Question about GTY offerings

ranidayz

DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian
Here's my confusion:

If a cruise is before it's PIF date and they start offering only GTY, does that mean there will only be GTY offerings up until the cruise? Will there never be a chance to either pick your stateroom if you've not booked yet or change your stateroom if you are - while knowing which stateroom you'll get?

I hope that made sense. It's early here and I'm not quite awake...:coffee:

Yes, there will be both specific categories as well as GTY rooms, plus perhaps some *GT rates.

Any thoughts to how/when the determination is made?

Nothing to bank on. This is entirely up to DCL and their estimation of what is still available on board at any particular time. Best suggestion is to check every day.

GTY are generally given prior to PIF when a category is almost sold out. Right before PIF, many reservations get cancelled or moved and hence some cabins are freed up. If this is the case, then you might be able to pick up an actual cabin. The selection will still be low.

Remember there is no price difference between picking up the cabin vs GTY. You could move up to another category for a low difference (within the same stateroom type) and pick the stateroom number.

Finally, staterooms can be reassigned by DCL even if you picked one. They will honor DO NOT MOVE requests, but still have the right to move you. They will always move you to another stateroom in the same category or better however.

*GT rates are another story...

Do they ever offer rooms to select AFTER PIF? For anyone who has switched to GRY, have you generally been happy?

We have done the GTY and picked our room assignmet. One cruise where we had picked the room we were upgraded to a Veranda from an ocean view. pixiedust: That was great. When we had a GTY we received a Cat 5 after getting a GTY for a CAT 6. We have also had 3 cruises where we picked our room and got it. So you can never tell.

GTY is offered once a certain percentage of staterooms IN THAT CATEGORY are booked. Say there are 10 staterooms in Cat. 9A; maybe after 8 are booked it will list as GTY instead of allowing future reservations to select a specific stateroom. If selecting a stateroom is important, you may still be able to do a reservation for a similar category (9B or 8D) allowing you to select stateroom. GTY is generally not considered to be a discounted rate.

*GT rates appear after PIF and up to DCL as to exactly when -- sometimes immediately after PIF and sometimes much closer to sail date, or anywhere in between. They also may appear and disappear quickly, and multiple times. *GTs are discounted rates with restrictions.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are currently GTY for a European cruise in June. I realize that we have a long way to go before I should be getting nervous, but since we are flying to Barcelona from the US, my nerves are getting an early start. Has anyone heard of anyone getting a lower cabin than their GTY? Or, heaven forbid, not getting ANY cabin? :scared1: Thanks!

We are currently GTY for a European cruise in June. I realize that we have a long way to go before I should be getting nervous, but since we are flying to Barcelona from the US, my nerves are getting an early start. Has anyone heard of anyone getting a lower cabin than their GTY? Or, heaven forbid, not getting ANY cabin? :scared1: Thanks!

No and No!

Rest easy, you could actually wait up to sailing date to get a room assignment. Don't sweat it! Enjoy the cruise.

We also are GTY for a Med cruise in June, and yup, would hate to waste that excessively expensive air fare. Not getting a cabin, however, is not something I am worried about at all, although I'm sure trip insurance would cover that scenario.

I think I have even scrolled back to last spring on the GTY cabins assigned thread and found some for the Med cruises that were assigned at the normal 50-55 days out. So we are expecting to find out in mid-to-late April. I think I did that scrolling because the OBB CM told me our cabin number would be assigned at the PIF date. I figured he was wrong especially since our PIF was at 120 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter