Quest for the crafty - where do you get fabrics?

RichNKatHolly

DIS Veteran
I need to make a few table runners and don't know where to turn for fabrics. I don't have a Joanns nearby and was wondering where you guys purchase from. I don't want to spend a ton either.

Oh, and what I have in mind is probably impossible to find so I need someplace with a HUGE inventory. LOL

Thanks so much! :goodvibes

I need to make a few table runners and don't know where to turn for fabrics. I don't have a Joanns nearby and was wondering where you guys purchase from. I don't want to spend a ton either.

Oh, and what I have in mind is probably impossible to find so I need someplace with a HUGE inventory. LOL

Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Well if you need a huge inventory you might want to take a drive to a Joann's or a Hancock Fabrics.

Some Walmarts also have fabrics.

Liz

Another one is Hobby Lobby, they sell fabric. JoAnn Fabric and Hancock Fabric also have websites, I know some people actually purchase their fabric online, but I like to see it in person.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=wwu2009

If you look in your local phone book you may also find places that sell upholstery fabric, I prefer to work with this as it gives a "richer" look. Regular fabric, in some cases, will require you to use a stiffening agent like heat bond or the sew in interfacing to make the fabric feel more substantial.

You might head over the the disboutique thread in the families section. There are lots of links in the very first post, and some are fabric stores.

Thanks all! I'll be following all advice right away. I don't have a Joann's or Hancocks nearby but will check out online. I think I would want to see it in person though - but just for a runner, maybe I wouldn't have to.

I will look into upholstery fabric too and check out the other Dis thread! Thanks again!!!!

If you are open to ordering fabric I can send you some internet sites to shop from-
Took me awhile to do so myself- I like to actually touch fabric before I buy however once I needed a very specific themed fabric and I was hoping for a specific color combination- I ordered online and had good experience- I still don't order constantly online but I will again if I am in need of a specific type - Good Luck!

If you are open to ordering fabric I can send you some internet sites to shop from-
Took me awhile to do so myself- I like to actually touch fabric before I buy however once I needed a very specific themed fabric and I was hoping for a specific color combination- I ordered online and had good experience- I still don't order constantly online but I will again if I am in need of a specific type - Good Luck!

If you wouldn't mind, I would love the links. Not much in terms of fabric shopping here - and I don't really want to run into the city. Thanks!

One of the local Walmarts has TONS in their dept and it is CHEAP, with many sale tables piled high!!

Good Luck!

Have you tried voguefabricsstore.com? They have a great selection and you can order swatches for a $1

princess: Isabella-6
princess: Charlotte-3

Try a quilt store - they have a ton of fabric and from what I have seen, it is not that much different that other fabric stores $wise.

I just placed a big order with fabric.com. If you spend $35 it is free shipping and if you use code 3TRY8 by 1/24 you get an extra 25% off. Good luck!

Depending on where you are in NJ, you can always trek into Manhattan and hit 35th street. You're bound to find something there.

My sister makes quilts and goes to Thrift stores to buy soft shirts, blankets, ect that she uses in making them. She has also found fabric at them.

I don't know what you are making but maybe this is an option?

If you're open to online - ebay is great for fabric! I wanted to recover my kitchen chairs & had an idea of the type of look I wanted but that's it. I searched a lot & found one I loved. It was just as shown & I've gotten compliments on it.

Some pro sellers there have pretty specific descriptions so I felt ok ordering without seeing it in person.

This is a bit of a plug, but I work for Calico Corners (at their HQ), and they are having a sale right now - clearance on fabrics (good quality, too) as well as a "buy more/save more" sale.

You don't say where in Jersey you are, but we have quite a few stores there, plus you can buy fabric online.

Thanks everyone! sorry, I was away from the computer all yesterday afternoon and evening but thank you for the great ideas.

I'm going to try all these options today and worst case is I will go to Manhattan one afternoon - that is the one I've been trying to avoid. It's COLD out there! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter