Question about Kinder Eggs??

KnightRail

Mouseketeer
So I'm getting excited for my Alaska cruise this summer and got even more excited when I found I can purchase Kinder Eggs in Vancouver. I'm from the US and I know they are banned here and carry a fine if found and whatnot. My question, is it legal to bring just the toy inside back to the US? like I eat the chocolate and want to keep the prize? Or would I need to pitch whatever you I get before coming back home (and I guess on the boat too since it is Alaska)
Thanks for your help!
**also, any good Asian/oriental grocery stores (like Daiso) neat the Fairmont Waterfront??

That's a good question. I can't find anything online. I would think any part of it would be banned even if transported separately. Honestly all the toys we get in kinder eggs end up in the garbage. From little tiny puzzles to plastic cars that fall apart, the toy is pretty crappy. The chocolate is good though.

I thought it was banned because it was non-food product in food (although here in Australia it's all in a plastic bag, so I can't see how you would eat it). If that's the reason it's banned then how would they know where the toy came from? It could be any one of a number of toys bought from a dollar store or similar.

There are two reasons why these delicious treats are illegal in the U.S. One reason is the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) claims that the toys are a choking hazard for small children. All of the toys are relatively small, and some contain even tinier pieces that need to be put together. Kinder Eggs have a warning on the package, in several languages, that they are only suitable for ages three and up, which should be enough to un-ban them.

Aside from children potentially choking on the toys, the real reason Kinder Eggs are banned is the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938. This Act prohibits the embedding of non-food items completely enclosed inside food items, unless the non-edible part has a functioning value. For example a lollipop or popsicle stick is not edible but is a useful handle. This Act was originally put into place to prevent the addition of hazardous items to processed food and has never been changed.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-kinder-eggs-banned-us-can-545918.html?cat=22

I believe that they are now legal in the US. I read something about making them a few months back. Saying that I still have not seen them anywhere.

I believe that they are now legal in the US. I read something about making them a few months back. Saying that I still have not seen them anywhere.

In an effort to save thousands of candy mules from having to regularly stuff chocolate eggs up their rectum, a New Jersey-based company has come up with an ingenious way of making Kinder eggs entirely legal.

Choco Treasure eggs will be hitting shelves across the country just in time for Easter.

Fans of the original product have plenty to gripe about: The toys are rather mediocre and the chocolate is a fry cry from Ferrero's world-class white-on-black goodness, but it's a start.

Choco Treasures are different. First off, each of the three different editions of Choco Treasure has its own collection of all ages toys, from the original chocolate eggs to sports balls to even a Spider-man-inspired egg, licensed from Marvel. Second, each egg features a specially-designed capsule that separates the two halves of the chocolate so even a small child can see the there's something on the inside.

http://gawker.com/5990806/us-ban-on-kinder-surprise-eggs-finally-lifted-kinda

1zc2100.jpg

They are mot legal. Somebody in NJ made a facsimile, but it is not the same product name or design. The ban on Kinder Surprise Eggs is still in effect.

So I'm getting excited for my Alaska cruise this summer and got even more excited when I found I can purchase Kinder Eggs in Vancouver. I'm from the US and I know they are banned here and carry a fine if found and whatnot. My question, is it legal to bring just the toy inside back to the US? like I eat the chocolate and want to keep the prize? Or would I need to pitch whatever you I get before coming back home (and I guess on the boat too since it is Alaska)
Thanks for your help!
**also, any good Asian/oriental grocery stores (like Daiso) neat the Fairmont Waterfront??

As long as you clean the chocolate from the toy, you should be okay. That's what we did when my daughter got an egg in Vancouver.

If you take the SkyTrain to Richmond, there are TONS of Asian Grocery Stores there.

As long as you clean the chocolate from the toy, you should be okay. That's what we did when my daughter got an egg in Vancouver.

If you take the SkyTrain to Richmond, there are TONS of Asian Grocery Stores there.

the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) claims that the toys are a choking hazard for small children. All of the toys are relatively small, and some contain even tinier pieces that need to be put together. Kinder Eggs have a warning on the package, in several languages, that they are only suitable for ages three and up
http://voices.yahoo.com/why-kinder-eggs-banned-us-can-545918.html?cat=22

Thanks for your help!

OMG really?!!!!

Ok - I see why now - and yeah, they probably would be a choking hazard. But everyone eats them here, including my brother who has a huge kinder toy collection. He's a lawyer ;)

Kinder also makes bars now -- same chocolate. I'm sure you could take that home (or maybe not, always check customs before you pack). And the toy is just a toy after the chocolate is gone. When we go to the US, they never ask us to declare our toys at immigration so I think you'll be ok.

Thanks for your help!

Hi All, I live in Surrey (which is a suburb of Vancouver). You can find Kinder Eggs for girls (they're the pink wrapped ones) at Walmart checkouts. They usually have Disney princesses in them. At dollar stores you can find a different brand of the Kinder Eggs and they too have Disney figures.

As far as finding an Asian Market, you can find one just about anywhere you go as we are a very diverse area (Metro Vancouver). However, if you really want to experience an Asian/Chinese supermarket you can look at the T&T Supermarket website to find the nearest one from where you're staying, at :

tnt-supermarket dot com (not able to post links yet) and find the English tab.

There is a Daiso store in Richmond but it is a huge dollar store. If you really want to experience the Asian culture (Chinese) check out Chinatown. Google "Chinatown Vancouver" for more information. We also have a big South Asian (India) culture in Metro Vancouver.

KnightRail said:
Thanks for your help!

I so love kinder eggs and the surprise toys. Had them when I was stationed in Germany.

I've brought kinder eggs home in my carry on bag several times. Every time I fly through Germany I grab some for my kids. I honestly never knew they were illegal in the US and no one ever said anything to me about them being in my bag.. Or never even checked for that matter. And it was never declared on my customs form since it wasn't a produce or meat product. I just figured it was a snack I bought at the Airport.. Lol

I've brought kinder eggs home in my carry on bag several times. Every time I fly through Germany I grab some for my kids. I honestly never knew they were illegal in the US and no one ever said anything to me about them being in my bag.. Or never even checked for that matter. And it was never declared on my customs form since it wasn't a produce or meat product. I just figured it was a snack I bought at the Airport.. Lol

We take kinder eggs to the US too for our friends (from UK). The nicest ones are from the kinder range are the Hippos though ... Nom nom!

There shouldn't be any chocolate on the actual toy, unless a child is eating the chocolate and playing with it at the same time.

The toy is inside a small container which is then placed inside the chocolate egg and wrapped in foil.

Kinder eggs are definitely not legal in the US. Google it and you will find that some people were stopped at the border. We bought them in Vancouver and made sure we ate the chocolate there so there wouldn't be a problem Yes, you could probably bring some in and not get caught, but do you want to take that chance????

If you are just bringing back the toy, you are AOK. They are banned because they are afraid American kids will eat the whole egg, toy and all, and choke to death on the toy. They are not afraid the kids will eat just the exposed toy.

In an effort to save thousands of candy mules from having to regularly stuff chocolate eggs up their rectum, a New Jersey-based company has come up with an ingenious way of making Kinder eggs entirely legal.

OMG! I almost spit out my water reading this. I actually LOL. :rotfl2:

I have brought back kinder eggs many times from France, in my luggage and carry on and have never been stopped. I never realized they were not legal in the US

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter