• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about seasickness in concierge rooms

V a n e s s a

Mouseketeer
We have just booked our first cruise ever next year on the Dream, and are very excited! :hyper:

We are now considering perhaps splurging and upgrading to concierge, looking at booking stateroom 12510...

However as my husband tends to suffer from motion sickness, and all the concierge rooms are located forward where I understand most motion is felt on the ship, I have been wondering about the movement felt in these staterooms.

I would be grateful for any information on this from all you experienced cruisers... Thank you for sharing!

We weren't concierge, but we were all the way forward on deck 10 on the Fantasy and had not problems with feeling motion at all.

We have just booked our first cruise ever next year on the Dream, and are very excited! :hyper:

We are now considering perhaps splurging and upgrading to concierge, looking at booking stateroom 12510...

However as my husband tends to suffer from motion sickness, and all the concierge rooms are located forward where I understand most motion is felt on the ship, I have been wondering about the movement felt in these staterooms.

I would be grateful for any information on this from all you experienced cruisers... Thank you for sharing!

I have cruised twice, both times concierge. Knowing I sometimes get sea sick I got the patch from my doctor. He was very clear that I needed to put it on 48 hours before the cruise. Not sure I would need it I did not. The ship couldn't leave dock until the wee hours of the morning due to the bad weather. When I woke up I was sick as a dog (my family was not). When DH went to the lounge for coffee the concierge inquired after me, he told her I was sea sick. She sent sea sick meds to me. I took them & put on the patch & went back to bed. When I woke up I was fine although I was aware that the ship was moving & "rolling". Next trip I made sure to wear the patch 48 hours in advance....it fell off the 1st full day on the ship. I didn't reapply a patch & I was fine the whole trip.
Long story short (little late for that now) I could feel the ships movements at times but after the rough seas I was fine.. Not sure that makes sense but hope it helps.

I'd be interested to hear more people's opinions on this since we also booked a concierge room for our voyage on the Dream and I'm worried about my fiancé getting sea sick since he's never cruised before.

We have had stateroom 12510 on Dream and honestly we felt no difference there from the times we have been midship on other cruises/cruiselines. Honestly the most motion we have felt(and it really wasn't too bad) was when we were aft on one of our Magic cruises. Also we did cruise meet group on our last cruise did a cabin tour of various staterooms and once again, the aft stateroom was the most noticeable for movement.

I'd be interested to hear more people's opinions on this since we also booked a concierge room for our voyage on the Dream and I'm worried about my fiancé getting sea sick since he's never cruised before.

Our last 6 cruises have been concierge on Dream/Fantasy and the motion/movement was not bad at all.

We sailed in this cabin in May. I am very prone to motion sickness and can't take most of the meds to help. I did have quite a bit of problems and it was more noticeable than our midship deck 8 room we had on our previous cruise. With that said, it was also a lot rougher seas as both the concierge stated that they noticed it and the captain announced it would be rough. Despite that our family had an amazing cruise and loved concierge. In fact we have that room booked again as I felt everything else was amazing. I've even got my best friend talked in to going with us in concierge.

We sailed in this cabin in May. I am very prone to motion sickness and can't take most of the meds to help. I did have quite a bit of problems and it was more noticeable than our midship deck 8 room we had on our previous cruise. With that said, it was also a lot rougher seas as both the concierge stated that they noticed it and the captain announced it would be rough. Despite that our family had an amazing cruise and loved concierge. In fact we have that room booked again as I felt everything else was amazing. I've even got my best friend talked in to going with us in concierge.

You brought up a good point. With very rough seas, it won't really matter where your stateroom is located, you will feel it regardless. It does make for an interesting times walking in the hallways though. We have had times it felt like we were playing "human pinball".

Just take Bonine every night before bed (including the night before your cruise) and everything will be fine.

We always book forward rooms on upper decks because we feel less movement there than we do aft. I start taking Bonine the day before the cruise to make sure it is in my system and continue every day including three days after we get off the ship to avoid the land swaying. When we dine in the aft MDRs I start out dinner with a glass of ginger ale just to take the edge off, especially if we are leaving port that night. You should be able to get some in concierge.

I start taking Bonine the day before the cruise to make sure it is in my system and continue every day including three days after we get off the ship to avoid the land swaying. When we dine in the aft MDRs I start out dinner with a glass of ginger ale just to take the edge off, especially if we are leaving port that night. You should be able to get some in concierge.

We do the same thing with non drowsy dramamine(can't take Bonine because of allergy reasons) even though I still get the land swaying afterwards regardless - go figure.

Cans of ginger ale are available in concierge. They aren't set out with the other cans of soda so you will have to ask for it.

Another thing that will help is to eat green apples. On one of our Dream cruises, a guy at the table next to us wasn't feeling the best because of the ship's movement and his head server noticed. Pretty soon she came back with a plate of green apples along with a supply of motion sickness medicine. She did mention to him that he really needed to take it before the seasickness feeling started. He made mention to her the next night that the apples helped a lot and he ended up not needing the motion sickness meds. The green apple method was also used on one of our NCL cruises. We had very rough seas the first 48 hours and they put green apples out everywhere for the taking (along with the obvious little white bags). Once the seas calmed both were removed.

I get very motion sick in the car and that transfers to the ship as well. We always book rooms as low and midship as possible and that helps. If you know someone in your party has motion sickness, I wouldn't risk it on your first cruise. Better to go for a lower room and see how he does on the top decks and in the theaters. If you do book it and end up not feeling well, they have motion sickness meds available at concierge, the infirmary, and guest services. Hang out midship and watch the horizon until the meds kick in. Also, avoid the theater in rough seas. Something about watching the curtain sway back and forth...ugh...I can't even think about it. Oh, and look at the carpet when you're walking down the hall. Staring down the endless hall gets me every time! I purposely put a magnet on the bottom of our door so I know I've reached the right place because its too risky to look up from the floor!

Thank you for all your feedback and tips!

I guess it would be better for my husband to take motion sickness tablets etc prior to starting the cruise, regardless of which room we do book...

And we will all try the green apples as well, just in case!

We were in 12518 on the Fantasy in May and didn't have any issues. Deck 12 is a great location and you will love concierge. We sailed midship deck 8 last year and didn't notice any difference in motion between the two locations.

We stayed in 12508 and the first night was rough but more creaky than movement, but we heard this from others as well. No issues on other nights.

We cruised concierge last September. I took bonjne first couple of nights and felt fine so I made the mistake of stopping it thinking I didn't need it. I missed the last night because I was so sick. I will never stop taking it again.

We were in 12508 a couple weeks ago and felt no movement at all. We did feel a lot of vibration though. I kept joking with my boyfriend asking him if he put the 25 cents in to make the bed vibrate. Hahaha! We were on deck 5 aft in May and didn't feel any motion either. I commented several times how smooth the ship was. Both times we had beautiful weather though. Like a pp said, if you are having rough seas, you are going to feel it everywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter