Question about GF for disneymoon

MissKris721

Mouseketeer
Hi gang! Hope everyone on the east coast is staying cool in this wicked heat wave! I have a question that I would really like some suggestions and opinions on. I am disneymooning in June 2007 and am staying at the GF. My FH and I are going into the planning the honeymoon with the attitude of "this is our honeymoon and we will probably never have another extravagent vacation ever" and so that is why we are (already) splurging on the GF and getting the disney premium dining package (when it comes out for 2007). I keep hearing on the boards about the "consierge level/room" and am wondering if my FH and I should upgrade (right now we are in Lagoon view room)? Is it worth it? Or is that going a little overboard on the splurging? Please, help!

We have not yet stayed in the main building (RPC), but based on all I've read and seen in pictures, it looks like a great way to do it! In your case, I think I might just get a normal package and stay on the concierge level, and then pay cash on whatever meals you eat. The fact that there are continental breakfast type items and appetizers in the evening on the concierge level may mean that you do not need all the meals that come with that premium package. Doesn't it include 3 full sit down meals and a snack everyday? I don't think I could pull that off without concierge access! Anyway, that's my advice. Upgrade to the main building and spend that money on the added service of concierge, rather than the premium meal package.

I would upgrade to concierge and drop the premium dining plan and think about getting the regular DDP. Concierge lounge would suffice for breakfast, counter service lunch, which will save you time anyhow, and snacks both on your plan and in the lounge, and a sit down dinner every night. Plus evening snacks in concierge- still way more food than I think anyone can eat. While I think the platinum plan or whatever it's called is nice, I could see where you would find yourself just hopping from meal to meal to meal. That's the reason DH and I dropped it for our honeymoon- that is way too much food when it's hot out, and we wanted to be able to see the parks more. We still tried to cram too much in to our honeymoon though. Relax and have a great time! :)

I would probably book the concierge room. Let them know it is your honeymoon, and you might get some special treatment. You don't need the concierge as long as you are willing to do some legwork before your trip. You would need to call Disney Dining early to book your restaurant reservations. Otherwise, you'll have a great dining plan, but be eating at places that were not your first choice. The concierge can also book other special events (a specialty cruise, la Nouba, dinner shows), and recreation. You don't book concierge for the food, but it is nice to know that you will have it. Also, you get free beer and wine at night, so that might mean somehthing to you. It is going to cost a good bit more...maybe more than $100/night for Lodge Concierge, and $150/night for the Main Building Concierge. That being said, I always book concierge when it is available. The concierge is more about the level of service than anything else. For some, it is not worth it; for others it is a must each trip. The Grand Floidian has two locations for Concierge. The Royal Palm Concierge is in the main building, and it is the most expensive. It has a formal lounge and is located on the exclusive 3rd, 4th and 5th floors of the main building. Rooms here are very convenient to the restaurants and shops of the resort. Also, the monorail and bus top is directly connected to the main building. Most of the views are nice, but not outstanding. The best views and rooms are the Honeymoon Turret rooms, but expect to pay at least $700/night for those. The second level of concierge service is the Sugar Loaf Lodge Concierge. This used to be a "concierge lite" experience without the alcohol, but it now includes the same food and drink offerings as the main building. The lodge and lounge are exclusive, requiring a room key to access. The views here are of the pool or marina. You cannot see the MK or castle from these rooms. The lounge is located in the center lobby of the building, and it does lack in size for the number of rooms in the Lodge. Still, it isn't too crowded and you can usually find a table and chair to sit at. The lodge is very convenient to the main building, Gasparilla Grill & Games, The Grand Floridian Cafe, the quiet pool (really the main pool based on the number of people in each of the two pools), Narcoossee's and the Boat Dock.

For your honeymoon, go for it. Spend a little bit extra and feel really pampered. Just don't put yourself in debt to to the upgrade!

I stayed at the GF for my honeymoon and it was fabulous! It was my first time and we just stayed in a lagoon view room and that was amazing enough for us. If you have the money and want to upgrade to concierge then do that but I agree with the others about the dining if you really want to stay in the main building. It is all about your preference.

Have A Magical Day!

Maureen

I agree with everyone else. go conceirge and eat breakfast at the GF, then use the reg. dining plan for the other meals. the premium plan is sssooooo much food! good luck and have fun. i am disneymooning at the GF RPC in January!

We stayed at the GF RPC for our honeymoon, and have continued to almost 6 years later. I agree with the other posters, I would drop the package and go RPC. IMHO, I never use the DP. This is just my opinion based on 2 adults going for a great time. We usually have breakfast in the RPC (unused credits if using DDP). Depending on where we are we like to sit and have a nice lunch at a TS, we have a cheeseburger at a CS maybe once. Dinners we like to go all out...Citrico's, V&A's, Cali Grill etc...The DDP does not work for us.

As far as rooms go, the Turret rooms are very beautiful, but there are only 6 of these type of rooms and out of these 6 there are only 3 that face the rear of the resort, of those 3 there is only 1 room that has that magnificent view. The other 3 Turret rooms face the front and while the rooms are indeed the same, the view is of the monorail station. I just don't want you to be disappointed if you don't get a turret room with a MK view. The same goes for all MK views in the main building. There are not many of them (besides suites). The "views" in the main building are request, but not guaranteed. I just don't want to you be disappointed if you don't get a MK view.

When making your reservation, and if you go RPC make sure you let the IPO know it is your honeymoon. You never know what pixie dust may come your way. Again, nothing is ever guaranteed .... it never hurts to add special notes to your reservation. We have been to the GF many many times since our honeymoon...most times we get dusted, but sometimes we don't. It's nice to get it, but you can't count on it, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Either way it's all good :sunny:

If I were you, I would book the GF RPC. You could book a honeymoon room & request one of the 2nd floor ones on the private floor. I believe this floor is honeymooners only, so is quieter, and I know that these honeymoon rooms have jacuzzi tubs.

About the dining plan, I would not go with the regular plan if you want to really go all out and eat at the signature restaurants.

As far as whether it's worth it or not to keep the premium plan, we did this for our honeymoon. It was worth it for us, because we did the extra activities that would have cost more out of pocket, like parasailing. If you are planning on doing all of the extra activities, then the premium plan can save you money. If you are only doing it for the dining, and maybe 1 or 2 extras, you will probably save money by cancelling the platinum package and doing it all out of pocket.
Cheers!
Heather W

hmp2z said:
If I were you, I would book the GF RPC. You could book a honeymoon room & request one of the 2nd floor ones on the private floor. I believe this floor is honeymooners only, so is quieter, and I know that these honeymoon rooms have jacuzzi tubs.Heather W

Not all have jacuzzi tubs - go figure! The jacuzzi tubs are nothing to get excited about either they are regular sized tubs with jets in them. Definately not big enough for 2 - LOL! We have stayed in that section many times.

Also if I recall those rooms have not been renovated. We just stayed in that section this past Dec. While we did have a perfect MK view, the room (s) in that section are getting a bit shabby. They are just reglular rooms with a king bed. I really don't know why thye call it Honeymoon rooms, except for the fact it is down the "quiet" section...big deal! Also it is a pain in the butt to get to as that section was added on and it is another elevator to get to this section (I believe it is the service elevator). If you take the elevator all the way down you come out by Gasparillas (or Gas House Gorillas as I call it). If you are going back to your room from the MK boat, it is faster to get to your room, but when going to the CL or the monorail, it is a long haul (2 elevators). Also I have found that section to get a bit noisy due to the service elevator. Lots of carts and room service always going by outside...a lot of hustle and bustle.

You are actually better off staying in Sugar Loaf than that section for the money you are spending to be in the "main building".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter