question about dining with six-month-old

fairestoneofall

DIS Veteran
Hi! We're traveling to the World next week. I have a quick question about TS dining with my six-month-old. I know that we won't be able to leave him in the stroller while we eat. So, is someone going to have to hold him? Or are the high chairs okay for a six-month-old. I did order a cover for the high chair (one that also fits shopping carts) hoping that would pad it some for him.

I just wanted to know if I should plan to do/take something special to make the high chairs work for him. He is just now learning to sit up and definitely not steady yet.

Thanks!

Some restaurants might let you bring the stroller in...it seems to be a hit or miss. I would ask for sure.

Some restaurants might let you bring the stroller in...it seems to be a hit or miss. I would ask for sure.

I wouldn't count on it. Most do nOt have room for strollers. Most high chairs are the wooden kind most restaurants have. If you are concerned I would just go to a panera or other restaurant and try them out. You may need to use some blankets to pad him and it's better to know ahead of time.

I wear my kids when they're that young so I don't know but I would think like someone else said some restaurants may allow the stroller. Good idea on buying the high chair cover!

I think the floppy cover for the high chair is a good idea because a six month old may not be the steadiest sitter and that will support him. The main issue I have with restaurant high chairs with infants is that they tend to put the baby at the perfect level to chew on the table. That leaves my baby chewing on the table, table cloth, glass cover, paper cover, whatever and even if I use a wipe to disinfect it (andI'm not a germaphobe, but all sorts of nasty stuff lurks on those surfaces) it leaves them chewing on the wipe residue. (Okay, I totally sound like a germ/chemical lunatic, I guess I am a little bit?)

Unless she's sleeping, I don't think a carrier would solve this problem either. While I love wearing my babies, none would tolerate while sitting for a table service dinner if they were awake.

If I'm remembering correctly, almost all or all of the restaurants in the parks have you leave your stroller outside. I think I'd try the high chair and then either pass the baby back and forth in laps or bring our table clip on seat. I'd stow it in the stroller while touring the parks and then bring it out for meals. Unless, of course, Disney doesn't allow those sorts of things? I'd actually be curious if anyone has experience using a clip-on chair in Disney because we might bring ours in January.

Upon further consideration. I would advise you to go with the restaurant highchair with floppy cover for extra support and then some disposable placemats over the edge of the table to prevent chewing directly on the table or table linens. I was going to advise a reusable placemat as I had a fantastic one that suctioned onto the table and draped over the edge but apparently, after reading current reviews, the company doesn't make them as well anymore.

we are taking our carrier, but if he's awake, he will not be still. if i'm holding him in my lap, he's always reaching for something. if he's in the carrier, he's going to either be fussing to get out or trying to grab every bite DH or i put into our mouths. ;)

i do need to pick up some disposable placemats. i already got the disposable bibs (he's six months--he's a messy eater. i don't want to have to worry about cleaning bibs.).

i hope padding him will work. i know that most of those restaurant high chairs do not have high backs. but we'll manage something!

thanks! :)

If the baby is still in an infant car seat and you plan on using it in the parks, some of the restaurants have a sling that you can set the seat on and lock it in place. If not, high chair with padding.

Our YDD is seven months and between a padded/covered high chair and a package of MumMums everyone gets a chance to put down most of their dinner while it's still warm. :) They are almost mess free and she's amused long enough to keep laps empty.

I hope you have a realy good stroller that accepts the care seat carrier. My brother bought their Graco carseat with the Graco frame only stroller (there is no normal seating area) and that thing was like dragging a cinder block by the end of the day.
This one http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266236

We found it easier to use our fullsized normal stroller with out the car seat. That way the DS 6m had space to wiggle around and we could recline the seat totaly flat for him to nap.

We also borrowed a few towels from the hotel to line the seating area of the stroller. Which is a lot easier then cleaning the strolller after blowouts/ throwups. The towels could also be used to help steady your ds in the high chair.

If you are using formula, Similac makes single serving (4oz) packets that are great for in the parks/ on the go. If you can't find them, you can preload a snack sized ziplock to help with quick bottle feedings. We also would put the watter bottles on top of the stroller cover to let the sun warm them up.

we are not using the car seat in our stroller. DS would tolerate for a bit, but he's much happier if he can stretch out. and the stroller that takes our car seat is a BOB and it's huge. we got a second stroller that's smaller/lighter but still suitable for a six-month-old. we're also taking our Ergo carrier.

thanks for the tips. the bottle on top of stroller is a great tip. i do have some of the similar single-serving packets. he is mostly BF, but i want to be prepared in case i need to give him a bottle.

Our YDD is seven months and between a padded/covered high chair and a package of MumMums everyone gets a chance to put down most of their dinner while it's still warm. :) They are almost mess free and she's amused long enough to keep laps empty.

Yep:goodvibes

We have taken our BOB both times to WDW (DS was 6m and 1.5yr).

It is the easist stroler to push around, even with it load up. In the airport we carried 6m DS and put carryons on in the seat and the carseat ontop of the shade.

When DS was 6m his feet didn't reach the foot area, so my dad would put his bookbag there when walked around. We found a messanger style diaper bag to put the most used stuff in and it hangs accross the the handels. The extra supplies wehn in a seprate bad that went under the seat.

Oh, the Bob is also tall enough that the wife would hide behind it when BF.

The high chair cover is an excellent idea. We used one for our son from the time he was 6 months old till he was about 15 months old. :)

Some of the restaurants had an infant type high chair. I think Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's did. California Grill let us bring the stroller in and I was able to roll it right up under the edge and DS slept through most of the meal. I was also able to bring it in at the HDDR and he slept through most of that too. He was only 4 months at the time though. At 6 months I don't know if he would have wanted to be in the infant high chair or not. It kind of lays them back.

When my DS was 6 mos we spent 2 weeks in Japan, and of course there was no consistency in what they would offer for a high chair one place to the next. I made sure I brought along a scarf and wrapped it around his chest and then the high chair to give him some extra stability. He could sit up on his own, but the extra stability of the scarf helped a lot.

That was 14 years ago, but I thought that there was such a harness available at Babies R Us in more recent history.

We went to WDW when ds10 was 6 months old. He used the high chairs provided at all the TS restaurants and sat in his stroller at CS locations. At 6 months, he had more than enough support for the high chairs. He was crawling and pulling to a stand at that age - he walked unassisted across our living room the day he turned 9 months.

If your stroller is one with the detachable carseat you are in luck! Did you know you can turn a restaurant wooden highchair upside down and pop an infant carrier (carseat) on top of it?!?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter