Quake

Try not to use a candle after a quake. There could be escaping gas. Use a flashlight.

(time to go check all the flashlights)

Honestly?

I thought it was my Drying Machine. Then I remembered that I wasn't drying anything, lol.
:lmao:

Geez, you guys get ton of shakers. I find myself in disbelief when people say that the Pacific NW has a lot of seismic activity. Yeah, like MICROquakes. You guys get a moderate/severe earthquake every several months. We get one like every 10 years.

We were in the spa at HoJo's when the quake hit. I only had my feet in and was sitting on the side sipping a glass of wine when I wondered why my butt was moving when it was sitting on the side of the spa and not in the jet. knew it wasn't the wine as I'd only had a sip but thought I was going nuts until the others in the area all said at the same time "did you feel that?" . The elevator at HoJo's was then not working so our poor pizza guy had to walk up the stairs. :confused3

Try not to use a candle after a quake. There could be escaping gas. Use a flashlight.

(time to go check all the flashlights)

Yes, I am getting my mini flashlight out to put in the purse and the bigger one to keep next to me while sleeping. Candles are dangerous post quakes, but I had no choice after Northridge. It was pitch black after Northridge, and I wasn't dressed at all and had no idea how to get to the flashlight without stepping on broken things in my bare feet, so I had to borrow the candle from the neighbors so I could get to my clothes and get dressed and then later find the flashlight.

Yes, they are saying on the news that tonight's quake now appears to have been confirmed as a product of the Newport-Inglewood fault, which produced the nasty 1933 Long Beach temblor. Lovely. It is too long after that event to be considered an aftershock of the Long Beach 1933 quake, so it is considered a new one all its own.

sherry I do hope you are able to get some rest tonight. I dont mind earth quakes but I havent been in a bad one yet either, and certainly not after having children....anything freaks me out nowadays. I am getting nervous to travel back to DL as there have been so many quakes. We were lucky not to experience any during our april visit.

sherry I do hope you are able to get some rest tonight. I dont mind earth quakes but I havent been in a bad one yet either, and certainly not after having children....anything freaks me out nowadays. I am getting nervous to travel back to DL as there have been so many quakes. We were lucky not to experience any during our april visit.

Thank you, Krissy! Yes, I will be able to sleep tonight, provided nothing happens that is worse. The Northridge quake was a particular kind of quake that scared and traumatized everyone. If we were to have a 6.7 on the same fault as the quake tonight, it would do a ton of damage and would be equally as traumatizing, I think.

Now, a month ago I would have said, "Krissy, don't you worry - there won't be any quakes when you come next come to DLR." And probably there won't be. But the (cough) very reassuring lady, Lucy, at CalTech (who they always trot out in front of the cameras after any quake) just told us, when asked what the chances were of more quakes, "Well...quakes cause more quakes." Thanks, Lucy! She went on to explain that we are in a period of high quake activity like what we were aparently in in the late '80s and early '90s (ahem, Landers & Big Bear were in 1992 and Northridge happened in 1994 - probably because the ground was shaking so much leading up to 1992 and 1994 that the faults let loose!), and "whenever there is that much ground movement, it is bound to trigger other quakes." Way to put us all at ease, Lucy!:thumbsup2 She said that we had very little quake activity in California in the late '90s and early part of the 2000's, but now we are back in rockin' and a-rollin' mode....so basically, that means, unfortunately, that anything could happen and everybody hang on for the ride!

During an earthquake it is best to stand or sit in a doorway and ride out the earthquake but make sure the door does not take you out. Try to get away from anything that can fly like televisions. I was holding onto my floor lamp to avoid getting bashed or worse having broken glass on the floor.

I bruised my foot during the Whittier eartquake when I went to check on an elderly neighbor. I found out about them nice sharp old terracotta tiles the hard way. One major problem with earthquakes is people running out of buildings and getting hit by debris or stepping on debris.

I rather live here and face the earthquakes. My house is still intact after the Santa Barbara, Loma Prieta, Long Beach, Northridge, and Whittier quakes. She is a shack on the inside right now but on the outside she is a powder blue lady who has stood many an earthquake. I trust her and will stay here for now.

I see Katrina and how people still do not have homes. I rather be rocking in my bed than have my home obliterated by a tornado or flooded. I am happy here.

We just got off Indy when it hit, walked over to space mountain to use our fast passes and the ride was shut down due to the quake, and were testing. Most of the rides we walked by were down, at least they had the fireworks tonight. (side note) I still strongly dislike the celebrate street party parade thing......popcorn::

We just got off Indy when it hit, walked over to space mountain to use our fast passes and the ride was shut down due to the quake, and were testing. Most of the rides we walked by were down, at least they had the fireworks tonight. (side note) I still strongly dislike the celebrate street party parade thing......popcorn::

Been there, done that. :rolleyes: Last summer a quake at DL kept most rides down all day.

Well the problem with a lot of people still not having homes post-Katrina is not based on the type of natural disaster it was - it is based on the government's screw-ups and lack of money. The same thing could happen if we get hit with a whopper quake, except minus the flooding, BUT add in tons of FIRES everywhere and not enough men to fight them. Remember, before Katrina happened, our own Northridge quake was the costliest natural disaster ever. I don't think those folks in Northridge whose apartment building collapsed on top of them were thinking they would rather live in quake country than live in hurricane country or tornado country at that moment. It is all kind of relative. In other words, nothing really hits home for most of us until it....hits home, literally. My friend who has lived his whole life in New Orleans has been through tons of hurricanes and never got scared by them at all - until Katrina, which caused a major problem just getting OUT of the city to a safe place. It just takes one huge event to change one's outlook. We haven't had our massive life-altering quake yet where any of us live. Northridge was as close to it as we came in SoCal, but to the people living IN Northridge, it was life-altering and caused a lot of people to move away because they were traumatized. You know what I mean? With hurricanes and tornados, there is usually some sort of warning. We don't have the luxury of a warning with a bad quake. But, hurricanes and tornados seem to happen like clockwork every year, whereas we don't know every year if there will be a quake. We could go for years without feeling a quake, but we won't know when it's coming. So it is kind of a trade off.

So basically, what I am saying is, I love living in California and I have been here all my life, but quakes scare me to death because of the potential havoc they can cause if they hit right under where I live. The quakes don't happen enough for me at the moment to scare me away YET, but I cannot promise that I wouldn't be shell-shocked enough to leave if a scary one happened 2 miles from where I live and crumbled my roof and walls around me.

Oh man, let's talk about the big SF quake, that was my first CA quake and I didn't even know it was a quake! LOL I got in my car, started it, thought it was running funny and turned it off right as the quake started and then stopped. LOL It was insane! Then we heard about the bridge on the news and that was really weird. I was like 17 or so........

Sherry, Courtney, everyone of my Dis Friends I am so glad you're OK!!!! Now Courtney, Sherry, go BUY FLASHLIGHTS!!!! Holy cow ladies, you gotta have those! We have like 10 in our house in various places! LOL And bottled water, we always have that too. :)

Edited to say that I would much rather deal with quakes then tornados or hurricanes or volcanos, those just freak me out! lol

Oh man, let's talk about the big SF quake, that was my first CA quake and I didn't even know it was a quake! LOL I got in my car, started it, thought it was running funny and turned it off right as the quake started and then stopped. LOL It was insane! Then we heard about the bridge on the news and that was really weird. I was like 17 or so........

Sherry, Courtney, everyone of my Dis Friends I am so glad you're OK!!!! Now Courtney, Sherry, go BUY FLASHLIGHTS!!!! Holy cow ladies, you gotta have those! We have like 10 in our house in various places! LOL And bottled water, we always have that too. :)

Edited to say that I would much rather deal with quakes then tornados or hurricanes or volcanos, those just freak me out! lol

The image of that bridge in that SF quake was so surreal and bizarre! Imagine being on that bridge at that time - how terrifying!

I have a bunch of bottled water actually right by my front door, so when I go bolting for the front door during the next big quake, I will have my water right there at my fingertips and won't have to rummage for it. And I pulled out one flashlight which is on the table next to me when I sleep, and I have a mini flashlight that is purse size. I also have an old Walkman that I can use as an emergency radio for news if need be. I need to stock up on protein bars (Promax is my favorite brand!)...and I keep my shoes right next to me when I sleep in case I have to run out. So I am not 100% prepared but I have some things together.

That must be the Loma Prieda quake, right? That was 89. That was the one that game me nightmares for months. I was 21 and just married a few months and alone in the apartment.

What we do for water- we buy the cases of bottled water at Costco. We use them for lunches but I always keep a stack of 3 cases. That way we always have some and it isn't still there getting stale. I used to have gallon jugs just sitting around but I realized I would be afraid to use them anyway.

That's probably the only thing I do not miss from Southern California: the quakes. :scared: I remember experiencing them as a kid and how they would creep me out. Not fun at all.

I hope everyone is OK!

most important is the batteries not the flashlight. there are crank powered radios also you can get.

A friend of mine had to leave Galveston area for Hurricane Rita. By the time she was home her family work truck was not working, a car was in an accident, they spent tons of money on rooms and gasoline, and spent many hours getting out of the area. They got home to find some water damage from a broken window but worst was that the thieves looted her office and stole the motor from her boat.

I hope we do not have any more for a year or two.

That must be the Loma Prieda quake, right? That was 89. That was the one that game me nightmares for months. I was 21 and just married a few months and alone in the apartment.

What we do for water- we buy the cases of bottled water at Costco. We use them for lunches but I always keep a stack of 3 cases. That way we always have some and it isn't still there getting stale. I used to have gallon jugs just sitting around but I realized I would be afraid to use them anyway.

yup, that was it!!! Scary stuff!!! And I'd been in CA long enough to get over my fear of quakes. LOL That woke it right back up.

I was only 4 years old when the Loma Prieta hit and I can still remember every detail because it was such a traumatic experience. Earthquakes terrify me even more now than they did when I was a kid. I mean, it seems like when you're a kid the worst part is the actual earthquake itself. I have found that as I've gotten older, the worst part of an earthquake is the worrying afterward about whether or not loved ones are okay. That is, unless you're hurt yourself, in which case you should first be concerned about getting yourself to a doctor. Anyway, I have since learned a few things about earthquakes so I hope that when the next big one hits in my area, I'll be prepared and won't panic. Hopefully no one was hurt in this quake. I also hope that all of the So Cal earthquakes die down...

I have lived in Northern California all my life and love it for the most part, but the unpredictability of earthquakes and the impending "big one" is almost enough to make me pack up and move!

I grew up in So Cal, and earthquakes were always second nature. They are over in a couple min. and you assess the damage and move on. I was 8 when the 71 quake hit - our house slipped off it's foundation and some walls came down around our yard. My dad owned a lunch truck biz and his truck slipped into gear and he had to chase it down the street. All of my mom's china broke except a few pieces. Sylmar was a mess, they had just built a new freeway and it came down. In 1985, I was working in downtown L.A. in the Crocker Bank building on the 25th floor, and the building started to sway - a little more creepy than I had experienced before - wasn't sure I wanted to do that again!

I remember the SF quake of 1990 - that was pretty bad with fires and freeways collapsing. Lots of people from our area went up there to help. I had already moved to AZ by the time the Northridge quake hit - so we didn't feel that one.

Probably the scariest quake I ever felt was when we were in AZ, it was 1991, and it was centered in Joshua Tree - middle of the desert. Joshua Tree is about 2 hours from us. My first thought was - hey, why am I feeling a quake in AZ? If I'm feeling it here, it must be pretty bad in CA. So I started crying for all the people in CA. Phone lines were down, we couldn't call any of our friends, so I was really scared for them. Plus, my daughter was visiting her grandmother in CA, so I was very concerned. There's been a few others that we've felt in the middle of the night that have had us jump out of bed - back when we had a waterbed we were always concerned that the bed would fall thru the floor, so we would get off the bed right away. I still get scared when I feel an earthquake in AZ.

Now, when we went back to the midwest last summer, that was scary. Things like tornados I can't handle - it's not something you can walk away from easily. We kept missing tornadoes luckily, but the devastation is overwhelming when you go back to somewhere you recently were and see it all.

Glad everyone was okay :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter