Question about DVC and dining/park tickets please

Bertie131

DIS Veteran
We are considering DVC after a recent trip to the World. However, since it only covers your sleeping arrangements, do you veterans of DVC find it saving you money over all? I used to stay at Poly, but with costs we are now staying at POR. I like the idea of DVC and Deluxe, but still seems like alot of money. Seems like paying monthly on DVC and then still having to pay for all your dining, park tickets etc. doesn't get you much back until the DVC loan is paid off? Anyone out there able to give me any insight on what you think? TIA!

DO NOT buy DVC unless you can pay cash. You are pre-paying for vacations for a very long time, and as you said, you still have to pay for tickets and food and getting there. Plus, you'll have yearly dues that will go up (most likely) each year. Don't get a loan! Save money each month until you can just buy it (it will probably take a couple years, but then the money is there incase of an emergency as opposed to being stuck with a loan).

I also recommend renting points to try it out before you make your decision.

Thank you so much for the advice. Does anyone know about or recommend buying resales or is this not a good idea?

I bought mine resale through the timeshare store and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Disney has changed the rules since I bought mine and now some things are exluded (like going to the Grand Canyon). Not sure exactly what because I would only use my points at WDW or DL.

Plus prices on resale have dropped DRAMATICALLY since I bought mine. I have 100 points are SSRS which I paid $83 per point. Now you can get those same points for around $65 per point. Make me throw up in my mouth just thinking about it.

This is the route I went. Since I was buying with cash and didn't want a loan, the resale saved me TONS of money (literally thousands).

You can ONLY use the points from resale at disney world resorts. Not cruises, destinations, etc.For us, this is all we'd ever want it for anyway.

We went through r e s a l e s dvc.com they were great.

We are considering DVC after a recent trip to the World. However, since it only covers your sleeping arrangements, do you veterans of DVC find it saving you money over all? I used to stay at Poly, but with costs we are now staying at POR. I like the idea of DVC and Deluxe, but still seems like alot of money. Seems like paying monthly on DVC and then still having to pay for all your dining, park tickets etc. doesn't get you much back until the DVC loan is paid off? Anyone out there able to give me any insight on what you think? TIA!

I would only buy DVC if you can pay for it in full or if you know that your loan will be paid off in a year or two.
Any real savings won't be seen for many years down the road when hotel room are much higher in price and all you are paying are the yearly maintenance fees. (of course; they too will be more; but the offset will probably be in our favor)

DVC is not a money saving membership. It is about giving yourself the opportunity to make a reservation at a 'deluxe' resort on the Disney properties. It only makes sense if you know you will want to vacation at Disneyland or WDW again and again and again. It's about that intangible feeling that a 'piece' of Disney 'belongs' to you (even if really the reverse is true; Disney owns a 'piece' of you).

I don't regret my choice to purchase DVC; actually contemplating buying more points, but I would never purchase if I had to pay on a loan for it. We actually paid our membership on our American Express, paid that off when we got the bill and was able to use the points earned on our credit card to fly us out to WDW for the first trip.

I may have to save a little while to be able to pay in cash. The resale sounds really good considering I only want to use it in WDW or DL, but I have heard it is hard to add points later? Also DVC can turn down the sale? Still researching, just looking for thoughts. :)

I like the idea of DVC and Deluxe, but still seems like alot of money.

it is.

The resale sounds really good considering I only want to use it in WDW or DL, but I have heard it is hard to add points later?

no - not hard at all. you can add-on directly by calling disney and telling them you want to buy more pts, or you can find a resale with the same UY month and have it titled the same and add a sub contract under the same membership number that way. (with a lot of things with DVC, that might change - but that is the process now.)

i agree that resale is a much better way to go, if DVC works for you.

if you are organized and don't mind things being a little more complicated, you can add pts by buying a resale contract with any UY month (it would not be an "add-on" technically but with pts transfers and linking of reservations, you'd still get to basically the same place - just more details (like different banking windows) to keep track of.)

Also DVC can turn down the sale? Still researching, just looking for thoughts. :)

disney has "right of first refusal" (ROFR) on resales. if you negotiate a great deal on a resale contract, DVC can "step into your shoes" as the buyer and agree to buy from the seller at the terms indicated in the contract. the seller gets the agreed-upon money and you have to start looking for another contract to buy.

not a big deal but it makes things take a little longer.

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I think resale may be the way to go. Do any of you have a DVC home resort that you would recommend more than another?

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I think resale may be the way to go. Do any of you have a DVC home resort that you would recommend more than another?

I would recommend buying where you intend to stay the most often.
At the time I bought, SSRS had the longest term of years without paying an extra fee, so we bought there. Now I would rather have something on the monorail line or at Boardwalk or Beachclub.

You can use your points at any DVC resort, including Hilton Head, Vero Beach, and Aulani. We just went to Hawaii and I feel it was a great use of our points. Saved a ton over the regular room rate. But it left us point-poor, so we've finally given in to addonitis.
We bought in at BLT directly through Disney; but, are now planning on resale for the add-on, hopefully at BWV.
If you care about where you stay, you should buy into that resort so you can plan ahead and reserve it 11-8 months in advance. Otherwise, you try your luck at 7 or less months.

Buying into DVC is an investment beyond buying the initial contract. You will have annual dues that are around $5/point currently, and are going up annually. You will have tickets, food, and transportation costs every time you go. Not owning DVC gives you much more flexibility.

BUT, if you want to got to Disney every 1-2 years for the next 30 years and stay in a deluxe accommodation, then DVC may be a good option for you. We bought direct initially and used DVC financing, but we knew we could pay off the loan in about 2 years. I agree with other that resale is the most cost-effective way to get into DVC. You should spend some time studying the points charts to see how many points you would need to stay at WDW during the times you usually travel. The DVC studios are very nice, but the one bedrooms will spoil you. Many start with a small contract and do studios for a few years and they ad-on to get into a larger villa in the future.

As far as a home resort, some of it becomes a personal preference. SSR is the most cost effective option if you purchase resale. But, your home resort is where you may have to stay if the other resorts are not available when you travel, so you need to be happy with your home. We own at AKV and love it, but it is a little more than SSR and OKW on the resale market.

You also need be able to plan far in advance to really take advantage of DVC. If you need to wait until 2-3 months before your trip to schedule lodging, DVC is probably not for you. This is especially true during the busier times for DVC, like Epcot F&W, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Spend lots of time reading the boards. There is alot to learn!

You asked a lot of great questions. In the interests of keeping it brief, I'll try to provide shorter answers to your questions. Please let me know if something I say isn't clear because of this.

DVC really isn't about saving money from a cash flow perspective. It's about being able to book stays at Disney Deluxe resorts for a predetermined and (somewhat) prepaid (with the exception of dues) amount. There are many threads out there that break down the numbers of buying DVC vs. paying cash for rooms and how the numbers shake out really depends on the time of year you go and what discounts are available, as well as whether you purchase direct or resale. The general consensus is that over the long term, buying DVC can save you money over similar accommodations. If you stay in moderates, it is likely that your cash outlay will be the same over the long term but you will be staying in nicer accommodations. One thing to note, however, is that the interest charges you pay if you finance can change these numbers drastically and may make purchasing DVC a disadvantageous situation. Also, many people have noted that owning DVC has led to more frequent trips to Disney and those come with added expenses.

So to answer your question briefly (because I sort of fell short on that promise with my answer above), I would recommend against purchasing DVC if your priority is to save money or if you have to finance the purchase. Anything is possible, but odds are that it will not work out the way you are hoping.

Thank you so much for the advice. Does anyone know about or recommend buying resales or is this not a good idea?

There are entire threads dedicated to this topic. The majority opinion on here is that buying resale is a sound idea. But you need to be informed, so I would recommend reading some of those threads to know exactly what you are getting in terms of the buying process and restrictions placed on resale points.

I may have to save a little while to be able to pay in cash. The resale sounds really good considering I only want to use it in WDW or DL, but I have heard it is hard to add points later? Also DVC can turn down the sale? Still researching, just looking for thoughts. :)

These questions were answered above, but I would add that having to save up before you purchase isn't the worst thing in the world. I know it delays gratification, but it also greatly increases the chances that you will be a happy DVC owner who is pleased with her decision.

Again, many threads dedicated to this. Picking a home resort is a very, very personal choice. I would recommend spending a day on your next trip touring the different resorts. They all have different themes, styles, feels and benefits and drawbacks. You need to first decide what is important to you and then we can help you narrow down your choices. (For example, my main priority is to be able to walk to the parks, as I'm not a huge fan of the buses. So my choices were really between BLT, BWV and BCV).

This is such a huge decision and there is a lot to learn. My advice would be to just spend a few months reading the different threads here on the DIS. There is so much information to be had, and it will equip you with the knowledge that you need to make a decision that will work for you in the long run. Have fun with the process and good luck! :)

You guys are the best with your responses! Gotta love Dis ppl! Do you find it difficult to book other than your home resort ? Also, can you still purchase a dining plan and/or a ticket package when you are not booking a total package that would normally include lodging? TIA!

You guys are the best with your responses! Gotta love Dis ppl! Do you find it difficult to book other than your home resort ? Also, can you still purchase a dining plan and/or a ticket package when you are not booking a total package that would normally include lodging? TIA!

Booking other than your home resort depends alot on when you travel. It is extremely difficult to get BWV or BCV at 7 months out during Epcot F&W. The first week of December is very difficult to get anything other than your home resort, and even that needs to be booked far in advance if you want to make sure you have something. We own at AKV and have had success with getting a BWV 1BR boardwalk view for early March, BLT 2BR-LV for early June, and we got a BLT LV studio in October. The more exclusive rooms (BLT-MK view, AKV value and concierge) are difficult to get most times of the year without home resort priority.

You can purchase a dining plan with DVC. It needs to be paid for at least 2 days in advance of your arrival. It is all or none, so either everyone in the villa is on the plan, or no one is. You have to purchase the plan for your entire stay. DVC offers a discounted Tables in Wonderland card, and many DVC members (including us) prefer to use that over the dining plan. With DVC, there is never a free dining option.

DVC offers discounted annual passes and premium annual passes for members. Otherwise, tickets are purchased a la carte. There are DVC discounts for certain nights of ticketed events like MNSSHP and MVMCP.

Do you find it difficult to book other than your home resort ?

a little of both.

i have stayed at BLT and AKV (in value studios) using my OKW pts. (and that wasn't available at 7 months but required sitting on a waitlist for months.)

but i have tried for reservations in a couple of cases at AKV and BWV and the waitlist never came through. fortunately, i love staying at OKW and am happy staying there if my waitlists don't come through.

some people are pretty lucky and post about how they always get what they want at 7 months out. those people will not be around when you can't get your waitlisted resort...

We bought into the BCV over ten years ago and financed it through Disney. Over the past ten years we have added on to either BCV or SSR directly through DVC again. The add on points we charged to our Disney Chase credit card for the reward system and paid those off over a few short months. We paid off the 10 year DVC loan early and now we have lots of points and can use them for everything Disney and rci exchanges. When I didn't think we could afford it 10 years ago I am so glad that we did. I wish we had bought into DVC when it first became available. We now have our first grandbaby and can't wait to share the magic with her! I think no matter how you purchase points you will not be disappointed and each vacation is always different. Good luck!!pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter