QS Menu Changes

PryncessChrysty

Merrily on our way to nowhere in particular
I was confused by the complaints of there now being only one place to get a burger in MK. For years, podcast members have lamented about the lack of choices in the quick service menus at WDW with most options being burgers or chicken nuggets, and have said you wished there were more variety like there is in Disneyland. I can only think of 1 QS place in DL where you can get a burger.
The menu change at Peco's Bills (and now Tortuga Tavern, too) is a step in that direction. Personally, I think it makes more sense to serve Mexican (inspired) food there. It's similar to Rancho Del Zocalo in DL, in both location and theme. I think it's great that they're offering a variety of menus, and better suited to the land/area it's being served in.

I don't remember ever having a good burger at a Disney CS location so I am optimistic about the changes. Worst case scenario we get a different mediocre CS option, best case we replaced the mediocre burger with a decent burrito.

I'm sure the rising popularity of Chipotle combined with the waning demand for burger based fast food also went into the decision along with matching the menu a little more closely with the land.

I was confused by the complaints of there now being only one place to get a burger in MK. For years, podcast members have lamented about the lack of choices in the quick service menus at WDW with most options being burgers or chicken nuggets, and have said you wished there were more variety like there is in Disneyland. I can only think of 1 QS place in DL where you can get a burger.
The menu change at Peco's Bills (and now Tortuga Tavern, too) is a step in that direction. Personally, I think it makes more sense to serve Mexican (inspired) food there. It's similar to Rancho Del Zocalo in DL, in both location and theme. I think it's great that they're offering a variety of menus, and better suited to the land/area it's being served in.[/QUOTE
PrincessChrystay - I have to both give you props, and say "thank you" - I NEVER would have looked at it this way if you hadn't so eloquently stated it. My initial thought would have been "Oh great - somewhere else I won't eat" because the menu at Pecos Bill's is just not my type of food at all". I also would have - without thinking about it - agreed with the thought that "there is nowhere else at MK to get a burger" (because that would be more to my liking). But you raise some very valid points - and I now agree with you, for exactly the reasons you stated.

I thank you for opening my mind, and seeing things from a different angle. It's nice to see "calm debate" and well stated opinions here, even if you don't always agree. I think this is exactly what these boards are supposed to be.

PrincessChrystay - I have to both give you props, and say "thank you" - I NEVER would have looked at it this way if you hadn't so eloquently stated it. My initial thought would have been "Oh great - somewhere else I won't eat" because the menu at Pecos Bill's is just not my type of food at all". I also would have - without thinking about it - agreed with the thought that "there is nowhere else at MK to get a burger" (because that would be more to my liking). But you raise some very valid points - and I now agree with you, for exactly the reasons you stated.

I thank you for opening my mind, and seeing things from a different angle. It's nice to see "calm debate" and well stated opinions here, even if you don't always agree. I think this is exactly what these boards are supposed to be.

I absolutely agree with the OP. For years, I hunted for alternatives to the generic burger & chicken nuggets and thought why couldn't they offer something more unique. After reading the new menus, I'm not sure that I'm excited by the new offerings enough to drop my favs at eg Columbia Harbour House, but its a big, bold step forward. I'm positive there will be lots of tinkering with the new menus over the year and in the very near future as they see what moves and what doesn't. I'm guessing the Christmas crowds will be a big test for those menus. I also really enjoyed Craig's mini review of the new Pecos Bills menu on the show yesterday and it reminded me that while the plate purchased may look plain (and more than a little gross), if you get yourself over to the new toppings bar and load it up with what you actually want, it can make the dish so much more appealing. I'm guessing part of the lacklustre response to the new menus is the actual reality that many people were comfortable with the old burgers & nuggets with a few little favs like the taco bowl dish. There was a reason why MK hung in with the same old thing for so long. What to take from this? Maybe 1) try to support the new menus when you are there to encourage more change and 2) if you have to eat at Cosmic Rays, do it during off peak dining hrs cause it will be swamped. The bad food bay set up will be a bigger nightmare now that families with kids in tow descend on it for their burger & nuggets.

3 or the past 4 leaving the park surveys I have taken were about food, so Disney over the past year has definitely been looking at how to improve that aspect of the park. I remember the one I took at MK was specifically about food options. I stated there was lack of them and that they need better variety. The most recent one I took was at Animal Kingdom, that was more focused on food quality and dining comfort. I think Disney is starting to look again at how to improve the overall guest experience and we will see lots of little changes such as these new menus as long the the parks remain busy.

I only wish that our only burger option wasn't Cosmic Rays. I don't enjoy visiting that madhouse any more than we have to.

I would like to see a couple of places that serve burgers and make those good ones. I'd like to see good Tex-Mex too but the pictures I've seen of the food don't look like Tex-Mex to me. I'm waiting for more reviews. I agree that variety is a good thing.

It has been a few years since I've had it but there was a bison burger at The Wave that was excellent. By far the best I've had on property though I know I haven't had them all. If someone wants to exit the madness that is MK to grab lunch and want a good burger it is worth the walk or monorail trip IMO.

I always find burgers to be too heavy for the theme park, especially in warmer weather. I think the changes are great, especially after Craig talked about the "fixins bar".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter