Question about annual passes as well as Tables of Wonderland

We struggled with APs vs buying discount packages like FD for our family too. We finally made the jump to APs and the TIW card for our family of 2 adults and a 10 year old and have LOVED IT! We find we don't feel so pressured to make a ton of ressies for food that eat up our play time like when we had FD and felt the need to use what we got for free. The TIW card is wonderful and we have yet to go anywhere this year that is blacked out. Maybe it's luck but so far so good. Yes, it doesn't apply to many quick service places but it is a huge savings if you do a sit down meal. It pays for the tip basically. We easily gained our TIW fee back the first small trip we used it on and the rest was all savings when we returned several smaller trips. The other benefit of not using a dining plan to me was being able to shop for great room only discounts. I have used certain travel agencies that have super great deals on rooms at places like the Poly and Wilderness lodge and saved a ton. I have also used Orbitz for a few trips and saved up to 65% off a club level room at the Poly last Thanksgiving week. So, I do feel good about saving still even though it's not Free Dining...and believe me I was a FD junkie for years! Ha! Hard to get out of that mindset but when using APs it's a whole different game!! Anyway...have fun and enjoy!! You will love your APs!! We are renewing ours very soon!

I love TiW. Works AWESOME for me. In years I buy an AP - I know I am going to spend enough days at Disney to cover the cost of purchasing it. 10 days at $50. If there is 2 of you eating at least one TS meal per day - and some of those are signature or character meals - that's all you need. Now - I did see those new blackout dates when I bought it most recently - and if two of your trips are in those June black-out dates - unless you aren't using it at those places - you probably need to run the numbers. Since the only one I typically visit is Chef Mickey's - I'd still probably buy it with June trips planned.

Looking at their official website to find out blockout dates and for what restaurants is a great start.

Looking here helps figure out if your plans mesh with using TIW or just using the AP discount. Maybe the first trip's plans are too blocked out for TIW to make sense but the next trips will work. So, buy it on the second trip. You have to have the AP to buy it, but an AP can expire while you have the TIW and the TIW is still usable.

Looking at their official website to find out blockout dates and for what restaurants is a great start.

Looking here helps figure out if your plans mesh with using TIW or just using the AP discount. Maybe the first trip's plans are too blocked out for TIW to make sense but the next trips will work. So, buy it on the second trip. You have to have the AP to buy it, but an AP can expire while you have the TIW and the TIW is still usable.

I've done this. Not bought because I was getting the DDP, then the next trip I bought it, therefore not wasting all those months.

Just as a side note - the TIW, at least as of the last time I bought it, is good for 13 months.

Just as a side note - the TIW, at least as of the last time I bought it, is good for 13 months.
This was my question. If I wait to purchase TIW on January 6, 2016 would it be valid until January 31, 2017?

And if staying at Poly is the closest place to purchase one at Guest Relations outside MK?

This was my question. If I wait to purchase TIW on January 6, 2016 would it be valid until January 31, 2017?

And if staying at Poly is the closest place to purchase one at Guest Relations outside MK?

If I remember correctly the TIW is good for AT LEAST 13 months. If you buy it on January 6th, 2016 I think it will be good until February 28, 2017.

Unless and until they eliminate being able to buy TIW by mail, it should be good to the end of the month following when you bought it (the next year). That extra time is out in there to cover mailing time, because the cards are "live" when mailed.

If they stop the purchase method, they won't need to have that extra time any longer.

The problem with upgrading to AP when I get there is I am getting the 35% AP rate as long as I purchase APs by April 22, our 45 days out. There are no other offers out for my dates anymore.

Does anyone know it the TiW works on the special event meals like the Star Wars dinner at H&V and breakfast at SciFi?

TIW has been a lot better than the DDP for us. We used to always do deluxe dining, but we found it's not worth it anymore. We save a lot more with TIW, and the discount includes alcohol.

The official word is that no discounts are available for the Star Wars weekend character meals. Some people did get a Disney Visa discount at H&V last year, but I would not count on it.

I LOVE TIW. It works great for me. Keep in mind that you don't really save money with the DDP, it is just there for convenience. With the TIW, you can definitely save money if you eat at enough table service locations. There are also several counter service locations it is good at as well (some Animal Kingdom locations, value resort food courts, etc.)

As another poster stated, I feel much more in control with TIW. I feel obligated to get my money's worth with DDP and it is way too much food for hubby and I. With TIW, I can choose to get an appetizer and a drink and I still get the discount.

The June blackout dates are only for a few restaurants, not all of them, so definitely check out the website.

The problem with upgrading to AP when I get there is I am getting the 35% AP rate as long as I purchase APs by April 22, our 45 days out. There are no other offers out for my dates anymore.

Does anyone know it the TiW works on the special event meals like the Star Wars dinner at H&V and breakfast at SciFi?

I've never heard of needing an AP at 45 days out....You need to show an AP at check in. Last trip we swung by downtown Disney, picked up the AP's, then checked in. I believe you even have until that night, just get the passes and go back to the desk to show them.

I've never heard of needing an AP at 45 days out....You need to show an AP at check in. Last trip we swung by downtown Disney, picked up the AP's, then checked in. I believe you even have until that night, just get the passes and go back to the desk to show them.
thanks!

Sorry, another question. If I put my AP with the reservation but the APs are not activated yet, can I make FP+s? Right now it says no tickets are linked to our account so does this mean I cannot make FP+s until the first day I activate the APs?

There is a dining plan calculator (seeyourealsoon) out there that can tell you if TIW or the dining plan, or paying OOP, is a better deal. For our upcoming trip TIW is cheaper than adding on the dining plan. But we are going before the TIW black out dates.

Sorry, another question. If I put my AP with the reservation but the APs are not activated yet, can I make FP+s? Right now it says no tickets are linked to our account so does this mean I cannot make FP+s until the first day I activate the APs?
Have you bought it yet? I bought mine, it is not activated until we arrive next month. I made my FP no problem. Does the AP show on your MDE?

Tables in Wonderland is not accepted for special events.

They should give you a confirmation number when you buy or renew the AP. You can use that number to link to MDX and it will work for FPs.

I would think the TTC would be the closest location, right next door.

I would think the TTC would be the closest location, right next door.

That's correct.

Poly-TTC-Basic_050614_zpsc1d566cb.jpg

Have you bought it yet? I bought mine, it is not activated until we arrive next month. I made my FP no problem. Does the AP show on your MDE?
no, I will be buying it in a few days once we decide. My reservation is showing on MDE, so once we buy the AP it will then allow me to get FP+? Hopefully there will still be some available by the time we do this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter