Question about a recipe

H

Harley Chick

I picked up a recipe off the web that I plan to make for a St. Patty's Day party. It's really simple:

1 pkg. white cake mix
3 T. creme de menthe
1 16 oz. chocolate syrup
1 8 oz cool whip mixed with 2 T creme de menthe.

The recipe says to poke holes in the cake while it's still hot and pour the chocolate syrup on top of it. Will this make the cake mushy? DH has this "texture" thing where he won't eat anything mushy. I'm hoping it will just put pockets of chocolate in the cake, but since the cake is hot, I'm thinking it might seep out and saturate the cake.

Does anybody know?
Thanks.

I guess I'd be tempted to try hot fudge instead of syrup. It's a little thicker and might not make the cake so mushy. I think you're right though. I think it would make the cake mushy too.

The other think you can try is chocolate pudding instead of chocolate syrup. Before the pudding sets you pour it onto the warm cake with holes in it.

Oh my gosh Harley Chick,

I had completely forgotten about Creme De Menthe cake! My Aunt in Minnesota made
it for us probably about 25 years ago. She used a layer of chocolate fudge ready made
frosting over the cake... (no holes) then added the cool whip on top. YUM! I might just have to make that on Saturday. Thanks for reminding me!

Party Teacher

I have this recipe but mine does not say to poke holes in the cake. I buy a can of Hershey's chocolate fudge topping (which is very thick). I spread it over the top of the cake that has been baked and cooled.

Thanks everyone. I made the cake (and a couple of "test" cupcakes) and it came out great. I decided not to poke holes in the cake, and I used chocolate pudding instead of chocolate syrup. I guess it's not the same recipe, but it's still really good! Thanks for all of your suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter