question about shooting in public

lindseywb

Earning My Ears
I have a question about how to get more comfortable shooting in public - I know that it's probably to just do it more often, but are there any tricks to get more confident in just grabbing the camera and going out and shooting? I've just taken up photography more seriously and I'm taking a class currently (in school for web design at the Art Institute), so I'm going to have to get out there and do assignments.
Also, if there's anyone in Philly who'd like to wander around with a camera with me, shoot me a PM!

If possible, have your camera ready at all times. I keep a point and shoot in my purse, and often have my dSLR in the car with me (I keep it near the door in my house so I can remember to take it). That way if something comes up, I can shoot it. There are photo ops everywhere. Concentrate on what you're doing and having fun, and the more you do it, the more comfortable you'll be. Good luck!

I like to set up different challenges for myself both weekly and monthly. On a weekly basis, I participate in a weekly "Challenge" on a photography board. The winner of the previous weeks challenge picks a topic or skill and you go out and post your best entry. Really fun way of practicing when out and about.

On a monthly basis I do a scavenger hunt. There are usually about 25 different words and I come up with a picture that matches the word. It's fun to share these types of challenges!

These types of things really start making me look at the world differently and get me used to shooting out in public. It's just a comfort level thing and the more you practice the more comfortable you become.

When I lived in Atlanta I used to go and hang out in little five points cause there was always neat store windows and neat people abouts.
Side not:One time the Grateful Dead came and it really turned into a interesting town then LOL

But anyways I would hang out and some people would come up and ask if I would take their pic it was kinda weird at first but you get used to it and you get to know some of the characters.
When I would come back I would bring the pics back and give copies to the store owners if I shot their windows many loved it cause it was better than what they had if they had any. The regulars would come over and I would give them their pics and they all loved it and when new people would come they would drag them over also.

I photograph at a zoo all the time and take my camera with me whenever I travel. I think that for me, I get so interested in getting the shots I want, everything else doesn't really affect me. Think of your camera as your travelling buddy. :)

I might get bashed for this one but don't look like a tourist look like you belong in the area thieves love tourist.

I don't use a camera strap around my neck I take and wrap a regular one around my wrist just in case someone tries to snatch the camera. Another plus about making friends with the locals is if anyone tries to rip you off they usually will help you out. A couple of lunches can go a long way making friends.

Be aware of your surroundings especially if you are alone, don't get off the beaten track in a city without a friend a phone and street guide!

You might look into joining a camera club in your area. I'm in a club in Texas and we have lots of field trips where people of all abilities go out shooting. It's a good way to learn and make other photography friends.

i think the biggest think that helped me overcome the feeling of having a neon sign pointing to my head flashing "photo being taken" is just getting absorbed in what i'm doing..when i really am thinking about the shot i want to take, settings, comp. etc i kind of blank out and don't really notice the stares...course in my area the stares are usually from amish kids and horses:rotfl: but none the less, even if i am in a populated area i notice it less cause i'm thinking more about what i am doing. that being said it might be good to travel light if you are in a city setting just for safety sake. like maybe just a holster type bag so you don't have to be constantly wondering where your stuff is and if it's safe.

thanks for the advice! i'm going out later this afternoon with a friend, so hopefully i can get some good shots!
i'm going to definitely try to keep my camera with me more so it becomes second nature to photograph the things i see, since i often find myself seeing things i want to go back and shoot later.

Relax...treat the camera as a friend and a tool to describe how you feel about a subject..

Most people respect a photographer and try not to walk in front of the lens, but also be polite to the public..don't give them a dirty look if they abscent mindedly walk out in front of you..

I have seen more then one photographer huff and snort and lower their camera in disgust when someone wanders in front of the lens, only to get in return a worse reaction.

And, of course ask to tromp around on someone's property..you will be surprised at how nice folks are letting you wander around their gardens, etc ..it goes like this, gee if this is nice enough or different enough to take a picture of - it must be special to someone else as well...works every time..you might have to sent them the photo by email..so how much does that cost??

Oh, sometimes they follow you around, but not to check up on you, often to just watch you work..again, great experience...and be prepared to share..if you are just new tell them that, don't BS...

Okay I am going to be a pain, but you mean shooting in public, not shooting "the" public right???..I have taken a few photos of folks from different area/countries etc...ALWAYS ASK..if you don't know the language, just point at the camera and them and smile..I have only been turned down once..and that was in Martinique...perhaps a superstituous thing..who knows..but I respected her wishes, smiled and just walked away...

If it is a candid shot you need, not posed..take the photo and then try to explain them what you did..most time folks will just go okay..they may want to see it and laugh at how fat ugly or whatever they are...but they are okay...and yea of course you really should get a model release form, but that is for later...

First step is to understand that you don't care what anyone thinks about you when your taking pictures... the only thing you ever need to worry about is where you are at in terms of crime. Philly has some nasty places where I would worry about being seen with a dollar in my hand let alone an expensive camera.

In the big scheme of things, what difference does it make if people think your a raving idiot for walking around with a camera... If someone looks funny at you just snap their picture.... hell start a web site for, "people that apparently are so ignorant they don't know what a camera is" then start posting their photos.

Most people respect a photographer and try not to walk in front of the lens, but also be polite to the public..don't give them a dirty look if they abscent mindedly walk out in front of you..

I have seen more then one photographer huff and snort and lower their camera in disgust when someone wanders in front of the lens, only to get in return a worse reaction.

Uh oh, does this count if a whole group of tourists who walk in front of your camera and into your shot between you and bison and stay there for a half hour?

I was giving them pretty dirty looks.

Then I changed my shot into guess who will be gored first.
1336373468_053b551e8d.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1336373468/

Okay I am going to be a pain, but you mean shooting in public, not shooting "the" public right???
yes, shooting in public not of the public...good clarification
thomas998, thanks for the concern - don't worry, not heading to north "killadelphia"...center city has enough interesting buildings/murals/waterfront areas/parks/etc. to keep me occupied.

Try a Photowalk. These are quite good fun and you get to be around alot of other photogs, out in the public and getting used to your surroundings. Google photowalk and you should get quite a few results. Also, try this link.

... the only thing you ever need to worry about is where you are at in terms of crime. Philly has some nasty places where I would worry about being seen with a dollar in my hand let alone an expensive camera.
In the big scheme of things, what difference does it make if people think your a raving idiot for walking around with a camera... If someone looks funny at you just snap their picture.... hell start a web site for, "people that apparently are so ignorant they don't know what a camera is" then start posting their photos.

some of the more interesting places are in neighborhoods where you don't normally go (but maybe are afraid to stop and pull out a camera)
I wish I had more gumption to stop and take candid people pics

Uh oh, does this count if a whole group of tourists who walk in front of your camera and into your shot between you and bison and stay there for a half hour?

I was giving them pretty dirty looks.

Then I changed my shot into guess who will be gored first.
1336373468_053b551e8d.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1336373468/
i had a similar encounter with a butterfly and a teenage girl . her mom said "be careful she wants to take a photo" to the daughter ( about me) so the girl flicked the butterfly away:eek:( her hand blocking my lens of course) yeah maybe i really wanted a photo of the leaf and the butterfly was in the way...i try not to do this but i had to just roll my eyes at that one:lmao:

I might get bashed for this one but don't look like a tourist look like you belong in the area thieves love tourist.

I don't use a camera strap around my neck I take and wrap a regular one around my wrist just in case someone tries to snatch the camera. Another plus about making friends with the locals is if anyone tries to rip you off they usually will help you out. A couple of lunches can go a long way making friends.

Be aware of your surroundings especially if you are alone, don't get off the beaten track in a city without a friend a phone and street guide!

I agree with this completely. When in Belize, my wife and I befriended a bunch of people. One night, while we were at a beach bar, a local started to really get on my case because I wouldn't buy him a beer. He was drunk and verbally violent. Because we had been out the night before with a bunch of local people (we closed down the bar with them) one of the guys, a BIG dude, came over and told the guy to "stop messing with my cousin or I'm gonna kick your a**" ! ". If he hadn't done that, I don't know what would have happened. I'm relatively sure I would have been spending some amount of time in a Belizean jail. So, needless to say, that dude got free beers from me the rest of the night. Never saw him again on the trip after that.

As far as shooting in public, I'm still not terribly comfortable with it, but as time goes on, I have gotten better with it overall. I keep a low profile though as it is still a bit odd feeling usually. Depends on the situation.

is there a bison in this picture..??

I hadn't noticed...

And if that one isn't close enough, on their right side (the ones they're taking pictures of) are bison cows and bulls and it was right in the middle of bison rut. They're standing about 10 feet away from them. I was in front of the car with the door open.

1336397038_5c7ffe96c9.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1336397038/

They were closer than these people were to the elk herd in Mammoth:

1336291293_814d3d23c3.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1336291293/

Or these people at a bear jam on top of the pass, a black bear with cubs, they were standing in the road and a ranger was yelling "Have some self-preservation people!"

1335477093_e3e85d1cfc.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1335477093/

For people who've never seen a wild bison...this is how big they are.
1335520723_72b10328d3.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juliez_pics/1335520723/sizes/m/in/set-72157601890590726/

Gotta love Yellowstone...I didn't upload all my pics from the trip to flickr, just 100 or so, I'll have to see if I can find more showing how close the tourists were.

Here's Yellowstone's wild animal safety videos.... hope all those people lived through the experience. http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/safetyvideos.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter