• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

question about renting points

burlesonbryan

Earning My Ears
im new to the site. i was wondering if i rent the points do you buy the park tickets and dining plan with the people that i get the points from or do you go through disney. thank you

I believe the owner you rent from has to contact MS to add your dining plan. You can arrange for your own tickets. I'm sure advice will be forthcoming.

Tickets you can buy anywhere you want, in advance from Disney or a reseller, or at the resort or parks when you arrive.

Dining plans must be added by the member you rented from and must be paid for in full when adding the plan - you will have to work out with the member how to do that.

I would let the person you are renting from know right away that you want to add the dining plan. I suggest having a 3-way call with MS in order for you to charge the dining plan directly to your credit card. I agree with the other posters that you can purchase your park tickets another way--either at the park or through a ticket seller like Undercover Tourist.

I know that sometimes they offer free dinning plan, if they offer the free dinning plan afterwe make our reservations do we get our money back or not.

I know that sometimes they offer free dinning plan, if they offer the free dinning plan afterwe make our reservations do we get our money back or not.

Not on a DVC reservation, as the free dining offer does not apply to DVC reservations. It applies only to package reservations.

How can I go about finding someone to rent from? I am new to this site and didn't even know I could rent DVC's

once you are logged into the DIS, you should be able to see the rent/trade board in the DVC section.

first thing to be aware of is that DVC owners can book 11 months out at their home resort and many do...so availability 2-3 months out can definitely be spotty and some owners won't even bother responding to you for short notice requests since those requests are often a waste of time.

but if you are flexible and willing to consider larger resorts like SSR or OKW, there may still be availability. if you expect to book smaller resorts like BLT or BCV, you will probably be disappointed unless you start looking about a year in advance (although it is true that anything can happen - it's just more rare to find something 2-3 months out.)

also, it's getting a little dated but you should definitely scan through the [thread=1669863]Considering Renting from a DVC Member?[/thread] thread...

one thing that has changed from that thread is that renters can verify their reservation directly with disney now on this website:

http://mydisneyreservation.com/DVC

but you are dealing with an individual and not disney, so understand that you may not have any option to cancel the reservation and if disney offers "free dining" or "40% off" deals, that would not apply to you as a DVC renter.

also, DVC reservations are timeshare stays so you also do not get daily housekeeping...more like some form of housekeeping every 4 days.

edited to add: you can rent stays at DVC resorts directly from disney - and get daily housekeeping - but the costs would likely be higher than on a points stay.

When I have rented out my points, I have either paid for the Disney Dining option they chose and then the renter reimbursed me or we did a 3 way call to MS and then they gave MS their credit card info to pay for it. As for tickets there are numerous places to get discounted tickets as the only ticket that is discounted for DVC members is the annual pass I believe.

And if you suddenly get a PIN from Disney, you can only use that discount towards a reservation directly with Disney, not with a member.

Think of purchasing a reservation (called renting points) from a member like a Priceline reservation. You bought it, it's yours, no cancelling or changing the reservation. It's a final deal.

And if you suddenly get a PIN from Disney, you can only use that discount towards a reservation directly with Disney, not with a member.

Think of purchasing a reservation (called renting points) from a member like a Priceline reservation. You bought it, it's yours, no cancelling or changing the reservation. It's a final deal.

That is an interesting way of looking at a rental. Succinct and fairly accurate.

When I have rented out my points, I have either paid for the Disney Dining option they chose and then the renter reimbursed me or we did a 3 way call to MS and then they gave MS their credit card info to pay for it. As for tickets there are numerous places to get discounted tickets as the only ticket that is discounted for DVC members is the annual pass I believe.

And a DVC member cannot buy annual passes at a discount for renters (unless the renters are family). It's limited to the DVC owner and immediate family members who live at the same address.

Disney offers like free dining, kids stay free, buy 4 nights get 3 free, all require a full rate room reservation. DVC points are not full rate so any special offers do not apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter