Question about getting on rides

THREEBOYSPLUSONE

Earning My Ears
I have a disability that has left my right leg not working very good. I have trouble walking for which I have rented a scooter from off site. I also have trouble bending my knee and stepping up. I know rides like splash and space mountain I will not be able to do because if I manage to get in them probably wouldn't be able to get out of them. I have researched and looked at all the pictures I can find and there is a couple of rides I am not sure if I will be able to get into( it doesn't help that I am pooh sized). If I wait in lines with my family and then find I can't get in the ride will that be a problem? I don't want the cm to make me feel like a fool, How many rides have a test vehicle? The last time we were at WDW was 11 years ago and I wasn't disabled then so I didn't really pay attention to things like that. This is our 12 year old son's first trip and I want to be able to enjoy it with him.

After my knee replacement I worried a lot about getting off/on rides but found that I was able to use my arms to raise and lower myself without that much problem. On Splash Mtn and Space Mtn I was able to use the sides of the ride vehicle to hold to and make it easier. I worried about taking too long to get off of rides but never felt rushed. I think the cms will be understanding so I would not worry about that.

I have mentioned this several times but the one ride that was very difficult was getting into the car at Test Track. There is a steep step down into car that I wan't expecting and I really hurt my artificial knee. I have read since that you can ask for assisted boarding but I was not aware of that. Just make sure you are prepared.

A test vehicle, of which there are only a few, probably wouldn't help. It likely wouldn't be at the same level as the actual attraction.
No, the CMs won't make you feel uncomfortable if you opt not to ride for whatever reason.

I have read since that you can ask for assisted boarding but I was not aware of that. Just make sure you are prepared.
CMs are not permitted to assist people getting on or off rides. If you need physical assistance, someone in your party must be able to help.

CMs are not permitted to assist people getting on or off rides. If you need physical assistance, someone in your party must be able to help.
I wasn't very clear in my comment. After I posted about my experience in a prior post I think a moderator pointed out that there is another loading area for Test Track where the steep step down is not required. I did not mean to say that a CM would assist just that there might be an option to make it easier. It is also my understanding that CMs are not allowed to physically assist guests getting off and on a ride.

I have found that by getting in with the straight leg first onto splash mountain then then sliding it along the floor of the log, then reversing . so by bending my good leg. and then pushing up with my hands and then sliding my straight leg back out is the way to go. it may be a bit awkward , but it is doable... and if you are on a scooter.. then CM's are more than understanding that you may need a bit more time.. hope you can do the ride,, and hope you have a great time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter