Question about how to treat a new dive mask?

umich cruiser

Earning My Ears
Some time ago there was a reply to a snorkle question, that said if you buy your own mask, you should clean or treat the glass with something before you use it. I can't find the thread and I don't remember what I was to use on my mask. They said the masks are coated with something in stores and if you don't treat it, they will fog when you use them. Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? Help please, what should I treat my new mask with?

either toothpaste or soft scrub. They both contain a light mild abrasive that will help lift off the film. Once you get it cleaned at home with either toothpaste or soft scrub then when you get to the dive site or the snorkel site you can use either good old fashioned spit or a no fog dive gel. Some people swear by the spit but we havent had great luck with it. The silicone masks now days fog up much easier than those big black dive masks from ages past. Also one application of the better dive no fog gel should keep your mask fog free for up to 3 days of diving if you dive and should keep it clean enough if you only snorkel on a cruise type vacation for the whole time. Gel type defoggers are harder to squirt out of the bottle but they seem to work better and for longer periods of time. If you do use the gel type defogger make sure you soak your mask between so that the gel doesnt crust up on the inside of your mask. Two of the best dive gel de-foggers hubby and I have found through dives are either

1. Divers Best! Mask Defogger. It is about $6.00 an ounce and it is thick and really hard to get out. Sometimes you have to step on the bottle to get it to come out but it lasts a long time and is really good at keeping the mask fog free.

2. 500 psi Mask Defog. It is about 3.50 per ounce and looks kind of like Blue Goo Hand Cleaner. It is pretty slow flowing gel but works pretty good as well.

There are a few others we have tried that are ok but there are 2 we have tried that stunk! They stung your eyes when we dove and they didnt keep the lense fog free for longer than about 20 min. They were cheaper but not worth it in the long run they are

1. Oceanways Diving Mask Defogger
2. Sea Drops.

Spit didnt seem to work well for us either!
Hope this helps!
Heidi

Toothpaste, I knew it was something out of the norm! Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I wanted. This board is terrific to get answers.

You are very welcome! Have a great time on your vacation!
I am green with envy as I have over 300 days left to go til we cruise again! LOL

Heidi

An old divers trick that works but sounds silly and may not
be practical everywhere you dive , is to cut a potato in half and
rub it on the inside of your mask. Works like a charm as long as you dont let water into the mask. Otherwise I would opt for the spit idea. It's always pretty handy.

balbrec:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter