the sinus infections. My only concern is the timing. In March the theme park I work for starts training for the season and I don't want to miss any if I can help it and I don't want to take too much time off of teaching either.

Thank you for any experiences that you can share!

I have not had this surgery myself, but my son Christian did when he was about 9. He had been through about 9 months of constant sinus infections and multiple antibiotics. Sinus studies showed pretty much what yours did: deviated septum, collapsed nasal bridge, and sinuses completely shut off so they couln't drain. At some point in his life he had suffered a broken nose that nobody knew about. No wonder he was sick all the time!

I can't speak to how painful it was. Christian is non-verbal and he doesn't express pain the way other people do. but he did real well. The first day was yucky, due to being sick from the anesthesia. But after that we just gave him the antibiotics and nasal rinses like we were told. His little nose seemed a bit tender for about a month. That was 8 years ago and I can count on ONE HAND how many sinus infections Christian has had since then.

Going tomorrow for my surgery. Just thinking of how much better I will feel in a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter