Question about banking points August UY

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
We are in the process of buying a resale contract with an August use year. We will get 204 points from 2015 and 220 starting with August 2016.

We do not want to vacation until November 2016 but want to book as soon as the deal goes through. Since we will be booking before the August 2016 points are loaded, we'll be using the August 2015 points (204). However, I am not 100% sure about the banking process and timeline as I'm reading conflicting information online.

In Disney's literature, it states we must bank points at least four months prior to the end of the use year. So with an August UY I'm reading this as we must bank our 2015 points by April. Link to Disney banking rules doc:
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/points/Banking_rules_final.pdf

However, we also read something on *********** that has a calendar which indicates we must bank the 2015 points by the end of January 2016 to rollover 100% of them. Link:
http://*********** .com/BankingBorrowing.html

We don't think the transaction will be complete by the end of January in which case we would not officially be members so we would not have the ability to bank the 204 points from Aug '15 in time. Is that right? Or do we have until April '16 to bank 100% of the 204 points from Aug '15?

Just curious if we need to (as part of the sales transaction) have the current owner bank the points.

Any input or clarification is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
The above information is outdated.

The current banking deadlines are:
2008bankingchart.gif

But, yes, you'll need to bank before you book if you want to use the 2015 points for your November trip.

Great idea to bank the 2015 points and use those for November 2016.

But...

We do not want to vacation until November 2016 but want to book as soon as the deal goes through. Since we will be booking before the August 2016 points are loaded, we'll be using the August 2015 points

Those points will be sitting there in your account. I look in my account and I have 2015 and 2016 sitting there, staring at me. (0 for 2015 and 101 left of 2016, but still, they are there)

Once you can book for November 2016, you could use those 2016 UY points for your vacation. You don't have to be inside of the actual UY to use them. For instance, checking in my DVC account, I see "Currently, you may request a reservation at your Home Resort(s) for vacations that have a check-in date on or before October 24, 2016, based upon availability". (this is not special to me, it would be so for any member) I have a Feb Use Year. I could, if I felt like it, pull (borrow) my 2017 UY points into the 2016 UY and use those, right now, to book a trip at my home resort starting Oct 24, 2016.

In your case, it's great to bank and use the 2015, so don't let me confuse you for this trip, but if they didn't exist, you could use the 2016 points. Wouldn't even have to bank or borrow them, as they are THE use year for that November trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter