QS plan = horrible

I agree w/ not buying a dessert after every meal. I'd rather have another snack credit. However I do like the desserts in the TS places. I have never done the QS plan but have really enjoyed the DDP. I can see why the QS plan does not appeal.

This will be our first time using QSDP. Usually use TSDP with family and love it. This is an adults only trip and we wanted to "go with the flow" and not be tied down by ressies. However, I am not a big eater. I eat a little here and a little there. I am going in knowing the QSDP will be a waste of our money. I wish I could talk DH into just using gift cards. I could get them at Kroger and get extra points for gas...LOL

I still find QS to be a great deal for us... but we use it to cover all our meals by splitting with our children. There is no way I can eat a full adult meal, my 6 year old doesn't appreciate the kids menu and my 4 year old eats about 200 calories of food each day. Splitting meals and covering three meals a day is the way to go.

I'm kind of bummed we lost a snack though.

Is it true that Cosmic Rays doesn't have the 1/2 chicken and ribs on the menu anymore??

It makes sense with kids, not sure about when they turn 10 and have to pay adult prices though. Convenience and a little savings isn't bad.

The chicken and rib combo is still there. There was a rumor going around because allears didn't have it listed for awhile.

Had a blonde moment and didn't see that the title was QS dining, not regular dining so my apologizes for the long post before.

I think at this point it is simply getting much harder to find areas where you can fully maximize your CS and snack credits. As a lot of posters have already said, for a large number of them it is the convenience of the plan that draws them in, something I myself can understand.

The general theme I tend to see in the Disney sites that I frequent, is that if you have children the dining plans tend to make much more sense as opposed to a party full of adults (unless you do the DxDP and do all signature restaurants).

Yes it started as a QS discussion that turned into all dining plans since we are comparing them anyway. The QS dining plan is definitely the toughest to save with, and now that we lost a snack it's tougher.

I agree w/ not buying a dessert after every meal. I'd rather have another snack credit. However I do like the desserts in the TS places. I have never done the QS plan but have really enjoyed the DDP. I can see why the QS plan does not appeal.

I thought I heard something about trading your dessert for something else... I'm going to have to backtrack through this thread to see if it was mentioned here. That'd be great to be able to trade it for a snack. If anyone knows please do tell.

I know you used to be able to get a bottle of water or fruit(if it was available) instead of the dessert. I'm not sure if that is still true with all the changes they are making. It may just depend on who the cashier is or what location you are at.

RE: The QS dinning plan;

When Disney says you may save up to 10%, you know that 10% is the most you can save if you buy the most expensive things each day.

MAY save UP to 10%? No thank you, I also may not... and may loose money. I am not paying in advance and risking loosing money for the possibility of saving a measly 10%. :sad2:

I would not want to have to eat the most expensive items each day just to get my value. I don't want ribs and chicken at every meal. Sometimes a salad or turkey sandwich sounds a lot more appealing. I also do not want my dessert right after a meal ( and I don't want to try to carry it around the park with me.)

As an adult, I spend less by just purchasing what I want when I want. I can still have chicken and ribs anytime I want. Eating my desserts between meals as a snack not only makes me feel less bloated and more energized, it reduces the amount I want to eat at the next regular meal.

Paying on room charge is just as easy as using QS credits and I run zero risk of paying for something I don't consume. Even for a food lover like me, I find I eat a lot less at Disney than I think I will. And of course if I don't feel well due to illness or fatigue, I have not prepaid for a meal I may not eat.

Unless you have child credits, the QS dinning plan seems more like a way to help people not think about what they are really spending. :rotfl: Of course that is why we have choice, each of us can do what makes us happy. :wizard: Just keep in mind, Disney is a business and they will cut back on items or price up the plan to what ever the market will pay. If you purchase the plan not caring if you loose money...well don't be surprised if they continue to cut back on what you get.

(I remember the days when the regular dinning plan included an appetizer and a dessert... and even the tip was included! )

Edit: I guess I should mention that I really have no use for the resort mug. I spend most of my time in the parks, don't want to carry the mug aroung with me and by the time I get back to the room I am too tired to make a trip to the food court.

Starting recently, the QS dining plan dropped from 2 snacks to 1 and there seems to be restaurants dropping their highest priced meal to be cheaper. For example, does Cosmic Rays still have the chicken and rib combo? It was something around $15 and was a steal with a QS credit.

So, just to do some quick math:

QS dining plan = 2 QS meals, 1 snack = $35

QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + QS meal ($10+$3+$3) + snack ($5) = $37

So... you save $2 only if you really would buy a dessert at each meal. Honestly, I would never buy a dessert at a QS location if it wasn't for the dining plan. I much rather save dessert for an ice cream somewhere else or a funnel cake or something. If you take away the 2 desserts it would come out to $31. Why in the name of heck would I ever buy the QS dining plan anymore? Disney has really gone downhill with this one ;) (that one is for Brunette)

Am I forgetting something here or am I one of the last people to realize what a bad deal this is? Why would Disney think this was ok?

Disney uses the dining plan to artificially increase the price of their food. Nothing like a captive audience to make sure max return on your dollars.

In all seriousness the dining plan is the only way to eat at Disney these days, it's well thought out. Most people would never pay to eat at those restaurants for the prices they charge and the quality of food they get.

This last trip we opted to eat off property. I figured if I am going to spend an average of $150 per dinner might as well go really some place nice.

Best example the meal plan which used to include, 1 CS, 1 TS (app and desert mind you) 1 Snack was like $36 per adult I think and $9.99 for a child. Oh yeah and gratuity was included.

Heh charge more get less.

We love the DDP. We did the basic plan & saved $97.01 on our last trip. Was it a lot of food? yes. Did we eat ALL of it? yes! DBF would like to use it even if it didn't save us money just because of convenience. I like it for both!

I know you used to be able to get a bottle of water or fruit(if it was available) instead of the dessert. I'm not sure if that is still true with all the changes they are making. It may just depend on who the cashier is or what location you are at.

I just wish they would let you exchange the dessert for a snack credit... it seems reasonable to me.

When Disney says you may save up to 10%, you know that 10% is the most you can save if you buy the most expensive things each day.

MAY save UP to 10%? No thank you, I also may not... and may loose money. I am not paying in advance and risking loosing money for the possibility of saving a measly 10%. :sad2:

I would not want to have to eat the most expensive items each day just to get my value. I don't want ribs and chicken at every meal. Sometimes a salad or turkey sandwich sounds a lot more appealing. I also do not want my dessert right after a meal ( and I don't want to try to carry it around the park with me.)

As an adult, I spend less by just purchasing what I want when I want. I can still have chicken and ribs anytime I want. Eating my desserts between meals as a snack not only makes me feel less bloated and more energized, it reduces the amount I want to eat at the next regular meal.

Paying on room charge is just as easy as using QS credits and I run zero risk of paying for something I don't consume. Even for a food lover like me, I find I eat a lot less at Disney than I think I will. And of course if I don't feel well due to illness or fatigue, I have not prepaid for a meal I may not eat.

Unless you have child credits, the QS dinning plan seems more like a way to help people not think about what they are really spending. :rotfl: Of course that is why we have choice, each of us can do what makes us happy. :wizard: Just keep in mind, Disney is a business and they will cut back on items or price up the plan to what ever the market will pay. If you purchase the plan not caring if you loose money...well don't be surprised if they continue to cut back on what you get.

(I remember the days when the regular dinning plan included an appetizer and a dessert... and even the tip was included! )

Edit: I guess I should mention that I really have no use for the resort mug. I spend most of my time in the parks, don't want to carry the mug aroung with me and by the time I get back to the room I am too tired to make a trip to the food court.

This is pretty much how I feel at the moment. If it wasn't for the kids, I'd most likely have bought the TIW card already.

Disney uses the dining plan to artificially increase the price of their food. Nothing like a captive audience to make sure max return on your dollars.

In all seriousness the dining plan is the only way to eat at Disney these days, it's well thought out. Most people would never pay to eat at those restaurants for the prices they charge and the quality of food they get.

This last trip we opted to eat off property. I figured if I am going to spend an average of $150 per dinner might as well go really some place nice.

Best example the meal plan which used to include, 1 CS, 1 TS (app and desert mind you) 1 Snack was like $36 per adult I think and $9.99 for a child. Oh yeah and gratuity was included.

Heh charge more get less.

I like to eat Disney food so I'll deal with it. I imagine with the DxDP it's a really good deal... I just don't know of anyone that eats that much in one day LOL.

We love the DDP. We did the basic plan & saved $97.01 on our last trip. Was it a lot of food? yes. Did we eat ALL of it? yes! DBF would like to use it even if it didn't save us money just because of convenience. I like it for both!

I wish there was a savings amount on each reciept. That way it could show you how much you save without making us go through the trouble of the math haha!

We decided to go ahead and get the QS plan not because it is a good deal but because we never handle the sticker shock of Disney food prices, no matter how much we are prepared for it, no matter how much we save and have on hand. This way, the per meal sticker shock is gone.

We decided to go ahead and get the QS plan not because it is a good deal but because we never handle the sticker shock of Disney food prices, no matter how much we are prepared for it, no matter how much we save and have on hand. This way, the per meal sticker shock is gone.

The thing about that is, even without the meal plan I would charge everything to the room card anyway so I don't even notice a sticker shock. The main shock right now is paying $1400 for a week's worth of food knowing to use it all right I have to pick the most expensive stuff even if I don't feel like eating it.

I just wish they would let you exchange the dessert for a snack credit... it seems reasonable to me.

This is pretty much how I feel at the moment. If it wasn't for the kids, I'd most likely have bought the TIW card already.

I like to eat Disney food so I'll deal with it. I imagine with the DxDP it's a really good deal... I just don't know of anyone that eats that much in one day LOL.

I wish there was a savings amount on each reciept. That way it could show you how much you save without making us go through the trouble of the math haha!

We don't eat a lot, but if you take 2 adults and 1 person to say Biergarten, its 39.99 per adult and 19.99 per child, $100 plus tax oh and say 3 drinks 2 beers and 1 coke for my daughter. Easily $150 with gratuity, for a meal that is no better than the Golden Corral.

I am just saying you don't have to agree, and I am not saying all of Disney's food is bad but it isn't worth the price most of the time.

Wow! I feel as though I had written this! You have described exactly how I feel about the dining plans. They just don't work for my husband and myself. I was thinking about tying the QS plan again for our upcoming trip but decided against it the minute I heard that they had dropped it down to one snack a day. No way. I also feel the same way you do about the amount of eating that we do at WDW. We do not like to be overly full at WDW. If I eat a big meal, there is no way I feel like walking around the parks.....I feel like heading back to the room for a nap. So my husband and I split meals at WDW. That way we eat wonderful meals without feeling stuffed. It works out great for us.....and saves us money because we don't waste food.

While I was considering (and then nixed) the QS plan, I will probably never even consider the TS plan again. We did it once and I felt like we wasted so much of our park time having to plan around our ADR times. When the trip was over, I said never again. While we do a few TS meals during our trips, I don't like being too tied down to meals. That is why I liked the QS plan much better in the past, but it is no deal for us now.

The way we eat at WDW, even the TIW card doesn't work for us. We sat down one day and went through the menus of the places we like to eat, adding up what we would usually order and we would barely break even with the cost of the card. Unless something changes in the future, we'll proabably continue to pay out of pocket for our meals and snacks and be very happy doing so.

My husband and I just returned home after a stay with free QSDP, our first experience with a dining plan. We enjoyed the convenience and tried to make the most of our meal and snack credits. We found the plan easy to use, and if you had any questions about what counts as a snack or meal at any location, the people wrking there were friendly and knowledgeable. There are many choices and places to choose from...and I must mention that Wolfgang Pucks in downtown Disney Marketplace was by fAr our favorite!

In the end, we both decided that Unless the dining plan is free (or included, I realize that you Are most often giving up a room discount to get free dining), for us we would probably be better paying OOP For our food as we have always done up unitl now, as we are not huge eaters. The plan includes dessert with dinner, which we ate because it was included but OOP we would seldom or never order dessert, instead we would prefer a salad or soup with dinner, which is not included. We did have fun using the snack credits and shared some wonderful big ice cream sundaes (now you know why we didn't need dessert with dinner!).

FYI - I think it depends on when you go whether Cosmic Ray's has the rib/chicken combo. They did not have it on the menu during Christmas week. Many of the menus were changed that week.

I feel as if I'm getting in the line of fire here, but I wanted to throw another opinion in the ring.

I'm a super planner. :surfweb: No seriously...I have more spreadsheets about DDP than I know what to do with!

I researched every web site I could find with DDP information on for TS meals. Originally DH and I planned to do the regular DDP and pay OOP for it. After I did all of my research (and made my ADRs) I decided I didn't want to be tied down for meals every day. I wanted to spend our time at the park and enjoy ourselves so I downgraded us to QSDP. Then, I spent more time researching all the good CS places and made my list of places to go based on menu and price. And yes, I agree that with a drink and dessert for lunch and dinner, you'd end up saving money. And if we each get a decent size snack (cupcake, cinnamon roll and steering away from bottled water, fruit, etc.) we'd definitely save money.

So after more research and more thinking, I'm happier just paying OOP instead of giving Disney unnecessary money and worrying about ordering something because it's more expensive vs. what I really want. I'm a penny pincher, so I'd want either get my money's worth! So I'm taking the money we would have spent up front and tossing it on a gift card for us to swipe every time we eat. This way it still feels like it's paid for up front and any money that's leftover our last few days can be spent on things to bring home for our family. We can still have snacks, we can eat when we want, and I don't have to feel rushed or pressured to eat any specific thing at any specific time. Plus I'm more of a grazer. DH will get hungry more often than me, and he can pick things off food carts without worrying if it's a snack credit or a CS credit.

I can definitely see it from both sides, but for us, QSDP just doesn't make sense at this point, especially if I can take that money and eat what I want and take it off my total on a gift card or debit card. Still no bills to come back to afterwards! :)

I know it started off as a thread about the QSDP, but it has turned to a dining plan thread nonetheless, so I'm throwing a scenario out for input.

Our December trip this year (9th - 16th) will include 7 adults and a 1 year-old. I have booked 3 rooms at POP. We will have a military discount on room and tickets. We are, however, planning to purchase the regular DP.

Some of the TS meals we would have would include (if I can get ADRs of course) Le Cellier (probably at lunch), Boma, a character meal (most likely a breakfast), Ohana (based on what I've seen here), and a few others - maybe one 2TS meal because we will arrive late on a Sunday and leave early the next Sunday so we could bank the TS from night 1 and have a 2TS another night).

Some of the counter meals that we enjoy are: FTBBQ, Backlot in HS, the Mexican cs in Epcot, or maybe the France cs, Columbia Harbour House in MK, WPE in DTD, and we would probably have at least one cs meal at the POP food court.

We will probably use snack credits for breakfast items at POP to supplement cereal/energy bars and juices we will bring from home, and to eat a Dole Whip in MK, as well as maybe fruit bowls or pretzels in AK.

If these were your tentative plans, do YOU think a DDP would be worth it?

I know it started off as a thread about the QSDP, but it has turned to a dining plan thread nonetheless, so I'm throwing a scenario out for input.

Our December trip this year (9th - 16th) will include 7 adults and a 1 year-old. I have booked 3 rooms at POP. We will have a military discount on room and tickets. We are, however, planning to purchase the regular DP.

Some of the TS meals we would have would include (if I can get ADRs of course) Le Cellier (probably at lunch), Boma, a character meal (most likely a breakfast), Ohana (based on what I've seen here), and a few others - maybe one 2TS meal because we will arrive late on a Sunday and leave early the next Sunday so we could bank the TS from night 1 and have a 2TS another night).

Some of the counter meals that we enjoy are: FTBBQ, Backlot in HS, the Mexican cs in Epcot, or maybe the France cs, Columbia Harbour House in MK, WPE in DTD, and we would probably have at least one cs meal at the POP food court.

We will probably use snack credits for breakfast items at POP to supplement cereal/energy bars and juices we will bring from home, and to eat a Dole Whip in MK, as well as maybe fruit bowls or pretzels in AK.

If these were your tentative plans, do YOU think a DDP would be worth it?

This is something only you and your party can decide. Many here have stated they prefer the dining plan for convenience. Depending on how organized or unorganized your party is, you may or may not prefer it. If it comes down to savings, let's see. Remember, you won't be ordering any appetizers or alcohol on the dining plan unless you pay OOP. So for you Le Cellier Lunch day:

Dining plan = •Adults: $51.54 (regular season) | $53.54 (peak season*)

Le Cellier Lunch (Adult)
Highest price entree = $31.99
Soft Drink = $ 2.99
Dessert = $ 6.99
Total = $41.97

Let's just say you eat dinner at Sunshine Season QS:
Reuben Panini = $ 8.99
Soft Drink = $ 2.79
Dessert = $ 3.99
Total = $15.77

Let' say as a snack you get a pretzel = $4

Your total spending for the day = $61.74

That's a good savings right there for $8.20 and that's WITHOUT even thinking about tax. Maybe a tax expert can jump in and let us know what he tax would be on all this. I'll take a guess and say with tax you could save up to $15 dollars a day in this example.

Now remember, if you had ordered... say... Open-faced Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich ($13.99) at Le Cellier instead of the New York Strip ($31.99) you will have lost money on the dining plan. You could lose even more if you order a cheaper snack (bottled soda) and if you would get... say... breakfast instead of lunch at a QS location.

You really have to keep it in mind to order the more expensive stuff in order to make out with the DDP. You don't have to order the most expensive item every time, but it helps.

I would love to hear reviews of the people who have paid for and used the 2012 QSDP to see if they saved any money or not. I have changed our April/May ressie removing the QSDP. I would be glad to let everyone know if we come out better or not.

My wife is someone that's on the other side of the fence from me on this topic. She likes the dining plans for convenience and "peace of mind" effect it has. She never saw this thread and I never mentioned it to her, but when I asked her she said these things, so similar to what's been stated on this thread.

However, since I'm the one paying, I rather have the option that costs less money. I also want to order what I want, and not have to order from a predetermined list. So I'm staying on this side of the fence for now. The TIW card sounds the best for me, however, I don't get AP's every year....

:confused3

I think I view convenience a little different than some. We've done it both ways, and honestly, with the regular DP you still pay a good 15-20 dollars per meal in tips, and with QS your options are a bit more limited. Having to fit into a mold of what we eat is not convenient to me. I can assure you price wise, you do just fine to pay out of pocket and eat WHAT YOU WANT. We still make some table restaurant choices since we like to sit down and have our fav's. But, as other's pointed out, I may want an appetizer then, or may not want dessert, but as I'm strolling around Epcot, may want my dessert, which by the way, may cost a dollar more than a snack credit, so I'll get that item. But, if I was on the DP, I may say, Oh, that's not a snack credit, can't get it! To me, being under my own control is more convenient.
Would I accept free dining, absolutely! But we don't have that option this trip and will be paying out of pocket. Oh, and some days we just snack around grabbing whatever we want to try wherever. This food may not fit into a mold of accepted purchases. I do have 4 ADR's booked during this time of places we love, and plan on stopping by 2 that do not accept ADR's. I've done the math on everything like you did OP and I also will not be thinking with how to maximize my credits or not eat breakfast with this or that because of the credits, etc., no, our freedom = convenience to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter