Question about borrowing points and then banking

sgrap

DIS Veteran
Newbie member question . . . we have Dec. UY. If we borrow 2016 points for a 2015 UY reservation, but then end up cancelling that reservation, do those borrowed points still stay 2015 points? And can we bank those points? I know I have read all this, but it is a muddled mess in my brain. ;)

Last edited:
Newbie member question . . . we have Dec. UY. If we borrow 2017 points for a 2016 reservation, but then end up cancelling that reservation, do those borrowed points still stay 2016 points? And can we bank those points? I know I have read all this, but it is a muddled mess in my brain. ;)

Borrowed points always remain in the year borrowed into and cannot be banked.

With a December use year, the only dates in 2016 you could borrow 2017 points for would be 12/1/16 to 12/31/16 (your 2016 use year is 12/1/16 to 11/30/17).

You can't bank the borrowed points but you can bank the regular points for that UY.

:earsboy: Bill

With a December use year, the only dates in 2016 you could borrow 2017 points for would be 12/1/16 to 12/31/16 (your 2016 use year is 12/1/16 to 11/30/17).
OK, I get that, but let's say for a stay in May 2016, I could use my 2015 UY points, and then borrow from from 2016 UY points, right?
Thanks!

Last edited:

You can't bank the borrowed points but you can bank the regular points for that UY.

OK, thanks! And I gather I could differentiate between the points and ask that my regular points be banked? Trying to figure out if we want to make a reservation for a big group 11 months out when we don't really know if it will come together or not. I'm thinking if we reserve more than one room, even if we don't take a big group, we could just cancel one room and keep another (versus reserving like a grand villa or something). Now, to book more than 1 room, I just need to put a different name on it? Can my husband be on one and me on another if we have the same member #?

OK, I get that, but let's say for a stay in May 2016, I could use my 2016 UY points, and then borrow from from 2017 UY points, right?
Thanks!

Wrong, in May 2016 you will be in your 2015 UY.

OK, I get that, but let's say for a stay in May 2016, I could use my 2016 UY points, and then borrow from from 2017 UY points, right?
Thanks!

Not with a December UY. May 2016 is in 2015 UY so you would need to use 2015 points and borrow from 2016.

Wrong, in May 2016 you will be in your 2015 UY.

Oh yeah, I am obviously too tired to be trying to figure this out tonight! But I would use my 2015 points and borrow from my 2016 points. We got a fully loaded contract, so we have 2014 points to use and are thinking about our 2015 points. :goodvibes

OK, thanks! And I gather I could differentiate between the points and ask that my regular points be banked? Trying to figure out if we want to make a reservation for a big group 11 months out when we don't really know if it will come together or not. I'm thinking if we reserve more than one room, even if we don't take a big group, we could just cancel one room and keep another (versus reserving like a grand villa or something). Now, to book more than 1 room, I just need to put a different name on it? Can my husband be on one and me on another if we have the same member #?

You need to cancel during the 1st 8 months of your UY to be able to bank. Booking online you can use the same names on both reservations, MS may require different names.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter