question about "length of stay" wheelchair rental

wdwpracticalprincess

Mouseketeer
My mom will need to rent a wheelchair for our visit in October. Wondering if anyone has used the "length of stay" rental at the parks and does it have to be used on consecutive days?

For example, my mom will be coming with us to AK, then off two days, then two days in a row at EP and MK.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be used on consecutive days. Just buy the number of days you need.

Thanks Rusty! My mom can walk about 2 miles-sometimes a little more (slowly) with a cane no problem. She just can't do the 8-10 miles in the parks. We were thinking she'd only need it in the parks, but am I missing something critical? Thinking of real-world usage as opposed to Disney usage.

Thanks for your input!

I'll chime in--rent the chair from off site company! I had great success using Walker Mobility. It is difficult to overstate the amount of walking--just from the resort room (or parking lot) to the park turnstiles, to the park icon can easily exceed a mile--and you haven't even gotten started yet!

I fought tooth and toenail renting a chair two years ago post-op. Boy! Am I ever glad I did!!!

I rented a chair from walker Mobility--nothing but good things to say about their rates and SERVICE.

She would push me to the food court then onto the bus then into the the park of our choice that day. We would park the chair, collapsed, either in obvious stroller/ECV parking or find an unobtrusive place (usually behind a trash can) and I would walk for a few hours. We tied a bright bandana to the hand grips.

This system worked PERFECTLY!!! On the buses I would transfer to a seat and we would collapse the chair. Boarding was quick and efficient. When departing, if I was not too tired, I would step off at the back door and Cathy would hoist the chair. Or I would walk down the ramp. If I was too tired and creaky, we would use the ramp. Going up/down the steep front steps would have been hard for me.

I am not overweight and unless you see my really nifty scar, I don't look like I should be using a chair. I got NO nasty looks from anyone, anywhere.

If you are even considering doing this, I cannot emphasize how easy and trouble free it was! And when in doubt RENT THE CHAIR!!! I could not have endured the parks w/o it.

I would agree with others about renting from an off-site source.

We went with my mother last December and after a day and a half in the parks she realized that she needed a chair. She thought she'd have the stamina to do the required walking, but towards the end of day 2 she was in so much pain she could barely move.

We did a duration of stay rental for the remaining days, but that only allows use in the parks. Each day we returned the chair, each morning had to get a new one. This took time and, in addition, there were often a lack of courtesy chairs to get her from the parks to the buses back to our resort, not to mention she didn't have use from the resort bus stop to room (which would have been nice on those very tiring days).

We didn't look into renting off-site once we were at Disney as we were there during peak times and it just seemed easier to rent there.

Thank you all for your advice. Off-site rental looks to be about $45-50 for 3-day rental, while "length of stay" rental at the parks is $10/day. I thought off-site rental was supposed to be less expensive. Looked at Apple and Walker Mobility. My mom will definitely need a chair at the parks, but not sure she'll need elsewhere. Plus, she's only doing 3 days and probably not full days. DH, DD8, and I are doing 6 full days, plus RD. By then end, we'll all need wheelchairs! ;)

@wdwpracticalprincess - you are right - offsite rentals *are* typically cheaper - for ECVs.

I assume that she is not comfortable using an ECV? An ECV can be an excellent option if she is able to safely drive one. Even if she can't drive it up the bus ramp herself (and a family member has to do it for her, the bus drivers can not) an ECV might be something to consider; you have time for her to get used to the idea, and practice with the ones available at most grocery stores, Wal-Marts, Targets, etc. If she can master one of those big beasties, a little rental scooter will be very easy for her to use!

But if, for whatever reason, an ECV is not an option, please remember - if you all (as a family) decide to go to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, or maybe over to Boardwalk to shop and look around, or maybe Hoop-Dee-Doo... you will be glad you have the chair for her! Not everything at WDW that requires a lot of walking is "park specific".

Even at some of the larger resorts, it may be helpful just to go back and forth to the food court; depending on where your rooms are, it can be quite a hike to meals and bus stops!

So, when you look at your trip as a whole - not just "park days" for her - see if it is possible that the wheelchair will be helpful during other activities and events. That may help put the overall cost into perspective.

Also - you may want to consider renting locally (before you leave home) and bring the chair with you. Not only is it possibly cheaper - but especially if you are flying - there can be LOTS of walking at airports; it may be helpful there as well.

Would a rollator be a better choice for her? Rollators are like walkers that have a seat; most can be folded for easy transport, and some can function as a "travel chair" where someone else pushes the seated individual. Something like this.

Either way, be sure to bring bike gloves for the "pusher" to wear.
I can tell you from personal experience that it does not take long before your hands will be sore, and even blistered from pushing the chair. The bike gloves make a *huge* difference.

Last thing to consider - some churches, civic groups, etc. have wheelchairs that you can borrow for short periods of time, rather than rent. For example, our local Masonic Lodge has a couple of wheelchairs and several pairs crutches in different sizes, and I think a walker they loan out to local residents for short periods. Our church also has similar equipment to loan as well; might be an avenue to explore. Just make sure that the borrowed equipment is in safe, clean, working condition prior to leaving on your trip.

Wishing you and your family all the Magic you can find on your trip! :)

My mom actually mentioned using an ECV for this trip, but we're staying off-site and worried about disassembling/assembling it and it fitting into our rental car. Any thoughts on this?

Also worried about it running out of charge...or her running over somebody!

I have used a scooter on 3 different trips. First from Walker, which was great, but then from Buena Vista was was great too. We stay onsite and Walker isn't approved to leave equipment at resorts since the change in policy a few years ago. But, I never came close to running out of power.

I have to ask....There are length of stay chairs at the park? Is is just manual chairs? Do you have to call to reserve or can you do it online?

length of stay chairs at the park?

Yes...the length-of-stay wheelchairs are at the parks and available for $10/day. They are manual chairs and it's first-come, first-serve - no reservations. We'd do ECV if we were staying on-site, but the the assembling/disassembling/getting it into and out of the car is really worrisome to me.

Additional thoughts on this? Thanks!!!

Yes...the length-of-stay wheelchairs are at the parks and available for $10/day. They are manual chairs and it's first-come, first-serve - no reservations. We'd do ECV if we were staying on-site, but the the assembling/disassembling/getting it into and out of the car is really worrisome to me.

Additional thoughts on this? Thanks!!!

My personal scooter is a TravelScoot. You can see what it looks like here. I own the "Deluxe" model (but an older version that uses a belt driven motor, not the new version that has a direct-drive motor.) There is video on the manufacturer's website that shows how easy it is to fold, unfold, etc. We can easily carry mine around in our Kia Soul. When completely folded down, the TravelScoot fits into a space that is about the size of a golf bag, and will fit in the majority of vehicles quite easily. Depending on the vehicle you have, you may not have to fold it down completely.

This company rents TravelScoots in the US. DISCLAIMER: I have no personal experience with this company, other than I found them when searching to purchase my own personal scooter. They will apparently ship it to you - either at home, or when you arrive at the hotel. When you are done, you ship it back to them.

There are other models that are easy to fold, and fairly lightweight; I went with the TravelScoot because at 35 pounds *TOTAL* (battery included) it was the lightest, easiest, best option for me. Honestly, I have zero experience with any of the other scooters that are out there, so I can't really offer any real-world experience for anything other than what I own.

One last thought for today: Be sure to have your Mom get a Handicapped Parking Permit before the trip, since you will be driving to the parks. :) She should have plenty of time; in most states your doctor fills out a form that states you can't walk very far. You (or the doctor's office) submit it to the state agency responsible for supplying the Permit (typically the DMV or similar agency) and they will send out the Permit. Our state takes about 3 to 4 weeks total, and a "permanent" Permit is good for 5 years.

Love the TravelScoot design, but afraid the rental is cost prohibitive for us.

Thanks for the handicap placard reminder. My mom already has one and never travels without it!

We were able to use a resort wheelchair our five day stay. Day one arrival found out the walker was damaged by airline. The resort desk took us to the baggage area and lent us the wheel chair. We returned it the night before we left.
A thought, there is more independence if they can use a scooter, ECV and when we rented it came with a collapsible canopy that was in a back pack. It was a battle the first time I rented it with "I'm not using it" to "I couldn't do the trip without it." The shade was great from the flexable pop up screen, to the wear and tear on us for pushing on hills and ramps.

Love the TravelScoot design, but afraid the rental is cost prohibitive for us . .

1) Many rental companies in the Orlando area rent scooters from $55-$65 for 3-days, and abut $15/day afterward.
2) Hope this would fit the budget.
3) and, as mentioned above, the disassembly for trunk stowage is really not that hard or bothersome.

We rented from Scooter Vacations. dot com, the scooter was light, we lifted the seat off, and lower the handle. I got the shade cover which is collapsible with it. They drop offsite too and make sure you know how to operate and break it down. Remember to review where the charger cord is and how to plug it in, and how to put up the shade and lower it. It pop's out of the backpack and with thin tie downs goes over the handle bars in seconds. To collapse I just took it in my hands and it twist into itself flat. The shade was well worth it. I think maybe $20 more.
But there was a coupon on the internet for a free day and the cost was the least expensive I ever had paid.

My BFF had never been on one before and by the time we got out of the parking lot to the park she was very comfortable. She was more comfortable going on the Ferry then the monorail as you have to back out on the monorail onto a ramp.
Oh, there is a light for at night and learn where the horn is.
The most valuable piece of advise I shared with BFF, if you are concerned or alarmed, Just HANDS UP. take them off the control, the power and steering will auto stop.

From there you can evaluate where you want to go, if someone is in the way or just wait for crowds to go by.

I agree about the hands on pushing the wheel chair, I had another in a wheel chair and it was terrible by the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter