Question about double strollers while using transportation around disney?

HappyPappe

Earning My Ears
I see that buses pick you up in front of your hotel? How hard is it to get your double stroller up on the bus? I am used to leaving the stroller open with the kiddos in it and getting on a Tram at Silver Dollar City. HOwever, I am seeing that WDW is quite different with their transportation than SDC. What about the monorails? How do you get a stroller on them too..

Also, my twins will be turning 3 when we arrive at Disney, I have a double Graco stroller, stadium seating. Do you think the stroller will be used as much? I can't see going to a cheap umbrella stroller because the handles are so low and it would hurt my back to be bent over that much. Thanks for the advice, it's greatly appreciated.

depending on how crowded it is, you may need to fold up the stroller on the monrail too. we had a side by side, so we took our DDs out for all transportation. I was in charge of the backpack and the kids...DH was in charge of the stroller. Made it much easier that way.

Yup, all strollers need to be folded on buses...

We usually take 2 umbrella strollers for that reason...

I have also thought about using smaller, umbrella-type strollers but have decided not to do so on previous trips. They don't have as much storage room as the bigger strollers. I've even thought about renting strollers, but there's not much storage in those either.

You will definitely want to have a comfy stroller for your little ones. You will have to fold it up on buses and trams, but shouldn't have to do so on monorails...space permitting as another poster mentioned.

Just a tip that has worked for me...I put all of the stuff that I want to put in the bottom storage area of the stroller in Wal-Mart bags. That way if I have to collapse my stroller I don't have to take all the junk out of the baskets and carry that stuff as well. I have to empty those baskets to get my stroller to close. When I know the strollers can be open for good, I put all my stuff down below. Just a thought!

My step sister and I just arrived home yesterday from WDW with 2 double (front/back) strollers. It was annoying when the bus had stairs but the other ones weren't that bad. I sure have stronger arms now. I definetely wouldn't have used anything else my kiddos are 21 months and 33 months and they were comfortable for those long days. Good Luck and have fun...

How much of a hassle it is will depend on how much of a tolerance you have for doing it. Personally, I find there is very little difference between a bigger stroller and a lighter, smaller stroller.

Tips:
1) Keep stored items in bags with handles. That way you're not pulling a bunch of stuff out but a couple of bags. We actually use two large diaper bags.
2) Decide on a division of work and stick to it throughout the whole trip. I do stroller duty (do it daily at home, so I have more experience with it) and DH handles the kiddos and bags.
3) Actually practice it once or twice at home getting in and out (use the car) so the kids are familiar with what is going on.
4) For those that drive, walk through the parking lot & skip the tram.

And remember, you are actually not needing to fold the strollers up all that often.

We usually take a small ice chest for their juice and kiddie snacks. Something that fits between the 2 seats, an extra diaper bag. Would this be frowned upon when we have to take it out of the stroller and get on the bus with it? Or frowned upon in the park?

Thanks again...

rt2dz said:
How much of a hassle it is will depend on how much of a tolerance you have for doing it. Personally, I find there is very little difference between a bigger stroller and a lighter, smaller stroller.

Tips:
1) Keep stored items in bags with handles. That way you're not pulling a bunch of stuff out but a couple of bags. We actually use two large diaper bags.
2) Decide on a division of work and stick to it throughout the whole trip. I do stroller duty (do it daily at home, so I have more experience with it) and DH handles the kiddos and bags.
3) Actually practice it once or twice at home getting in and out (use the car) so the kids are familiar with what is going on.
4) For those that drive, walk through the parking lot & skip the tram.

And remember, you are actually not needing to fold the strollers up all that often.

This is how we did it except I liked a backpack (or two!) so I could wear it and keep my hands free for the kiddos. I took the bags and kids and dh did the stroller. We always had everything packed up before we left the park and usually folded the stroller toward the front of the bus queue.

You will need to fold the stroller for all the bus trips and if the monorial is crowded you will need to fold it there as well. If its not crowded you can fit a double stroller through the doors of the wheel chair accessable cars only (of course deferring to those who truly need it first). On the boats you can leave the stroller open but you do need to take the kids out, park the stroller with the breaks on and then have the kids sit with you.

Have a great trip.
TJ

HappyPappe said:
We usually take a small ice chest for their juice and kiddie snacks. Something that fits between the 2 seats, an extra diaper bag. Would this be frowned upon when we have to take it out of the stroller and get on the bus with it? Or frowned upon in the park?

Thanks again...

That's fine as long as you can carry it easily, mabye a softside cooler with a carry strap or a backpack cooler? You just don't want more than you can lug nor do you want to be hitting other passengers while trying to maneuver down the bus aisle. I also like to pack so we can grab everything easily and quickly.

As far as the parks they will allow a small cooler as long as it dosen't contain glass containers or alcohol.

HTH
TJ

Hopefully you won't be juggling two kids, a double stroller, and bags all by yourself?

On the buses, be prepared to either not have a seat or to wait for the next bus as well...

Yes, it is a soft sided cooler and I am pretty good about packing things.. And I have a pretty good DH so he really seems to take care of a lot for us too. The double stroller can get quite heavy by myself, so I think hubby will have stroller duty while on vacation. I tend to take care of it since I am a SAHM and out doing errands.

thanks so much......

We had the same concearns at our last trip. We took our double stroller and it was soooo big and bulky to fold up and when busses come you are usually fighting a crowd to get on and get a seat... so the double stroller was a REAL pain. But we too hate using umbrella strollers for the same reason, they hurt our backs and they don't hold anything... we need lots of storage etc. So we were trying to steer clear of waisting money on renting one.

Since we go to Disney once a year... we realized that this was going to be an issue for us a lot. So we looked into a double stroller that was lighter and more compact. We got a Safety 1st DOUBLE stroller that folds up like an umbrella one. It's is really cool! Not as many goodies that a regular double has (less storage and feet room etc.) but is is totally cool! It's way easier to fold in a hurry and smaller to cram places in crowds etc. We still have the rushed feeling and the where to put things that need to be taked out for a quick fold... and we only have so many hands and arms with 2 kids, a diaper bag, sippy cups, bags, umbrella, jackets, you name it... it's still stressful to get on those busses. BUT it works a ot smoother!

I wish the monorail was everywhere! That is sooooo easy! You just push your stroller up and park it infront of your seat while you ride. If there is a crowd you can choose to wait for the next ride. We have never had to fold ours. I guess no one has ever asked. If its really full after we have already had our seats...it would be our choice to fold it to make more standing room. But we never have.... =)

Stroller dilemas's are still our biggest fear... but.... we make it work. Good luck!

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that has these concerns for our family vacation. :goodvibes

Can anyone tell me what you do with the strollers once you get on the bus? Is there a place to put them or do you hold them in your seat? I can't picture what to do with a double stroller.

There is no dedicated place on any WDW for strollers - you hold them at your seat (if you get a seat!)

HappyPappe said:

Thanks again...

I would have everything out and ready to go, pull over to the side, BEFORE getting in line for the bus. It's easier on you and more considerate to the people around you.

I have never had to fold a double stroller on the monorail regardless of crowds. Then again often the kids are sleeping anyway. And we aren't there right at closing.

oh, another tip, avoid (if possible), the crowded times. If you are able to hang out in the parks (late adr or some [window] shopping) or leave before the park closes you will have a much better time finding room on the bus. Same if you don't arrive during the rush.

Has anyone used a side by side double umbrella stroller at disney? I was considering this for our two kids because they fold up pretty small.

I had to fold mine up ever time even on the monarail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter