Question about re-assigning points

DVCMomBLT

Mouseketeer
I currently have a trip booked in august using 2014 UY points (FEB). I have another trip booked in November using borrowed points from 2015. I called member services and wanted to "re-assign" the borrowed points from November and use them in August. They said I could not do that without cancelling and re-booking. I am not willing to do that since the November trip is over Thanksgiving and I would run a risk of not getting that reservation back. Was the CM correct, or should I call back and try another one?

I currently have a trip booked in august using 2014 UY points (FEB). I have another trip booked in November using borrowed points from 2015. I called member services and wanted to "re-assign" the borrowed points from November and use them in August. They said I could not do that without cancelling and re-booking. I am not willing to do that since the November trip is over Thanksgiving and I would run a risk of not getting that reservation back. Was the CM correct, or should I call back and try another one?

The CM is correct. Right now you have no points available for reallocating because they are tied up in a reservation. You need to free up the points by canceling in order to do a reassignment.

The CM is correct. Right now you have no points available for reallocating because they are tied up in a reservation. You need to free up the points by canceling in order to do a reassignment.

If it helps, I actually do have 2014 points available now. I had cancelled another reservation after a borrowed from 2015. Basically this:

20 pts borrowed from 2015
20 2014 pts available
Reservation in Nov using 20 borrowed pts
Reservation in Aug using 132 current (2014) pts

So, I want to use the 20 borrowed pts from Nov res in Aug, because I am not sure I will make the Nov trip.

Are all your points from the same contract, same resort and use year? If so, call again, you should be able to switch.

If it helps, I actually do have 2014 points available now. I had cancelled another reservation after a borrowed from 2015. Basically this:

20 pts borrowed from 2015
20 2014 pts available
Reservation in Nov using 20 borrowed pts
Reservation in Aug using 132 current (2014) pts

So, I want to use the 20 borrowed pts from Nov res in Aug, because I am not sure I will make the Nov trip.

If I am understanding you correctly, you could do this is 2 steps without canceling:
1) Reallocate 20 2014 to Nov. reservation to free up the 20 borrowed points.
2) Reallocate the newly freed 20 borrowed points to the Aug. reservation and free up 20 2014 points.

If the CM doesn't "get" this strategy ask for a supervisor. I think you might be better off to avoid calling on the weekend, but I may just be overly cautious. All of this assumes that you won't be skirting the 11 month window by swapping points.

If I am understanding you correctly, you could do this is 2 steps without canceling:
1) Reallocate 20 2014 to Nov. reservation to free up the 20 borrowed points.
2) Reallocate the newly freed 20 borrowed points to the Aug. reservation and free up 20 2014 points.

If the CM doesn't "get" this strategy ask for a supervisor. I think you might be better off to avoid calling on the weekend, but I may just be overly cautious. All of this assumes that you won't be skirting the 11 month window.

She said that when she tried to reallocate the 20 2014 points to Nov, it kept "rejecting" it because the system always chooses to use borrowed points first. Guess I will try again during the week.

And no, both of these reservations were made within the 7 month windows.

She said that when she tried to reallocate the 20 2014 points to Nov, it kept "rejecting" it because the system always chooses to use borrowed points first. Guess I will try again during the week.

And no, both of these reservations were made within the 7 month windows.

So you have 20 borrowed points in the Nov. reservation AND 20 additional borrowed points not in any reservation? So you want to reallocate a total of 40 borrowed points to the Aug. reservation?

So you have 20 borrowed points in the Nov. reservation AND 20 additional borrowed points not in any reservation? So you want to reallocate a total of 40 borrowed points to the Aug. reservation?

Sorry, no. I only borrowed a TOTAL of 20 points. They are all assigned to the Nov reservation. AFTER I borrowed the points, I cancelled a different reservation that freed up 20 current year points.

Sorry, no. I only borrowed a TOTAL of 20 points. They are all assigned to the Nov reservation. AFTER I borrowed the points, I cancelled a different reservation that freed up 20 current year points.

Okay. Well hopefully a supervisor can do an override for you. Good luck! Hope you will be able to post with good news.

Thanks! I'll let you know...

Are any of the nights you currently have booked in November still available? If so, you could try to book it with the 2014 points you currently have, and then call and have them cancel out a night from your original November trip that has the borrowed points...thus, freeing them up to reallocate into August.

Are any of the nights you currently have booked in November still available? If so, you could try to book it with the 2014 points you currently have, and then call and have them cancel out a night from your original November trip that has the borrowed points...thus, freeing them up to reallocate into August.

Thanks, unfortunately they are not. It is Thanksgiving week at BCV.

Oh, my! Be very careful canceling to free up points. Last summer we decided that a reservation that had been booked for a long time needed to be amended at thelast minute by adding an extra night ( military child, last minute travel plan changes.) I called MS and got a very (surprisingly) rude woman who did not much act like she wanted to help me. As I explained to her that we only wanted to add one night on the front end of the trip (and really didn't care where,) she said the only way we could do that was to move to okw from ssr- fewer points. She canceled ssr and went to book okw only to discover the 3rd of the 5 night stay was no longer available (in 30 seconds) and the roomwe hadcanceled at ssr was no longer available for days 1, 2, or 3. All of a sudden, this trip that had been planned for months had rooms for days 1 and 2, days 4 and 5, and nothing for day 3, unless we were willing to pay hundreds of dollars.

I threw a minor hissy fit, talked to at least two supervisors, filed a complaint against the original cm (mine was not the first complaint but apparently the last. ..) and everything was okay. We ended up in three different resorts, but they did find us a room with points. Our dining plan was a nightmare because we had to cancel the one and re book three, and then they ended up being blocked between resorts (that each resort had to individually unblock,) but we had rooms.

Anyhow, don't cancel what you really want just to make changes. Borrow, buy extra points something, but in a busy time, there is no guarantee it will be available 30 seconds after you let it go.

Oh, my! Be very careful canceling to free up points. Last summer we decided that a reservation that had been booked for a long time needed to be amended at thelast minute by adding an extra night ( military child, last minute travel plan changes.) I called MS and got a very (surprisingly) rude woman who did not much act like she wanted to help me. As I explained to her that we only wanted to add one night on the front end of the trip (and really didn't care where,) she said the only way we could do that was to move to okw from ssr- fewer points. She canceled ssr and went to book okw only to discover the 3rd of the 5 night stay was no longer available (in 30 seconds) and the roomwe hadcanceled at ssr was no longer available for days 1, 2, or 3. All of a sudden, this trip that had been planned for months had rooms for days 1 and 2, days 4 and 5, and nothing for day 3, unless we were willing to pay hundreds of dollars.

I threw a minor hissy fit, talked to at least two supervisors, filed a complaint against the original cm (mine was not the first complaint but apparently the last. ..) and everything was okay. We ended up in three different resorts, but they did find us a room with points. Our dining plan was a nightmare because we had to cancel the one and re book three, and then they ended up being blocked between resorts (that each resort had to individually unblock,) but we had rooms.

Anyhow, don't cancel what you really want just to make changes. Borrow, buy extra points something, but in a busy time, there is no guarantee it will be available 30 seconds after you let it go.

Yikes, that does not sound fun. I'm not willing to cancel anything without having it double booked ahead of time.

So I understand, the reason you want to reallocate the points is in hopes of restoring the borrowed points to the original (+1) Use Year?

I am not sure it is possible to return borrowed points to the original use year, once you booking borrows the points. There are other threads out that state borrowed points freed by cancelation must be used during the current UY and cannot be sent back... You might be able to bank the 20 points, but that would be equivalent to banking the current UY points.

Not 100% sure on this, but it is what I have understood from a weeks worth of reading message boards... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter