Question about annual passes and getting rooms with % off

victory-rc

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of buying the annual passes for 2011 (4 people) and flying down as often as possible during the year.

How do I go about getting my discount on the resort room,I think its %30, correct ?

It doesnt look like I can do this online at disneyworld.com ....I will only be able to do this over the phone I guess?

I would think the "value season " with annual pass discounts would be a nice price.

Its kinda hard to beat the online reservations,the package for disney dinning,tickets and air during those days available ....with airfare even.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup2

Annual pass holders can book discounted rooms on Disneyworld.com using the Passholders section of the website. However, you can only book a discounted room when a discount is actually offered. A 30% discount for AP holders is never guaranteed.

Lately unless you book out a few months, it's hard to get a room. We used to book the week before, now it seems, even if there's rooms, they may not be for passholders.

There is a dining plan available for Annual Passholders if you are interested in that, obviously with no requirement to buy tickets

As others have stated, you just go into the Passholder's section and book your rooms - or have your TA do it:goodvibes. I am a TA and my mom has an AP. I found for late Aug/Sept (the current AP discount promo), the rates were ALMOST as good as my TA rates!!! You can usually expect discounts late Aug/Sep and perhaps early Dec and May. Hope this helps.

Annual pass holders can book discounted rooms on Disneyworld.com using the Passholders section of the website. However, you can only book a discounted room when a discount is actually offered. A 30% discount for AP holders is never guaranteed.

no guarantee on room rates .... that makes me stay away from the annual passes.

Im looking at the offer for free disney dinning (december 10 to 16th) at coronado springs and $900 a person for the entire 7 day package including air is very nice.

Im trying to find a real reason to buy annual passes and explain it to the wife on "savings". unless I buy a "package" the rates dont seem to go down.

no guarantee on room rates .... that makes me stay away from the annual passes.

Im looking at the offer for free disney dinning (december 10 to 16th) at coronado springs and $900 a person for the entire 7 day package including air is very nice.

Im trying to find a real reason to buy annual passes and explain it to the wife on "savings". unless I buy a "package" the rates dont seem to go down.

You can book a package, then use the tickets from the package towards the purchase of an AP, if you really want an AP.

You can book a package, then use the tickets from the package towards the purchase of an AP, if you really want an AP.

That does sound good,then use the annual pass section (disneyworld.com)for any discounts I guess. ...but no guarantee on discounts I guess. :sad2:

The only thing you are guaranteed with an AP is admission to the parks for 365 days. ;)

However, if you get a package, just apply the tickets to the cost of the AP.

Also know that the % off will often vary based on resort category.

Right now, discounts are being offered through 10/2. If they are going to offer anything for Oct/Nov/Dec we probably won't see that until late Aug/early Sept. :confused3

Other advantage to getting an AP is that it qualifies you to purchase the TiW card... 20% off food & beverage (including alcohol) at nearly all table service locations for up to 10 people. We MUCH prefer TiW to DDP. Card is $75 for 1 year (typically expiration is the end of the month AFTER the 1 year so you really end up getting 13 months) so break even point is $375, everything after that is savings.

You only need 1 AP to qualify for discounts.

That does sound good,then use the annual pass section (disneyworld.com)for any discounts I guess. ...but no guarantee on discounts I guess. :sad2:

Nope, never count on ANY discounts...room, dining or merchandise...with an annual pass. As the PP said, you buy it to get a year's worth of park admission. Any other perks are offered at Disney's discretion.

Even if an AP discount on lodging is offered, it may not apply to the resort or room type you want. AP discounts are given on resorts/room types that are not booking well enough for Disney's needs, and there are only a limited number of rooms available for the discount. When the quota is reached for that resort or room type, the discount is gone.

Also know that the % off will often vary based on resort category.

Right now, discounts are being offered through 10/2. If they are going to offer anything for Oct/Nov/Dec we probably won't see that until late Aug/early Sept. :confused3

Other advantage to getting an AP is that it qualifies you to purchase the TiW card... 20% off food & beverage (including alcohol) at nearly all table service locations for up to 10 people. We MUCH prefer TiW to DDP. Card is $75 for 1 year (typically expiration is the end of the month AFTER the 1 year so you really end up getting 13 months) so break even point is $375, everything after that is savings.

You only need 1 AP to qualify for discounts.

I mention december for the disney dinning plan ----> http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....dine&int_CMP=WDW_Homepage_fy10q4dineOfferTile

With special plans like these it gives a price of about $800 a person (4 people)for tickets hotel and air,and food. for the week. (december at coronado)

these are nice trips I think (with tickets) and I just wonder how a annual pass could be better.:surfweb:

I'd echo what others have said previously, but would add a few things:

- We happen to have an AP this year, and we also have a Disney Rewards Visa card. It seems to us that we've actually received discount offers first because we're Visa holders, followed shortly by the same offer for AP holders, or even on the same day. After a few days or weeks, those offers have been opened up for everyone. But my comparison for this only goes for this year, as this has been our first time buying AP's. Your mileage may vary.

- We didn't want to wait to see if a 40% discount would come for our trip to WL this fall, so we went ahead and booked WL this spring for our fall trip using the bounceback 40% off deal, while we stayed at POFQ then. Lucky for us, nothing better than 40% off has come along.

- Even if you don't get discounts off the resort stay, the AP's definitely save you money over buying MYW tickets for more than 10 days. If you're staying for 2 weeks during a year, an AP is a no-brainer, even if there were no other discounts at all.

- There are often discounts on shopping in the Disney gift shops. We got discounts of anywhere between 5% and 25% just by showing the cashiers the AP cards. That added up to a nice savings by the end of the trip. No doubt these discounts vary or might go away, but they're nice if they are there. We tried to get discounts off some of our dining using the AP's, but those didn't seem to be offered during the times we were eating. It never hurts to ask, though.

OP - what is your motivation in getting an AP? You may be right and the December free dining offer may be a better deal for you. But you seem to want that AP - is it to go back again within a year? Because if so, then you have to factor that in to your calculations as well?

You don't have to answer - just trying to understand the whole situation!

sorry,I have alot to learn here.

You have a good point on the room rates,its more then just that.

I would like to get 2 or 3 trips in 2011. making a annual pass the choice to make.

I still wonder what the rate would be with a annual pass from the "passholders" link at disneyworld.com,next to the park pass the room rate is very important.

sorry,I have alot to learn here.

You have a good point on the room rates,its more then just that.

I would like to get 2 or 3 trips in 2011. making a annual pass the choice to make.

I still wonder what the rate would be with a annual pass from the "passholders" link at disneyworld.com,next to the park pass the room rate is very important.

As I unfortunately discovered, to use that site you will need your AP's in hand to log in to that section of the site. They want your AP number. People might post what discounts are available in threads on here, though.

I mention december for the disney dinning plan ----> http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....dine&int_CMP=WDW_Homepage_fy10q4dineOfferTile

With special plans like these it gives a price of about $800 a person (4 people)for tickets hotel and air,and food. for the week. (december at coronado)

these are nice trips I think (with tickets) and I just wonder how a annual pass could be better.:surfweb:
That's only if you want free dining. I don't like the dining plan; I'd prefer the TiW and get 20% off food (including appetizers if I want one) and alcohol at TS places.

And the numbers work if you have 4 people. I travel with at most one other person, and sometimes solo.

Also, remember that the "savings" they give you assume that you would pay rack rate and buy the dining plan. Then you save. But if you had a good room discount, perhaps at a deluxe, it's often a better deal than rack rate with free dining. It often comes out cheaper to book the discounted room and pay for dining if you want it.

That's how an AP can be better.

I have lots to learn LOL

ok,I need to ask what is " TIW" :surfweb:
TiW is "Tables in Wonderland." It costs $75 for AP holders, and expires on the last day of the month you bought it. They do add an 18% tip, but since that's what I tip anyway, it's not an issue. And there is no problem with getting poor service because the tip is added, because you just give the server the TiW card when you ask for the check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter