Question about minor head injury.

Liberty Belle

<font color=green>I was going to reply, but I see
Ok, I've been a mom for fifteen years and I should know this, but I'm a little paranoid after the Natasha Richardson thing.

My fifteen year old hit his head hard on a heavy chandelier. It didn't bleed, but he has a pretty big knot on his head and his head hurts. It happened about 30 minutes ago.

His pupils look and act normal and his vision is fine. No need for medical care, right?

Something similar happened to my son a couple of years ago. A friend who is a doctor said that as long as his pupils were the same size and reacted to light from a flashlight (smaller with light in eyes, larger when light taken away), that there was no need for an ER visit. Lots of ice packs, and Tylenol for the pain. She also said that if he couldn't handle the ice pack (and he hates them!) that direct pressure to the injury will also help with swelling.

Hope this helps, and hope he feels better soon!

I've always been told that as long as the knot comes out instead of going in, it's probably okay.

That said, I worry about head injuries and would probably take him to the doctor myself.

ETA: I know how you feel. My daughter was actually kicked in the forehead (by the only horse in the barn wearing shoes at the time, wouldn't you know ;)). It was a fluke, this horse is the calmest horse we've ever owned, but he got caught in something and spooked.

She got a glancing blow to her forehead and her hip. The knot was big and was very bruised (no broken skin). She had a headache too. Pupils were fine. They checked her out thoroughly and said she had a concussion and sent her home (told us to keep an eye on her).

the weekend after Natasha Richardson died, my ds16 ran into the house - literally - and DH and I were paranoid for the rest of the day. (don't ask how it happened, we still don't know!) We had him ice his head, sit and relax for a bit and checked his pupils, which looked fine, but he did have a slight headache for a while. Thank goodness he was fine. I was very tempted to take him to the ER though.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. I think his head must be feeling better now because he's sitting still watching tv and not pacing around the house with his hand on his head!

Just checked - it doesn't hurt nearly as bad. He didn't even want to take a Tylenol.

If it were my child, I'd make a call to his doctor (or whoever is on call for him), explain the situation and see what they suggest. I tend to err on the side of caution.

I left a message with the agency just to be safe. Thank you all for your advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter