Quarantine insurance

Jetpilot7777

Earning My Ears
Hey folks, wondering if any of you might be able to shed some light on this topic. we’re planning a 7 day trip from Vancouver down to Disney in late October.
I think we have the testing all figured out, thanks to all the great advise on this board but to relieve a bit of anxiety, if forbid we did have a positive result before our return do any of you have recommendations on Covid insurance which would cover the hotel stay required for quarantine before our return? Looks like manulife is no longer covering this (at least for trip of this duration) I did see WestJet has some complimentary coverage?

Any help sending me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

I go through Squaremouth.com https://www.squaremouth.com/ to buy Travel Insurance. I hope that website is okay to mention here. They have great insurance and great prices and most of it will cover COVID cancellation. Just look at the many options they show you for different companies and policies and pick what will work for you. Most everyone provides COVID cancellation. Surprisingly, most insurance companies WILL NOT cover many other typical reasons for cancellation. Such as military deployment, job changes, and things like that. So look carefully at what they DO cover, and if your likely situation is not listed, then you won't get it. OR, buy a policy that covers 'Cancellation for ANY reason.' Those policies do cost more.

Also, be very aware that, most important of all, they ONLY cover Non-Refundable expenses. When you buy Travel Insurance, and they ask how much the trip costs, ONLY LIST THE AMOUNT THAT YOU CAN'T GET BACK IN REFUNDS, since that is all they are going to pay. This is often very useful, however, if you have booked a discount PACKAGE TOUR that says up front that there are no refunds.

If your plane or hotel will refund your money, they won't cover it. And many airlines are currently issuing a refund for COVID. If your plane will not refund your money but will say that you can use your 'ticket money' on another flight, then you might be able to get a payment from the insurance, but you will have to certify and promise that you will not use the flight credit on another flight. It gets a bit complicated.

If you are staying somewhere on DVC points, they will not refund any money for that, as far as I am aware. If you are flying on Sky Miles or Flight Points or a Comp Certificate, they won't refund money for that, either.

So, for a standard trip, where you can get your money back from the airlines and your hotel deposit back, the travel insurance will not refund you much money. HOWEVER, I still, almost always get Travel Insurance, just for the MEDICAL COVERAGE. If you are travelling and you get really sick, like with COVID, and have to go into the hospital, or if you fall and break your back, or if you have a heart attack, then you need to know that in many cases your home insurance will not pay for it. This sometimes applies to other states, but your standard insurance is ESPECIALLY unlikely to pay for it in another country or on a cruise.

Our family has scheduled a trip to Europe next spring. We are going to go to Disneyland Paris, and then Rome and take a cruise from there. Most of it is currently refundable, including plane fare, which we have booked. And hotel charges. But the cruise becomes Non-Refundable in a few months before sailing so I listed that, AND, I am very concerned about potential medical problems. The cost of insurance was minimal for the potential benefits.

I was on a trip to Alaska one time and my wife broke a tooth, very painfully. It needed a root canal. The insurance paid for it. On a trip to Disneyland one time, I needed a root canal. They paid for that, too, no problems. I just had to have the dentist certify that it was a dental emergency. (We used a 24 hour Dental service in Los Angeles area. Alaska was harder to get help. In many towns, dentists only travel through every few weeks.)

One time we had a family trip scheduled to Europe. It was a package tour, non-refundable. My daughter had an unexpected pregnancy after we booked, and couldn't go. My wife and one son stayed home to help her, since her pregnancy soon became very complicated. The rest of us went. My travel insurance, after a WHOLE LOT OF WORK (Save all receipts, emails, itineraries and be ready to document EVERYTHING) was finally persuaded to refund me $9000 dollars. It was much appreciated. And that is one reason we are planning our current trip to Europe. So my daughter and her children can go - to Disneyland Paris, because they couldn't make the trip before. The travel insurance will also contact your Travel Agent / Broker in case you make a significant claim, so if your travel agent isn't around or won't work with them, then you are up the creek. SAVE ALL DOCUMENTS AND EMAILS.

Good luck.

Last edited:
There is another older thread you can view, apparently TUGO insurance has some coverage also someone posted this, in my research this one seemed to have a better daily coverage:

Look up Tour+Med. they will cover $50/day for quarantine. I think they also cover $100/day for hotel, you’d have to phone them. Last December they were one of the only companies that covered Covid. This was before our vaccines came out. I bought their insurance and it was quite reasonable.

There is another older thread you can view, apparently TUGO insurance has some coverage also someone posted this, in my research this one seemed to have a better daily coverage:

Look up Tour+Med. they will cover $50/day for quarantine. I think they also cover $100/day for hotel, you’d have to phone them. Last December they were one of the only companies that covered Covid. This was before our vaccines came out. I bought their insurance and it was quite reasonable.

Yeah I think TUGO is who West Jet is using for their complimentary insurance, they clearly state coverage for quarantine stays. TOUR+Med seems to be popular thanks for the up I’ll give them a shout and let everyone know what they say.

Just be very careful to read the fine print. A lot of providers will bill themselves as "covid insurance" but will only cover medical expenses or flight cancellations but NOT hotel stays if you have to quarantine in USA.

THIS! I usually use manulife (and another I can’t recall the name atm) both are no longer providing this coverage and like you say still titling it as “Covid insurance”.

Yeah I think TUGO is who West Jet is using for their complimentary insurance, they clearly state coverage for quarantine stays. TOUR+Med seems to be popular thanks for the up I’ll give them a shout and let everyone know what they say.
I called and talked to a rep at Tugo and they told me that if I wanted to be covered for quarantine I needed to add the non vaccinated portion on. She also told me as long as we were at a level 3 for travel restrictions that it would cover. If we moved up to a level 4 before leaving home then we would not be covered.

As we get closer to leaving I will call again to see what they tell me.

Tour+Med covers 50$/day of expenses in case of quarantine. They do not cover cruises yet (for as long as they are Level 4 and travel advisories).

I noticed that the TUGO unvaccinated coverage (even though only a couple bucks add-in) also has a 300/us deductible. Please let me know if you talk to these companies directly as well, curious which one will actually help if we need to quarantine.

I called TUGO and asked them specifically if they would cover quarantine expenses if you test positive and they said no. It seems like most companies will not while the government still has a travel advisory issued for the US.

Don't interpret what is on their site. Call and speak to a representative and ask them if they cover the exact type of reason you are looking for.

I bought their insurance too last year. I may buy again for upcoming trip. I already have Blue Cross that covers Covid, but not expenses for hotel or quarantine.

I called TUGO and asked them specifically if they would cover quarantine expenses if you test positive and they said no. It seems like most companies will not while the government still has a travel advisory issued for the US.

Don't interpret what is on their site. Call and speak to a representative and ask them if they cover the exact type of reason you are looking for.
This is important because many of us thought they did.

I just Called Tour+Med, they are covering $50 a day for restaurants etc but are not covering Hotel/accommodation expenses. I could have sworn I saw the same thing somewhat recently. Disappointing for sure, I’ll keep looking.

Due to the benefits of on-line meetings I was able to spend 1.5 hours looking for quarantine insurance. I could not find anything for Canadians for sub 31 day trips. From memory Allianz, Manulife and Bluecross did not offer it.

There are U.S. insurers that offer this service but I assumed they would not offer it to Canadians and did not check.

The whole thing is so confusing and we keep getting different answers from the same companies which is adds to the difficulty of finding insurance.
We have used Tugo for travel for years through our local credit union and I have had to claim medical expenses back for having to see a Dr while away. That was all very easy to do, prob the same for other providers as well.

I wonder if West Jet will start something else for flights after October 31st. I would prefer to travel with a coverage for quarantine but if nothing is available it will be a pricy vacation but we will still go. I won't travel without medical coverage though that is a deal breaker.

The whole thing is so confusing and we keep getting different answers from the same companies which is adds to the difficulty of finding insurance.

I’m a law talking guy and even I have trouble interpreting some of the policy language of some insurers. I definitely want the answer to something unclear in an email before committing. That way you can point to it if a denial is attempted.

I’m a law talking guy and even I have trouble interpreting some of the policy language of some insurers. I definitely want the answer to something unclear in an email before committing. That way you can point to it if a denial is attempted.
Absolutely. Keep us posted if you find anything.

Hey folks, wondering if any of you might be able to shed some light on this topic. we’re planning a 7 day trip from Vancouver down to Disney in late October.
I think we have the testing all figured out, thanks to all the great advise on this board but to relieve a bit of anxiety, if forbid we did have a positive result before our return do any of you have recommendations on Covid insurance which would cover the hotel stay required for quarantine before our return? Looks like manulife is no longer covering this (at least for trip of this duration) I did see WestJet has some complimentary coverage?

Any help sending me in the right direction would be much appreciated!
when I look at manulife insurance online it says they cover quarantine cost at $150 per day and 1 million coverage for covid. this is a plan specific to covid with interruption insurance.

when I look at manulife insurance online it says they cover quarantine cost at $150 per day and 1 million coverage for covid. this is a plan specific to covid with interruption insurance.

Quarantine insurance is only applicable if your trip is at least 31 days long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter