Question about renting DVC points

dvowcz

Earning My Ears
If I would rent points for a family vacation and would have to reschedule due to family emergency (death in family) would I lose the money I paid for the points or are there ways to reschedule.

I am new to this and not sure how it all works.

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

It depends on the contract you have with the owner who rents you the reservation.

Those are the types of questions to ask when you begin contacting people to inquire.

You would not really be "renting" points - you would be renting a reservation from a DVC member. Terms of that rental are negotiable, including cancellation policies so you would want to be comfortable with all terms before entering into any agreement and sending any money.

Since DVC members are subject to certain limitations and restrictions regarding the use of their points, many will have limited ability to reuse points in the event of a cancellation and will need to apply restrictions in their rental agreements. Many will allow a refund as long as the renter re-uses the points for another reservation - whether for himself or by finding another renter.

The benefit of renting from a member is that you can save a lot of $$$ versus making the reservation directly thru Disney. The negative aspects of such rentals are that there is not as much flexibility as a reservation thru Disney so be sure the risks are within your comfort level before sending any funds.

Be sure to read all of the threads at the top of the DVC Rent/Trade Board - there is a lot of good information and suggestion there about how to proceed.

Good luck with your reservation! :)

Thanks so much for the quick response! I will be reading through the threads.

You ought to think of a rented reservation from a DVC member like a Priceline reservation. You made it, it's yours and you can't change it.

Most members won't make changes and won't offer cancellation policies.

The only thing I would add is a bit of advice: If you think there is any reasonable chance of a family emergency occurring, I would strongly recommend you book directly through Disney and pay whatever it costs. Disney has a wide range of accommodations, and there are many additional options offsite.

If you think you might have to cancel, book this vacation direct and save renting for another time when your plans are more concrete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter