Question about cabin locations?

mmmears

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I'm new to cruising, so I have a couple of basic questions about the DCL 3 night cruise:

1) Do you have a preferred side of the ship (L or R) for views, shade, etc.?

2) Do you feel the ship's movements more on Deck 8 than on Deck 7 or 6? I really don't want to feel lots of motion -- I even get monrail-sick. We need a decent sized room because we'll be 3 adults and 1 child, but I've also been told not to be at the top (and that's where all the family rooms are).

And advice is really appreciated!:goodvibes

Hi all. I'm new to cruising, so I have a couple of basic questions about the DCL 3 night cruise:

1) Do you have a preferred side of the ship (L or R) for views, shade, etc.?

2) Do you feel the ship's movements more on Deck 8 than on Deck 7 or 6? I really don't want to feel lots of motion -- I even get monrail-sick. We need a decent sized room because we'll be 3 adults and 1 child, but I've also been told not to be at the top (and that's where all the family rooms are).

And advice is really appreciated!:goodvibes

I guarantee I will not be the only one to offer an opinion, so here goes mine:

I prefer the Starboard side (right side if facing Forward). Usually when the ships back into Castaway Key, the Starboard side faces the island and beach, so you have a really nice view (not that any view of the ocean isn't a nice one, correct?).

In regards to motion, if you get into any kind of heavy seas, you will feel the motion, no matter where your cabin is located. General consensus on the boards is that midship is were you want to be if you want to feel less "up and down" motion (think if it like a see-saw or teeter-totter). The ship could also "roll", and you will get a side-to-side motion. The rolling is where you try to walk down the hall in a straight line, and you can't because the floor keeps tilting :rolleyes1. General theory is that the closer you are to the waterline, the less of this motion you will encounter (has to do with the ship's center-of-gravity, but I would get overly technical).

Anyway, if you are at all concerned about motion sickness, talk to your doctor, or you can also do a search on the boards here for peoples experience and what they do to address motion sickness. There are a lot of opinions. I'm unable to help in that area.

Happy Sailing!

The side of the ship has never mattered to us. Starboard or Port side both have advantages, all depending on where you dock, and if you go in forward or backward.

As for motion sickness, it is said that the higher up you are, the more you feel it, and I do find this to be true. We have stayed on Decks, 2, 5, 6 and 7, and definitely felt less motion on Deck 2. Mid ship is also better.

I would purchase some seasick medication in advance, to be on the safe side. We purchase Bonine, and my FIL takes it starting the day before we get on the ship, and daily after that, and is SUPER sensitive to motion, and this always works for him.

Unless there are 5 of you, you don't need to waste your money on a "deluxe family stateroom." That's cat 4. Cat 4 is literally 3 feet longer than a cat 5-10, and that's to allow the murphy bed to drop down. It is a HUGE waste of money.

If you're concerned about space, you'd have a lot more by booking 2 cabins even though you'd pay adult rates for your child. Depending on dates, it can even be cheaper to book 2 cabins than to book a cat 4. You could do a 7 with an 11 across the hall This gives you double the closet space, floor space, TVs, etc. A cat 4 only gives you 3 feet length of floor space.

Higher vs. lower is minimal difference. Many people prefer Starboard because that side normally faces the island at Castaway and faces the fireworks. On other islands, it's had to predict whether you'll face the island or the dock...and it really doesn't matter. On the down side, Starboard is the smoking side on decks 4,9, and 10 (these are outdoor spaces, no cabins).

Wow! You all gave me lots to think about!

I agree that we don't need the extra space of the bigger room.

2 rooms would be more expensive since we're going to be on the ship for Spring Break.

Question -- we are very smoke-sensitive -- can you smell the smoke if you are on deck 7 or 6 and are out on your balcony?

I like the idea of being on the starboard side of the ship, but not if it's all smoky. That will just increase my queasiness about 1,000 times over.

I do plan on getting meds from my doctor for this trip, since I know I'll be the one person who feels the motion (I always am).

Also, are the upper beds safe? Just wondering how comfortable I will be putting my DD up there (she is 12, so not too small) with the ship moving around... That's why we were considering the larger cabin...

TIA!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter