Question about family time.

SoSiWe

Mouseketeer
I'm planning our first cruise and while I want my children to enjoy the kids' activities on board, I also want to see them every now and then. I believe that I want us to eat together every night as a family....do the clubs' activities interfere with that? Will they 'jump ship' if I insist they eat with us? What do you experienced cruisers suggest?

If you have late dining, what I've read here is that CMs will come through the restaurant and collect any kids who want to go to the kid's clubs, leaving the parents to themselves. The servers will serve the kid's meals faster for this reason. Sounds nice to me!

ETA: This is probably the only time each day we'll be without DD6, since we like to do things together too. However, a little chance each night for a moonlit stroll after dinner sounds okay too.

On a cruise, DCL or other, basically you can choose to do whatever you want to do (and that you can do), or not do whatever you don't want to do.

We have always held dinner as "family time" and we have eaten together every dinner except one on 20+ cruises.

The Navigator will contain a schedule of activities in the programming. You can take your child for one activity or a whole day--it's up to you and the child. Most kids do not stay all day. At the very least, they want to see the shows, swim sometimes, etc....

I'm planning our first cruise and while I want my children to enjoy the kids' activities on board, I also want to see them every now and then. I believe that I want us to eat together every night as a family....do the clubs' activities interfere with that? Will they 'jump ship' if I insist they eat with us? What do you experienced cruisers suggest?

I'm with you. I let my DDs pretty much do whatever they want during the day. But, I insist we have dinner and do the show as a family. Sometimes their feathers get a little ruffled for missing the night activities...but they get over it.

I agree with you, TinkBell10. We just retuned from our 3/26 Eastern Magic, and our 3DDs (12, 17, 17) had mandatory family time daily from 5:30pm - 9:30 pm. We had the 2nd dinner seating, so we told them to get back to the rooms in time for a shower before the 6:15pm show, then we would take pictures or go to a 7:30 pm family event, then to our 8:15pm dinner. Often our kids were inhaling their dessert to get off to their activities, but, as long as they didn't choke, we were o.k. with it. Almost every night (past midnight) my DH and I watched tv in bed waiting for their late, late night returns. It all worked out great, and sometimes one or more of our girls would surprise us and want to hang with us!! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I guess my concern was that something really awesome would only be scheduled at Dinner and I would feel guilty for asking them to eat with us. We have late seating and I really hope that helps us to wind down together.....I really love hearing everyone's tips on what they do with their family. I AM SO EXCITED!!! Can you tell? :rotfl: Since it is our first cruise, I really want the 'fancy eating' to be special and something we share together. I am not against them leaving dinner early, I am excited to hear about that idea. I think that will be perfect, especially for our younger son.

Thanks for the ideas....if our cruise is half a great as I feel it is going to be- it will be due in part to the wonderful advice & ideas from this board.

3MinnieMom- that is what hope happens to us. That is what I have in mind. Thanks!!! =)

We signed our kids up for the kids clubs on HAL, their first cruise, and for the kids clubs on the Magic a year and a half later when we sailed on her.
They went to the orientations for both, and never went back.
Cruises have become our time to be together. But our roles change on a cruise, DW and I check our "mom and dad" roles at the gangway.
I don't know about everyone else, but at home, between work, school and sports, I might see my kids for 2 hours a day. On vacation, it's a treat to spend 24/7 for 7 days with them.

What we do at dinner with my DD(5) is insist she come with us, but allow her to go ahead and be served, so she is typically done earlier then we are. I then take her to the club. I find it is a good balance between enjoying some family time and not making a 5 year old sit through a dinner that long. It works great for us. I get to have my dessert and relax, she's fed and happy at the club...all good.

We were just on the Magic in Feb. and had 5 girls with us ages 4-12. We chose late dining specifically so that we could take advantage of the dine and play option. It worked out great for us as we were three families travelling together. The kids were so happy to go play together and we got to relax and hear about everyone adventures for the day. They would take the kids order first off, I think when they were taking our drink order. They came out in a matter of minutes, it seemed. After about 30-40 min someone from the kids club would come and collect the children at the front of the restaurant. I hope this is helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter