Quarterly drug testing of state employees in Florida

Military and DOD civilians are tested randomly. Not a big deal and randomly means sometimes people get tested two or three times in a six month period. Other government agencies can and do test. So, why wouldn't a state gov? When you become a government employee you give consent for things that most people don't have to such as monitoring of your computer and internet use. Tests don't pick up poppy seeds anymore. They're much more sensitive.

I have a real issue when someone brings up "in the privacy of your own home" about something that is illegal. It goes beyond that. It's about access to personal and private info that a lot of government agencies have. I've seen what drug use can do to people in jobs with that kind of access.

DOD employees who have access to classified information also have their finances monitored. They have started firing people who are in significant debt (that isn't related to health or accident causes) because they are vulnerable to bribery. This is logical. Working for the government isn't a right. If you don't like it get another job.

I have a real issue when someone brings up "in the privacy of your own home" about something that is illegal. It goes beyond that. It's about access to personal and private info that a lot of government agencies have. I've seen what drug use can do to people in jobs with that kind of access.

Me too - thats why I said drug test for cause. If you think someone is high at work - test em.

But someone who works everyday and is a good employee but does recreational drugs off the clock? I just cant get why I would want that person to be fired.

Everyone I know who voted for him is still cautiously optimistic. Government unions and pensions are not sustainable. There should be hazard pay for police and firefighters but it should be paid at the time either higher wages or contributions to 401k type plans. The taxpayers should not have to subsidize the rest of someones life just because they chose to work for the government. I don't think 65 year old cops should be working a beat but I also don't think taxpayers should pay a pension for someone to retire at 45 and then live till 85.

agreed that something needs to be done. In a down/struggling economy, everyone needs to make some sacrifices to make sure we get through it. While our elected officials are mulling over how much to cut from the pensions of teachers/police/etc, perhaps they should also look at their own pensions and begin there, since they seem to have a nice, super-cushy one for themselves.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/20/commentary/wastler/wastler/index.htm

Me too - thats why I said drug test for cause. If you think someone is high at work - test em.

But someone who works everyday and is a good employee but does recreational drugs off the clock? I just cant get why I would want that person to be fired.

Anyone who engages in illegal activity is subject to being blackmailed. I don't want anyone who has access to my social security number or to military secrets to be easily compromised. If you want to smile pot don't work for the government. Simple.

Everyone I know who voted for him is still cautiously optimistic. Government unions and pensions are not sustainable. There should be hazard pay for police and firefighters but it should be paid at the time either higher wages or contributions to 401k type plans. The taxpayers should not have to subsidize the rest of someones life just because they chose to work for the government. I don't think 65 year old cops should be working a beat but I also don't think taxpayers should pay a pension for someone to retire at 45 and then live till 85.

I'm sorry. You are going to lose this battle one way or another. The system can't continue as it is. You also have to understand that you surround yourself with people who are sympathetic to your cause. Just because everyone you know supports you doesn't mean that most taxpayers do. It means other firefighters and there families and friends do. Of course they do! LOL! Btw I am NOT a republican.

The reason they have them retire early is because that work is super hard on someones health and most will not live to 85....but what would everyone else do when cops and firefighters quit and do something else because they are not able to take care of their familys on low pay and no raises?

I'm for pretesting. Random, I'm not sure. I was in a job for seven years that required I be prepared for random testing. It was a pain. We lost some people because of it. Has the State of Florida had a drug scandal? What is the reason for this big, new policy?

agreed that something needs to be done. In a down/struggling economy, everyone needs to make some sacrifices to make sure we get through it. While our elected officials are mulling over how much to cut from the pensions of teachers/police/etc, perhaps they should also look at their own pensions and begin there, since they seem to have a nice, super-cushy one for themselves.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/20/commentary/wastler/wastler/index.htm

Agreed. I didn't read the article so I don't know how they spin it but I believe in term limits and NO pensions for politicians since it shouldn't be a lifetime career to live off the taxpayers. Politicians should also have to wait five years before they can become lobbyists or have a member of their family as a lobbyist. THAT is really were all the money is at, let me get cozy with all these politicians then go to work for a company asking favors from all my old friends. That should be illegal as heck!

Agreed. I didn't read the article so I don't know how they spin it but I believe in term limits and NO pensions for politicians since it shouldn't be a lifetime career to live off the taxpayers. Politicians should also have to wait five years before they can become lobbyists or have a member of their family as a lobbyist. THAT is really were all the money is at, let me get cozy with all these politicians then go to work for a company asking favors from all my old friends. That should be illegal as heck!

if you're bored, here's a pdf sheet from senate.gov that lays is all out as well.... the other link parsed it down to a 'cliffs notes' version.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/retirement.pdf

The reason they have them retire early is because that work is super hard on someones health and most will not live to 85....but what would everyone else do when cops and firefighters quit and do something else because they are not able to take care of their familys on low pay and no raises?

You didn't read what I wrote. People who work in dangerous public service should be compensated to a similar degree that people who work dangerous private sector jobs do. BUT that compensation should be immediate either through higher wages or through immediate cash contributions to their 401k type plans. The government does not put aside money as it goes for pensions just as they don't for social security. They are just kicking that can down the road for our kids to open and find nothing but worms! If I was in these jobs I would want my cash now! It is not that the government is being stingy it is that these pension plans are a pyramid scheme and you are getting taken!

Whatever the city or state can give you today in terms of recompense is solid, what they promise you 20 years from now is nothing but words and no matter what your union bosses tell you the government can always change the rules. A BIRD IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN THE BUSH.

While I'm all for random drug testing (if you don't have anything to hide, who cares), it must be expensive. We're cutting HUGE amounts from education but we can afford this? Doesn't make sense.

I'm for pretesting. Random, I'm not sure. I was in a job for seven years that required I be prepared for random testing. It was a pain. We lost some people because of it. Has the State of Florida had a drug scandal? What is the reason for this big, new policy?

How is it a pain to pee in a cup? Why do you have to be "prepared"? If any state employees want to leave I'm sure they won't have a hard time filling the position! LOL.

While I'm all for random drug testing (if you don't have anything to hide, who cares), it must be expensive. We're cutting HUGE amounts from education but we can afford this? Doesn't make sense.

While I don't support quarterly testing I think we could save big bucks by being able to fire incompetent employees. You can't really fire government workers for doing a bad job so if we luck out and just a fraction of the slackers are also potheads (how likely is that:rotfl:) we could be on to something here.

Not quarterly though, just random with supervisors being able to make specific suggestions. Ahem. Like that guy who spends half the day asleep at his desk.

Heard on the news that this move is unconsitutional in the state of Florida. I don't know any details, but he will be challenged on it.

I thought politics was not allowed. :confused3

Clearly you are confused. It's only certain opinions that are allowed.

For example, if I were to post that I disagree with this, and that I find the idea of requiring people to pay for a test before they can feed their children abhorent, that would be politics, and I would likely get points.

However, if I were to, for some reason, lie and say that I agree with the posters here, or maybe not even say it but merely signify it with a little dancing smily of some sort that would be acceptable.

He needs to be reminded, quite often in fact, that he did not win by a landslide and it was a very close race. I would suggest if you want to know what else he's doing (or want's to do) you read up in some of our local papers :scared1:. Random drug testing every quarter is a huge waste of tax dollars and I am not for it. We have very high unemployment and with the shuttle winding down it's going to be worse. We need the money for jobs.

Rick Scott also has a large financial interest in a company called Solantic... which runs clinics that do....

wait for it.....

drug testing.

Coincidence? i think not.

One of the country's largest drug manufacturers is offering a $1 million donation to help pay for a prescription database to combat Florida's illegal trade in painkillers. But with the future of the database now in doubt in Tallahassee, the state is not likely to accept the offer from the maker of OxyContin.

Gov. Rick Scott, who wants to do away with the database altogether, said he's not interested in the money.

Two years ago, the state Legislature overwhelmingly approved the creation of a statewide prescription drug monitoring program to try to curb an epidemic of drug overdoses and narcotics trafficking spawned by storefront pain clinics, most of them in South Florida. The database would allow physicians and investigators to identify "doctor shopping" patients who go from doctor to doctor to obtain prescriptions for potent painkillers such as oxycodone.

When lawmakers approved the prescription database in 2009, they set aside no state money for it. Instead, state officials established a private foundation to receive donations to cover the costs. Through December, the foundation had collected $500,000 in donations, while also qualifying for another $800,000 in federal grants.

But Scott and others in the state capital now want to kill the database, saying it's a needless intrusion on patients' privacy. Scott has already eliminated the office that was raising money for the database.

The threats from Tallahassee prompted Purdue Pharma — the maker of the well-known time-released painkiller containing oxycodone — to offer $1 million to help pay for the database. The money would cover the operating costs of the database for two years.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...oxycontin-maker-to-fund-drug-database/1156289

It just keeps getting better...if drugs are such a serious problem, why doesn't Rick Scott want the prescription drug database? People come from ALL OVER THE COUNTRY to visit the Florida pill mills.

This is turning into an apples/oranges debate once you bring in politics and salaries, etc..

To the original issue, I support drug testing by any employer. Every employer has the right to expect employees to come to work clean of drugs, including alcohol. The nature of the work has some bearing on justification, but even clerical workers fall under the liability umbrella. Testing is an expense that more and more companies are willing to pay so I have to think there is enough justification for the expense. I'm a bit puzzled by the comments that welfare recipients should be tested, but not state employees. They are both paid with tax dollars. You can try to rationalize it, but a doper is a doper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter