Question About Child Restraints

DisneyMagicMommy

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone -

We have been to WDW many times but this is our first time flying down. I have been on planes but never with my kids. They will be 6, 4.5, and 3 (just turning 3) when we fly. What do you reccomend we use as restraints if anything. I know my 6 year old and 4.5 year old can't use their boosters because they are backless (we were going to throw them in a suitcase to use in the rental car)...and I think my 3 year olds seat surpasses the width allowed on a plane so we were just going to check that with our luggage. Would you reccomend all of them use the CARES system thing? Or do they really even need it? Also if they should use the CARES system is there a place we can rent them from? I don't want to have to buy 3 of them because we really don't fly very often and this will probebly be the only time they would use it.

Thank You all :)

Last time we flew from LAX to MCO, my 4 y/o daughter and 2 y/o son didn't use any boosters or car seats. They sat quietly in their seats with seatbelts on during takeoff and landing without any problems. They were rowdy during the middle part of the flight, though. :)

I think the key is to make sure each kid gets his/her own seat. I think at their ages, they're probably too old to be lap children.

Yes, they are definetly too old to be lap children. It's good to know that your kids did fine with just the airline seatbelts as opposed to having to use the CARES system. I was hoping not to mess around with that but wanted to hear another persons experience flying with kids before making up my mind so thank you for your response. And I can totally understand kids getting rowdy flying from LAX to MCO...i got bored on a trip from IND to LAX as well and I'm 27...lol. But luckily our flight from IND to MCO is only about 2 hours long so hopefully keeping them occupied won't be too difficult.

Thank You

I don't really think it's so much if they will sit still for take off and landing as it is what will happen if you hit turbulence. With a child that small, the seatbelt isn't going to hold them down if you hit bad turbulence. I rented a CARES from the lady on ebay. Just my 2 cents

Hello Everyone -

We have been to WDW many times but this is our first time flying down. I have been on planes but never with my kids. They will be 6, 4.5, and 3 (just turning 3) when we fly. What do you reccomend we use as restraints if anything. I know my 6 year old and 4.5 year old can't use their boosters because they are backless (we were going to throw them in a suitcase to use in the rental car)...and I think my 3 year olds seat surpasses the width allowed on a plane so we were just going to check that with our luggage. Would you reccomend all of them use the CARES system thing? Or do they really even need it? Also if they should use the CARES system is there a place we can rent them from? I don't want to have to buy 3 of them because we really don't fly very often and this will probebly be the only time they would use it.

Thank You all :)

When DS was just under 2 I flew with him from IND to BUF. He ended up having his own seat since there was a free one and he sat with his lap belt on and did perfectly fine. I think he liked it a lot more rather than being buckled up as normal. We are flying again in May and he will be 3, and I plan on doing the same thing. I think your 3 year old should be fine!

you can check the booster seats in at the gate and this way you have more luggage room and they dont charge you for booster/car seats at the gate

Just my thoughts.....

I think many think of child restraints questions in the wrong light.

Many responses on this board are "I flew with my child - he was fine with the seat beat - he was ok" All are about how the child dealt with the flight and the whatever restraint you decide to use (even if it your lap).

Restraints are there to protect injury in case of a situation that may occur. Heck that is why they are used in cars - just in case.

We fly alot with our daughter. Until she was 3 we lugged the car seat on the plane - after 3 we use CARES. Why....because if something were to happen I will not be able to hold her and if she is in a regular seat belt she can slide up on it very easily and it won't work.

Want more info - check out the recent thread on this board about 30 getting hurt when bad turbulance hit.

For the OP - I realize the CARES are not cheap - but you can check out ebay and purchase there or even rent one for the week for about $15!

Just my thoughts.....

I think many think of child restraints questions in the wrong light.

Many responses on this board are "I flew with my child - he was fine with the seat beat - he was ok" All are about how the child dealt with the flight and the whatever restraint you decide to use (even if it your lap).

Restraints are there to protect injury in case of a situation that may occur. Heck that is why they are used in cars - just in case.

We fly alot with our daughter. Until she was 3 we lugged the car seat on the plane - after 3 we use CARES. Why....because if something were to happen I will not be able to hold her and if she is in a regular seat belt she can slide up on it very easily and it won't work.

Want more info - check out the recent thread on this board about 30 getting hurt when bad turbulance hit.

For the OP - I realize the CARES are not cheap - but you can check out ebay and purchase there or even rent one for the week for about $15!

Thank you for that information. I haden't heard about that happening on a flight but it really does put my question into a whole different light. So you would definetly recommend CARES for my 3 year old. What about the 4.5 and 6 year old? Sorry for so many questions. But as I said i've never flown with kids and want to make sure I've got it all right and they are as safe as possible.

The FAA's recommendation on upper-body restraints for children is that an approved CRS is recommended for any child who weighs less than 40 lbs. The biggest danger for a small child using a lap-only belt is internal injuries from something called "submarining"; that is, sliding down under the seatbelt so that it puts too much pressure on internal organs, rather than the bones of the pelvis.

Tests have shown that once they reach 40 lbs. children have the same degree of protection from the lap-only belt as an adult does.

The FAA's recommendation on upper-body restraints for children is that an approved CRS is recommended for any child who weighs less than 40 lbs. The biggest danger for a small child using a lap-only belt is internal injuries from something called "submarining"; that is, sliding down under the seatbelt so that it puts too much pressure on internal organs, rather than the bones of the pelvis.

Tests have shown that once they reach 40 lbs. children have the same degree of protection from the lap-only belt as an adult does.

Thanks so much for that information. I had DH read this and we have decided that we will weigh each child and see who needs it and who doesn't. I'm not worried about my 6 year old, and I think my 4.5 year old will be fine but it sounds like our 3 year old will definetly be needing the CARES restraint.

Thank You all for your info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter