Question about desserts on dining plan

happymommy

DIS Veteran
We just booked the Pop resort with free QS dining (works well for us, just me and DD and don't want to do any table service other than lunch at BOG which is booked). I have a question about desserts!

I'm usually too full after a meal to have a dessert, but later on would love it for a snack. Some places at the parks offer nice looking cupcakes as dessert options. Will they give you a "to go" container? I know bakeries will, but other places? Also, will BOG allow the dessert to go?

I read that you can also get a water bottle as a substitute some places. Any other options? The last time we had the dining plan, we ended up throwing away so many desserts after one bite, since we were too full!

Lunch at BOG isn't table service, FYI :) I've gotten desserts to go from table service restaurants (last time in 2013), not sure if it has changed.

Yes, I know BOG lunch is counter service; we're not doing any table service this trip. I just wonder if BOG will package up a cupcake to take with you if you're too full? Since I never get dessert per se, I'm not sure if dessert is packaged up at some other places. I know the Boardwalk Bakery has containers (and we'll definitely go there for snacks - DD likes their pastries!). I'd love to try some cute cupcakes I've seen at counter service places, but take it back to have as my late night snack!

Gotcha, I misread it. You should be fine to get it in a box to-go :) We've done it in the past.

Lunch BOG is a QS so you can use a credit there! Dinner is TS.

I've had several restaurants box up food I haven't been able to finish, I don't think desserts would be any different. Biggest problem is carrying the stuff around all day, lol.......I usually asked for doggie bags at dinner so I could take it back to my room for use at breakfast, lol.

It has been a few years since I used the dining plan and may have changed. But in instances where we were getting a frozen desert we were able to get a voucher so the desert wouldn't melt while we were eating. I then went back later on and just picked up my desert when I was a little hungrier.

Thanks, All! I feel better about this. We'll do it if it's either a time we're leaving the park or at the resort (and I understand at the resort). We won't spend long days at the parks anyway, since we've been so many times, and DD now will be in a borrowed wheelchair (just diagnosed with EDS and has joint pain, so can't walk long distances). This trip is about us enjoying time together and having junk (sort of) food! Truth be told, we MAYBE have one burger each on a trip - we like counter service options though! She likes sweets.

Not all of the QS places have to go containers. At some places they only have a second paper plate to put over the food. None of the places we ate at had cupcake containers specifically. Some had plastic containers that were not tall enough for the cupcakes so if you lay the cupcake down or stand it up and close the top, the cupcake got smooshed. It tasted just as good, but it didn't look very pretty by the time we got it back to the room.

Hmmmm, Maybe I'll carry a small tupperware container in my backpack?????

I may carry a small soft sided cooler. That way if we get a water bottle, we can carry it around. A small tupperware container isn't a bad idea! Not to sound tacky, but really, we travel with them to condos for leftovers!

My question is, would they maybe have some rice Krispy treats you could get instead? I know it's blasphemy, but I think I might get tired of chocolate cake/cupcakes. And they would be easier to carry.

I would love that! It would be easier to carry, and I also get would get sick of the chocolate (yes, it can happen!).

We're going to take hard looks at menus and keep dessert in mind when we decide where to eat! And also ask about water bottles a couple of times (I've heard it can be allowed, not always though, instead of dessert).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter